PDA

View Full Version : CDT - Possible Seized Engine

Drewski
22nd November 2015, 19:19
I noticed the low oil pressure light come on a few days ago so ordered some oil from the web but before I could put it in, the car stopped running today on the A14...battery light and oil light is on and the engine won't turn over. Is it deaded? :duh:

clf
22nd November 2015, 19:24
I dont have an answer for you,nor experience, but did you check the dipstick. Low oil is only one symptom of low oil pressure.

Was there any smoke from the exhaust?
Any loss of power recently?
Strange smells?
I am sure those in the know will need these answers.

spyder
22nd November 2015, 19:27
I noticed the low oil pressure light come on a few days ago so ordered some oil from the web but before I could put it in, the car stopped running today on the A14...battery light and oil light is on and the engine won't turn over. Is it deaded? :duh:

Although I can't comment on the state of your engine, adding oil will seldom correct any damage if in fact the oil was low enough to bring the oil light on. Unless the engine had already stalled, an oil light indicates a far more serious fault, especially when there is oil in it. If the engine will not turn over (rotate) then you have answered your own question-a rather unusual condition for a diesel.:shrug:

freck
22nd November 2015, 19:31
I'd say you've seized it :duh: The oil pressure light will only come on when there's no pressure at all, the sensor is basically on or off, oil pressure or no oil pressure.
Did you not check the oil level when the light came on? I'm pretty sure your manual will say to stop the engine immediately if the warning illuminates.
I certainly wouldn't have driven the car for a few days without checking it :shrug:

Drewski
22nd November 2015, 19:33
I put the oil light coming on oiriginally down to the level being low, (but not too low), and the fact I left the car for a week parked on a slope. It hadn't come on again since until now. The car packed up right next to a petrol station so I bought 5 litres @ £47 :eek: and poured it in, some smoke was coming out of the filler cap :(

I wondered if/hoped the car may have some sort of cut-out if the level gets too low. The normal oil light that comes on with the ignition wasn't on, the engine was not making any strange noises or smells and it didn't overheat.

SD1too
22nd November 2015, 19:44
So are you stranded on the A14 now?

Is the starter solenoid clicking?

Simon

Rick-sta
22nd November 2015, 20:02
Did you not check the oil level when the light came on? :shrug:

As a starting point, I think it would be helpful to know if the oil level was checked when the oil light came on. Was the oil actually low?

From my experience the low oil pressure warning comes on everytime the car stalls/cuts out.

I take it as the car cut out whilst driving?

steve-45
22nd November 2015, 20:17
5 litres is an awful lot to put in just to top it up !

SD1too
22nd November 2015, 20:20
Well, perhaps not the emergency he first thought; help offered but no contact for fifty minutes. :shrug:

Simon

Drewski
22nd November 2015, 20:27
Sorry Simon....just been getting something to eat, had to sit for about 4 hours in the freezing cold waiting for the tow-truck....yeah, got the car picked up...another £240 :duh: I didn't get to check the oil level...will be kicking myself until Xmas because of it!

Drewski
22nd November 2015, 20:31
I take it as the car cut out whilst driving?

Yes, engine cut out and I just drifted to the side, (auto).

Starter motor isn't "clicking" as such...just sort of jerking the engine while I turn the key, as if the engine is moving a small amount.

Saga Lout
22nd November 2015, 20:33
Your oil light came on and you carried on using it? If you can tell me what make and model of car can do this...I might understand why you decided it was OK to order oil from the web and use the car, a gallon of cheap stuff is around £10 from home bargains or B+M stores.

murphyv310
22nd November 2015, 20:38
Hi.
Oil and coolant should be checked once a week along with visual checks of tyres (which is the bare minimum) and other safety related items.
You've only yourself to blame if it's seized. A very expensive lesson I would say!

Drewski
22nd November 2015, 20:41
Yup.......I know it's my fault, first time I've had a vehicle seize in nearly 40 years, I've had more pressing things to sort recently, sometimes the car has to take back seat - **** happens. What would be useful is if I knew what to expect, might the engine be salvagable or should I ring the scrap yard?

Saga Lout
22nd November 2015, 20:42
Hi.
Oil and coolant should be checked once a week along with visual checks of tyres and other safety related items.
You've only yourself to blame if it's seized. A very expensive lesson I would say!
I'll have a crafty pound on you checking yours everyday just now, I don't blame you because I'd hate to lose such a stunning car. I hope it's just fine for you.

murphyv310
22nd November 2015, 20:45
I'll have a crafty pound on you checking yours everyday just now, I don't blame you because I'd hate to lose such a stunning car. I hope it's just fine for you.

Hi.
Yes indeed I'm keeping a beady eye on mine right now. All OK at the moment, TBH I'm a fussy "person" and would be totally gutted if I didn't bother and landed in Drew's position:eek:

Rick-sta
Yes, engine cut out and I just drifted to the side, (auto).

Starter motor isn't "clicking" as such...just sort of jerking the engine while I turn the key, as if the engine is moving a small amount.

The first time the oil pressure light came on a few days ago, did that come on whilst driving and stay on for long. Did the engine cut out that time too?

Also, after topping up your oil, have you checked what the oil level is now as a whole can is a lot of oil for a top up as steve-45 said.

Probably a long shot but as yours is a diesel, how much fuel did you have when it died, the in tank pump hasn't failed has it?

Saga Lout
Yup.......I know it's my fault, first time I've had a vehicle seize in nearly 40 years, I've had more pressing things to sort recently, sometimes the car has to take back seat - **** happens. What would be useful is if I knew what to expect, will the engine be slavagable or should I ring the scrap yard?
Buy an engine and swap it, people on here will help if they can. You won't buy a car for the scrap value plus the cost of an engine that will replace it. The job looks bigger than it is...

kc13661
22nd November 2015, 20:47
Shame your not closer I have a CDT engine..... needs taking out the car?

