PDA

View Full Version : speed locking, can it be disabled?

Mangizmo
21st November 2015, 19:30
having had a struggle replacing my drivers side door lock and handle ( not keen on that design but it works I suppose), I would like to do away with speed sensitive locking, can that be disabled?, I cant really see the point?
PS the Haynes manual said nothing about that pulley arrangement that goes from the door barrel to the front door lock, it took me ages to work out why my handle mounting plate wouldnt come out :-)

Rick-sta
21st November 2015, 19:32
yes it can be disabled :) just requires a t4 to disable the option :) I guess it's only really useful if you live in a really rough area ;)

topman
21st November 2015, 19:37
As above someone with a T4 diagnostic machine can turn it off. I had mine turned off as I found it annoying.

Dave Goody
21st November 2015, 19:45
yes it can be disabled :) just requires a t4 to disable the option :) I guess it's only really useful if you live in a really rough area ;)

Are there good areas? I thought I lived in a very low crime area, in a village, very quiet. Someone stabbed to death 1 mile down the road last week.
Auto locking is a very good idea, you never know when stopping at lights if a low life is going to open the door? Picking up my daughter from a nightclub at 2am two drunks got into the back seat of my other car, thought it was a taxi.
Beer ended up over the seats and doors slammed as they got out, it could have turned nasty. Keep the auto locking, you never know what might happen in any area.

freck
21st November 2015, 19:47
Speedlocking doesn't bother me as I have it in all my other cars (BMWs :getmecoat:) but it's not on the Rover.....might have it added :D

freck
21st November 2015, 19:51
Are there good areas? I thought I lived in a very low crime area, in a village, very quiet. Someone stabbed to death 1 mile down the road last week.
Auto locking is a very good idea, you never know when stopping at lights if a low life is going to open the door? Picking up my daughter from a nightclub at 2am two drunks got into the back seat of my other car, thought it was a taxi.
Beer ended up over the seats and doors slammed as they got out, it could have turned nasty. Keep the auto locking, you never know what might happen in any area.

Years ago I had a girlfriend who had a black Ford Sierra.
She was forever getting people jumping in the back driving in town, thinking it was a taxi :D so she just locked all the doors every time she got in.

chipsceola
21st November 2015, 19:55
Yep don't kid yourself about North Devon, years back had an SDi V8, en route to my caravan in Winkleigh, middle of nowhere and a guy lying in the road on a Saturday afternoon, stopped to check him .... back door opened, his mate climbed in a tried to remove my elderly male rear passenger by pulling at his tie, guy on floor got up and approached my door, stuck head in and ............

I asked how fast can you run as I hit the switch to close window and let up the clutch ....... adding get him out now or were going find out.

Unknown to me a village fete' (fair) was on nearby they had been at the cider and thought to get a lift by hi-jacking me, not a good idea with a Rover V8 :}

steve-45
21st November 2015, 21:07
Similar happened to me in East London, pulled up at lights and someone walked over and grabbed the front of my shirt through the open window ( as door was locked ).

I used my free hand to hit the window button and trapped his arm in the door.

It really surprised him as not many cars had electric windows back in 1975 - but mum's Volvo estate did. :D

marinabrian
21st November 2015, 22:07
Speedlocking is the spawn of the devil, and is banished from my fleet :devil:

What you really need is a Mk4 Cortina with a rear window louvre ;)

SXSSrBBZV_8

Brian :D

A19_Graham
21st November 2015, 22:13
Speedlocking doesn't bother me as I have it in all my other cars (BMWs :getmecoat:) but it's not on the Rover.....might have it added :D

But the 75, unlike (or should that be unlock:duh:) other makers, the doors don't unlock when the car stops!!

freck
21st November 2015, 22:18
But the 75, unlike (or should that be unlock:duh:) other makers, the doors don't unlock when the car stops!!

Ah, I see, didn't realise that. Don't want it then :D

marinabrian
21st November 2015, 22:19

Wise decision ;)

Leave the speedlocking for South African owners I say :getmecoat:

Heddy
21st November 2015, 22:21
Can't see the point of speedlocking when you have the option of locking the doors manually anyway via the button near the gearstick :shrug:

steve-45
21st November 2015, 22:36
I assume that the doors automatically unlock if the airbags trigger ?

A19_Graham
21st November 2015, 22:39
I assume that the doors automatically unlock if the airbags trigger ?

