PDA

View Full Version : Please don't shout at me but....

heli flyer
20th November 2015, 15:29
i've put Steel Seal in my KV6. I know,I know it is not something I would normally do but my 190 is used everyday and I can't have it hanging around in bits for days. I have posted a few threads on here in the past relating to overheating, pressurisation, coolant loss and so on. The original problem, it would appear, was when some muppet put K seal in it which then promptly blocked the oil cooler. To cut a long story short, all these problems have now been sorted with the exception of a small coolant loss. After a sniffer test was done, the colour of the test liquid changed from blue to yellow very quickly, indicating HGF. In went the Steel Seal. No particles in it, just a liquid which looked to have the viscosity of washing up liquid. After 300 and then again at 500 miles,the sniffer test was repeated and the test liquid remained blue. HGF fixed? Probably since running the OBD temps remain perfect and only a barely detectable sigh when undoing the pressure cap when cold. How long will it last? All I can do is wait and see.
However, the small coolant loss remains. There are no external leaks (as far as I can tell) On start up in the morning, I have a misfire which clears after about a minute, after that ,no problem. Diagnostics show a mis-fire on cyl. no.5, confirmed by looking at the spark plug which was pretty fouled. So today, new plugs in and I suspect all will be fine for a couple of days until the mis-fire returns. I suspect a leaking IMG unless any of you fine chaps can suggest a darker reason?
I will sort this, it's getting silly now!:duh:

murphyv310
20th November 2015, 15:39
i've put Steel Seal in my KV6. I know,I know it is not something I would normally do but my 190 is used everyday and I can't have it hanging around in bits for days. I have posted a few threads on here in the past relating to overheating, pressurisation, coolant loss and so on. The original problem, it would appear, was when some muppet put K seal in it which then promptly blocked the oil cooler. To cut a long story short, all these problems have now been sorted with the exception of a small coolant loss. After a sniffer test was done, the colour of the test liquid changed from blue to yellow very quickly, indicating HGF. In went the Steel Seal. No particles in it, just a liquid which looked to have the viscosity of washing up liquid. After 300 and then again at 500 miles,the sniffer test was repeated and the test liquid remained blue. HGF fixed? Probably since running the OBD temps remain perfect and only a barely detectable sigh when undoing the pressure cap when cold. How long will it last? All I can do is wait and see.
However, the small coolant loss remains. There are no external leaks (as far as I can tell) On start up in the morning, I have a misfire which clears after about a minute, after that ,no problem. Diagnostics show a mis-fire on cyl. no.5, confirmed by looking at the spark plug which was pretty fouled. So today, new plugs in and I suspect all will be fine for a couple of days until the mis-fire returns. I suspect a leaking IMG unless any of you fine chaps can suggest a darker reason?
I will sort this, it's getting silly now!:duh:

Hi.
I'd doubt anyone would shout at you, especially as you've done the deed :eek:
I did consider this option but It certainly would have made not a jot of difference to mine as I've not got HGF.
All I can say is to keep an eye on it and the running temperature, I do hope you thoroughly flushed out the system, no rust or signs of sealer (K seal) in the coolant before adding the steel seal.
Lets hope you get some use out of the car without problems. The IMG gasket could be leaking slightly and if you have replaced it, check the manifold bolts for tightness.
Good luck

heli flyer
20th November 2015, 15:47
Thanks for that Trevor. Yes, all was done, flushed etc. Have to say, after having the 190 for nearly four years and covering around 40,000 miles (now on 104,000) it has never broken down. But it has always had this coolant issue which has made it somewhat of a mission now to get it sorted!
Cheers,
Will:D

kaiser
20th November 2015, 19:01
There are a lot of people that will give you advice. Very few know what they are talking about.
I have used Wondarweld in the past and my car was cured. (1.8T look it up, long story!)
I only opened the engine much later because my cam belt was destroyed by the aux belt and the valves were damaged and so was one piston.
I had no blockage of my heater and no passage way were blocked.

But be that as it may, just remember, always ask the guy that gives you advice why he says what he does, and you will be surprised, well, my brothers uncle, one of my neighbours, I heard it at the pub etc etc. They haven't got a clue!

I think in your case you have a leaking inlet manifold, and that is not difficult to fix.

But, if you stand in a situation where the engine is giving trouble, and you either have to pull it or try a thing like Wondarweld, I see absolutely no harm in trying. I did, and I had no lasting ill effects. In spite of all the "advice"!

So make up your own mind and take any advice, including this :D, with a healthy dose of salt!:cool: