PDA

View Full Version : No gears.

lathbury
22nd November 2015, 08:52
I went out in the car today to try to see how hot the engine got, I am having heater problems, after a while I couldn't change gear. The lever would not go into any gear. Good job it was Sunday morning. I switched off and tried again. The gears seemed okay, but the clutch pedal was not returning fully. I had a new clutch fitted a couple of years ago with both cylinders changed. I do minimum mileage so no worn out clutch. I have a full AA warranty, is this problem covered by it?. Thanks, John.

super s
22nd November 2015, 09:30
probably it does, here in Portugal a full warranty usually covers gearbox and engine...

did you bleed it well???

marinabrian
22nd November 2015, 09:39
I went out in the car today to try to see how hot the engine got, I am having heater problems, after a while I couldn't change gear. The lever would not go into any gear. Good job it was Sunday morning. I switched off and tried again. The gears seemed okay, but the clutch pedal was not returning fully. I had a new clutch fitted a couple of years ago with both cylinders changed. I do minimum mileage so no worn out clutch. I have a full AA warranty, is this problem covered by it?. Thanks, John.

Your floor mat hasn't ridden up under the pedal by any chance?

Brian :D

lathbury
22nd November 2015, 15:44
Thanks super-s and Brian, I will call the AA tomorrow, the carpet is clear of the pedal. I went for a long drive this morning and as the time went on the gear change got tighter until I could not engage any gear at all. When I turned the engine off I could select each gear. John.

trikey
22nd November 2015, 16:56
At keast your bell housing contained the bearings, i had a 75 once that didnt, like little bullets they were :eek:

FrenchMike
22nd November 2015, 17:10

Hi,
Hydraulic issue ,IMO

Two questions

have you lost fluid ?

What master ? plastic or metal ?

Mike

lathbury
22nd November 2015, 18:38
Thanks everyone for all the advice. The master was replaced about three years ago, with the clutch and slave. The gear change has been sticky for a couple of years before and after the clutch change. I have been to several clutch garages, and they all tell me there is nothing wrong, I knew there was. I don't know which master is fitted as I can't bend down enough to see it. I will call the AA tomorrow as I have a full warranty with them. Again, many thanks. John.

Peter Garton
23rd November 2015, 05:24
Had this symptom and it was the master cylinder. As you say, one simply cannot physically change gears at all. However one can, actually,:} but it is a terrible fiddle, depending on the revs. so one can get home at least.:cool:

lathbury
23rd November 2015, 11:40
I went to the shops this morning and the gear change was back to normal, sticky gear changes. I have good pressure from the pedal. I have not called the AA, as there are no symptoms to show. Many thanks for all the help. John.

FrenchMike
23rd November 2015, 14:04
I went to the shops this morning and the gear change was back to normal, sticky gear changes. I have good pressure from the pedal. I have not called the AA, as there are no symptoms to show. Many thanks for all the help. John.

Hi John,

Before all,read this :

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=230625

It could become a common issue ....

Mike

old-oily
25th November 2015, 12:08
Hi lathbury
I had a similar problem few years ago. Hit and miss gear selection, serious grunt needed to engage gears. Long story short, the gear selection cables going over the rear of the front subframe had chaffed through , corroded and semi seized.
This would be a simple check to rule out or discover.

https://2.downloader.disk.yandex.com/preview/9481440ae60e9a9120a7556c0c2067442cef25289f7c48c2b7 614e9cb29e54d5/inf/Z6d33lysE-EZsFh18LrrtvMIrLGG0cSc126y9LmKMaW02rQv3DBVN8AoseFq 7O4rY1rLUXOfA3JiDGxh69G2aw%3D%3D?uid=249739428&filename=P1020113_zpsixleoby5.jpg&disposition=inline&hash=&limit=0&content_type=image%2Fjpeg&tknv=v2&size=1156x545

I have never heard of this reported anywhere before but worth a check. Second hand new cables and a brand new sweet gear change car.
:}

FrenchMike
25th November 2015, 13:22
Forget this,the OP said :

When I turned the engine off I could select each gear. John.
lathbury

:shrug:

lathbury
26th November 2015, 14:21
Thanks old_oily, this has occured to me, when I had the new clutch and both cylinders changed I thought all my problems were over, but no, still a sticky gear change. French Mike, even though I can access all gears when the engine, is off, the movement is not smooth by any means. When I bought the car the gear change was very good, but deteriorated over time. Is it easy to check the gear cables?. Thanks, John.

FrenchMike
26th November 2015, 15:11
Thanks old_oily, this has occured to me, when I had the new clutch and both cylinders changed I thought all my problems were over, but no, still a sticky gear change. French Mike, even though I can access all gears when the engine, is off, the movement is not smooth by any means. When I bought the car the gear change was very good, but deteriorated over time. Is it easy to check the gear cables?. Thanks, John.

With battery tray removed,you can access the cables ,even disconnect them

And command the box itself:}

http://rovermg1.free.fr/rovermg/thumbnails/aQD0JDhwb0jQHg1Q2BND.jpg (http://rovermg1.free.fr/rovermg/images/aQD0JDhwb0jQHg1Q2BND.jpg)

lathbury
26th November 2015, 22:14
Thanks Mike. John.