"Allegedly" :shrug:

bl52krz
21st November 2015, 22:58
Works as a anti jacking/theft deterrent too if you think about it, especially for the woman in your life out on her own.

marinabrian
21st November 2015, 23:31
Works as a anti jacking/theft deterrent too if you think about it, especially for the woman in your life out on her own.

This was never was a problem for The Mrs (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=35556) on her rounds as a community midwife in one of the less salubrious areas of Newcastle, day or night.

Why worry, I don't and nor does she ;)

However, I sometimes worry about newbie members :eek:

spyder
22nd November 2015, 00:22
Wise decision ;)

Leave the speedlocking for South African owners I say :getmecoat:

I drove two Marinas there Brian, nobody ever tried to hijack me or steal them.
besides, I have to agree it is a terrible invention.

trikey
22nd November 2015, 00:40
I dunno what's wrong with you all, speed locking is great ;)

muggerbee
22nd November 2015, 00:58
it's a PITA, got it on the 1.8T, pull up in traffic to load up a kid , then stab at the unlock button while they wreck the rear door mech, not enabled on the tourer and politely declined the option when russ had it on the T4. IMHO it goes into room 101 with rear light seals, plenum chambers with electronics in them and sunroof drains designed by king neptune to promote underwater living :)

Mangizmo
22nd November 2015, 05:33

Well thats a good point, in the event of an accident, is it not potentially dangerous to be locked in a car ?, what about if the accident disconnected the battery, then you cant get out!!!, dont like it dont like it dont like it, rubbish idea imo and a 75 is a seriously duifficult car to open when not intended, as I found out when I locked my keys in the boot (sealed boot with no way to drop the seats), the security system is very efficient at stopping unauthorized opening of doors
Or does the system allow you to mechanically open doors when battery is disconnected ?......haven't tried it, but the fewer times that locking system goes up/down/up/down the better considering what a pain it is to repair central locking faults

freck
22nd November 2015, 07:01
One of the first production TVR Cerberas highlighted the problem of electrical locking in an accident, although not really the Speedlocking issue.
A customer was driving down the motorway and an electrical fault started a fire. He pulled onto the hard shoulder and tried to get out but the door release wiring had failed due to the fire and he couldn't release the door :eek:(solenoid release doors)
He ended up having to kick out a window and climb out before the car went up completely. Very lucky guy, the car was totalled :eek:
After this incident manual door release pulls were fitted behind a small panel in each footwell, something which should really have been thought out beforehand. :duh:

HarryM1BYT
22nd November 2015, 08:26

I agree...

Earlier in the week I had a call from a local elderly friend and forum member, who never posts on the forum. He related an incident which really shook him up during the week.

A car drove into his, apparently deliberately in a slow moving traffic queue, then the two occupants jumped out opened his two front doors and demanded £200 to repair their 'damage' or his insurance details. He had the good sense and luckily the space to drive off, to eventually loose the other car after a frantic chase.

HarryM1BYT
22nd November 2015, 08:34
Well thats a good point, in the event of an accident, is it not potentially dangerous to be locked in a car ?, what about if the accident disconnected the battery, then you cant get out!!!, dont like it dont like it dont like it, rubbish idea imo and a 75 is a seriously duifficult car to open when not intended, as I found out when I locked my keys in the boot (sealed boot with no way to drop the seats), the security system is very efficient at stopping unauthorized opening of doors
Or does the system allow you to mechanically open doors when battery is disconnected ?......haven't tried it, but the fewer times that locking system goes up/down/up/down the better considering what a pain it is to repair central locking faults

There is a mechanical override, you simply pull the internal handle twice to get out.

I'm not sure, but I think in the event of an accident, the door locks are released and maybe the hazard lights come on too. I know the for sure fuel pumps are disabled. There is a crash sensor hidden behind the panel to the left of the passengers knee.

Duotone
22nd November 2015, 14:10
I dunno what's wrong with you all, speed locking is great ;)

I love speed locking, had it on all my 75's. Marinabrian was horrified to find it on my 75 and tried to persuade me to have it taken off as it wears out the door lock mechanisms. I suppose it puts more strain on the door locks but as I don't do that many short journeys, I'll risk it.

I refused to have it taken off as I love the feature.

Dave T

wesley
22nd November 2015, 14:41

but theres a dead easy mod which makes the doors unlock when you completley switch off the ignition if that helps.

marinabrian
22nd November 2015, 19:41
but theres a dead easy mod which makes the doors unlock when you completley switch off the ignition if that helps.

So what? it's still a rubbish "feature", I don't live in downtown Johannesburg, and I don't have any worries about someone carjacking me to steal what is in all fairness an old banger.

I will be removing speedlocking on a BMW Mini next week too.

The Rover 25 if speedlocking is enabled, opens the doors when the ignition is turned off, why this wasn't standard on the "flagship" model, who knows :shrug:

However given that 75 door locks are made of cream cheese, the less wear and tear the better.

Incidentally most cars with Speedlocking enabled, have never had their electronic PDI carried out ;)

Mangizmo
22nd November 2015, 19:47
So what? it's still a rubbish "feature", I don't live in downtown Johannesburg, and I don't have any worries about someone carjacking me to steal what is in all fairness an old banger

totally agree, just replaced the drivers door lock, what a pain of a job, its a very annoying feature that knackers your drivers door lock in particular, i will get it removed asap
who wants to replace this monstrosity?
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/612/22585974093_1d94e29c88_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ApR2dr)IMG_0828 (https://flic.kr/p/ApR2dr) by Mangizmo Brean (https://www.flickr.com/photos/100697961@N05/), on Flickr

wutang
22nd November 2015, 20:07
Got speed locking on the wifes pug 3008 and love it, about 12 months ago 15 miles away from us a lady pulled up at a set of lights and someone opened the rear door of the car and attempted to steal her child. Given that on the pug it does unlock when you remove the key and can be turned on or off in the car menu.

klarzy
22nd November 2015, 20:10
So what? it's still a rubbish "feature", I don't live in downtown Johannesburg, and I don't have any worries about someone carjacking me to steal what is in all fairness an old banger.

The Rover 25 if speedlocking is enabled, opens the doors when the ignition is turned off, why this wasn't standard on the "flagship" model, who knows :shrug:

However given that 75 door locks are made of cream cheese, the less wear and tear the better.

Incidentally most cars with Speedlocking enabled, have never had their electronic PDI carried out ;)

is speedlock on / off a matter of ZCS coding Brian?

trikey
22nd November 2015, 20:13
totally agree, just replaced the drivers door lock, what a pain of a job, its a very annoying feature that knackers your drivers door lock in particular, i will get it removed asap
who wants to replace this monstrosity?
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/612/22585974093_1d94e29c88_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ApR2dr)IMG_0828 (https://flic.kr/p/ApR2dr) by Mangizmo Brean (https://www.flickr.com/photos/100697961@N05/), on Flickr

Its only 5 torx screws :D

Mangizmo
22nd November 2015, 20:16
Got speed locking on the wifes pug 3008 and love it, about 12 months ago 15 miles away from us a lady pulled up at a set of lights and someone opened the rear door of the car and attempted to steal her child. Given that on the pug it does unlock when you remove the key and can be turned on or off in the car menu.

being able to turn it off in menu would be good, the problem is for us that these are old cars now, spares are going to become scares, most modern cars will likely have developed so many electrical faults within 10 years that they will be thrown away and another car leased or whatever the current trend is, can you imagine trying to fix a top of the range kia sportage in 15 years time, I dont think anybody will bother, speed locking is a reasonable feature on a car you intend to exchange within 5 years, the Rover speed locking is half baked and better disabled on a car of this age unless you enjoy repairing central locking systems

wullie480
22nd November 2015, 20:17
I know the for sure fuel pumps are disabled. There is a crash sensor hidden behind the panel to the left of the passengers knee.

Mine didn't after my accident as I started the car without having to reset the switch also no hazards came on the only hazard about was the idiot in the transit who pulled out in front of me :mad: still peeved about it.

marinabrian
22nd November 2015, 20:21
is speedlock on / off a matter of ZCS coding Brian?

It's in the auxiliary coding Pete, dealer options ;)

Mangizmo
22nd November 2015, 20:24
Its only 5 torx screws :D

Yes and the removal of the door card, if the handle link comes away like it did on mine, removal of the handle, and barel pulley link, handle backplate, replace the central locking unit only to find that the used (we can only buy used) unit was also faulty, order another, , then connect that flimsy plastic actuator link, refit the pulley to the barrel and the door rod, replace the door card along with the plastic fasteners, reconect the handle, yep, no problem, cant wait to do it again

klarzy
22nd November 2015, 20:25
It's in the auxiliary coding Pete, dealer options ;)

non accessable by mere mortals...:shrug:

trikey
22nd November 2015, 20:43
Yes and the removal of the door card, if the handle link comes away like it did on mine, removal of the handle, and barel pulley link, handle backplate, replace the central locking unit only to find that the used (we can only buy used) unit was also faulty, order another, , then connect that flimsy plastic actuator link, refit the pulley to the barrel and the door rod, replace the door card along with the plastic fasteners, reconect the handle, yep, no problem, cant wait to do it again

It does get easier when you have done a few ;)

Mangizmo
22nd November 2015, 20:53
It does get easier when you have done a few ;)
Yes I agree, I was completely unaware of the pulley link to the barrel, not in the Haynes and I havent seen it mentioned here, couldnt understand why the handle backplate wouldnt come away like it said in the Haynes manual
If I did it again it would be much much easier

wesley
22nd November 2015, 21:11

my intentions was to let people know that there is another way. i asumed people were able to put forward ideas to possibly help others without having to put up with your coments.

marinabrian
23rd November 2015, 04:49
my intentions was to let people know that there is another way. i asumed people were able to put forward ideas to possibly help others without having to put up with your coments.

If you don't like me or my views Wesley.....dead easy put me on your ignore list, if you have something useful in terms of an explanation or expansion of you original post then why not tell everyone about it ;)

However if you feel you need speedlocking because you feel insecure driving around in something as small as a Rover 75 then fine, it's just not for me.

It is a completely useless feature, which after all if you feel vulnerable you can press the button on the centre console, or knock the sill button down with your elbow to lock the doors.

Another reason not to have speedlocking enabled, if you have passengers who are not used to having to pull the door handle twice to open the door, you don't end up with the oval finishers snapping of when the handle is pulled too hard.

Back to you.

johnnyb44
23rd November 2015, 05:04
I had the speed locking feature activated a few months back. Three weeks later I promptly had it deactivated. It drove me and the wife round the twist having to pull the door handle twice to let us out. I got the impression something was going to break if I kept on using it for any length of time.
Not for me I'm afraid.
Johnny

Mangizmo
23rd November 2015, 06:11
I had the speed locking feature activated a few months back. Three weeks later I promptly had it deactivated. It drove me and the wife round the twist having to pull the door handle twice to let us out. I got the impression something was going to break if I kept on using it for any length of time.
Not for me I'm afraid.
Johnny

Particularly hard on drivers door lock mechanism as it doubles the number of actuation's and hence halves its life, as we can only replace with used units it makes sense to me to disable it, and the drivers door is the biggest hassle to replace and the most inconvenient when it fails, my 15 year old saloon without speed locking has never had a problem, my mark 2 is younger and lower mileage but has it and the drivers door lock has failed.

murphyv310
23rd November 2015, 13:43
Hi.
There's been two things I enabled with T4 that I promptly removed, one was the Speed locking and the other was DRL, the DRL's used the dip beam which I didn't like.
I have engaged lazy lock which I think is actually quite useful!

Duotone
23rd November 2015, 14:56

In 2004 the brand new facelift 75 I bought had the speed locking enabled on delivery.

I believe most of the facelift 75's and ZT's had it enabled before they left Longbridge.

Certainly all the facelift 75's and ZT's that left the JCT 600 Wakefield dealership had this feature enabled, as I asked and evidently is was part of new instructions from MG Rover to check that speed locking enabled and should only be switched off at the customers request.

Dave T

Mangizmo
23rd November 2015, 16:34
My father in Law was having some work done on his Suzuki Vitara (he had to have the DPF refitted as it had been removed to get through the MOT), they remaped it back in, I asked if they had T4 software, they do
dealer is Barry Hews, expensive professional looking place, but they have T4 apparently

http://barryhewsautos.boschauto.co.uk/

I will have the speed locking disabled next week:}

Mangizmo
23rd November 2015, 16:36
Hi.
There's been two things I enabled with T4 that I promptly removed, one was the Speed locking and the other was DRL, the DRL's used the dip beam which I didn't like.
I have engaged lazy lock which I think is actually quite useful!

what is lazy lock??

murphyv310
23rd November 2015, 19:27
Hi.
With the key in the drivers door lock, you turn the key to lock the car and hold it in that position, the windows will then close.

klarzy
23rd November 2015, 20:15
Hi.
With the key in the drivers door lock, you turn the key to lock the car and hold it in that position, the windows will then close.

and lazy open will do the opposite, sunroof and all if you have one...;)