Saga Lout
22nd November 2015, 20:49
Hi.
Yes indeed I'm keeping a beady eye on mine right now. All OK at the moment, TBH I'm a fussy "person" and would be totally gutted if I didn't bother and landed in Drew's position:eek:
There's one in Old English White near me on a V plate, I really do desire it and keep thinking about putting a note on it. I think that the Colour is stunning and I'd love to own one in White like yours.

Drewski
22nd November 2015, 21:00
The first time the oil pressure light came on a few days ago, did that come on whilst driving and stay on for long. Did the engine cut out that time too?

Also, after topping up your oil, have you checked what the oil level is now as a whole can is a lot of oil for a top up as steve-45 said.

Probably a long shot but as yours is a diesel, how much fuel did you have when it died, the in tank pump hasn't failed has it?

First time the low oil pressure warning came on was only when the car was parked on a slope and it went off as soon as the engine started and got back on the level which is why I thought I'd change it........ and it didn't come back on until today, (only done about 50 miles between). The oil light that comes on with the ignition didn't come on at all, just the battery light.

I'm certain it's not the fuel pumps.

Drewski
22nd November 2015, 21:07
Shame your not closer I have a CDT engine..... needs taking out the car?

Aye...Gateshead is a long long way from here sadly......esp without a car :(

I'm thinking a new engine is what's needed though.

trikey
22nd November 2015, 21:12
Aye...Gateshead is a long long way from here sadly......esp without a car :(

I'm thinking a new engine is what's needed though.

I also have one that's still in a car if you need one.

Drewski
22nd November 2015, 21:47
I also have one that's still in a car if you need one.

Thanks Trikey...will keep it in mind.

Drewski
23rd November 2015, 15:15
A couple of questions....how come the engine didn't overheat...and why didn't the oil light come on?

I want to make sure this car isn't repairable before scrapping, I'd rather keep it if that's viable.

TIA

COLVERT
23rd November 2015, 18:44
Too little-----------Too late.

It's DEAD.---------:eek:

The big ends have melted and the pistons have seized.-:duh:

Saga Lout
23rd November 2015, 18:51
A couple of questions....how come the engine didn't overheat...and why didn't the oil light come on?

I want to make sure this car isn't repairable before scrapping, I'd rather keep it if that's viable.

TIA
If the engine is dead, you have to repair or replace it, in both cases you have to do the same amount of work. If you think that it's a scrapper because it needs an engine, you may be making a big mistake even bigger. It's your choice but I hope the buses run on time where you live..

Drewski
23rd November 2015, 18:51
As I thought....it would have been nice to keep as it's been a good car but I've had my moneys worth out of it and it was going to need too much spending on it in the near future.
I'm on the hunt for a Tourer if anyone knows of a nice one, it's what I was after when I bought this one.
"So many cars/bikes...so little time" :shrug:

Drewski
23rd November 2015, 18:53
If you think that it's a scrapper because it needs an engine, you may be making a big mistake

Would it not be cheaper to find another? Besides, I need something by the end of the week, I can imagine sticking this in a garage for an engine swap and not seeing it until next Autumn.

How much is a 75 with a seized engine worth? £300 max? How much would it cost to get the engine swapped? £1000?

I'd love to keep the car but swapping over engines on my Dads drive in the freezing cold and having to get it done ASAP just isn't practical. I've had the car 5 years which is over 4 years longer than I've ever had a four wheeled vehicle before, if I'd have blown it up a couple of weeks after buying it, I may feel differently.
So where's the "bigger mistake"? Explain.

Saga Lout
23rd November 2015, 19:12
Would it not be cheaper to find another? Besides, I need something by the end of the week, I can imagine sticking this in a garage for an engine swap and not seeing it until next Autumn.

How much is a 75 with a seized engine worth? £300 max? How much would it cost to get the engine swapped? £1000?

I'd love to keep the car but swapping over engines on my Dads drive in the freezing cold and having to get it done ASAP just isn't practical.

So where's the "bigger mistake"? Explain.
If that's the situation, jack up the car, put bags over the discs and brakes, then throw a cover over the car. I'd then buy another car to get you through winter, buy a cheap banger. I'd then source a nice engine for the Rover through the Winter months and mend it in the Spring. The value of scrap cars is on the floor and it's worth your doing this. You might get £75 scrap..I'm sure that other members in your area will rally round to help when you do the job. I'd simply suggest you take a step back and see a bigger picture, you'll lose more than you gain if you let the car go.

Drewski
23rd November 2015, 19:23
If that's the situation, jack up the car, put bags over the discs and brakes, then throw a cover over the car. I'd then buy another car to get you through winter, buy a cheap banger. I'd then source a nice engine for the Rover through the Winter months and mend it in the Spring. The value of scrap cars is on the floor and it's worth your doing this. You might get £75 scrap..I'm sure that other members in your area will rally round to help when you do the job. I'd simply suggest you take a step back and see a bigger picture, you'll lose more than you gain if you let the car go.

Thanks...I appreciate the comments. I've got to admit, it's very sad looking at the car on the drive, all immobile and all, I have got attached to this car, not as much as my bikes but still, it's very sad. However........I'm kinda getting used to the idea of a new one

:party:
I've been trying to find out the work involved in swapping the engine over, if I had a big enough garage, I'd love to have a go myself but I'm finding the older I get, the less these bigger projects appeal to me and I really don't want to start something that'll never get finished. I've spotted a nice looking club going cheap, I may get that. swap some of the SE bits over, and use until I find a nice tourer....which is what I'd love.

BTW: If letting the car run low on oil isn't enough.......I've been looking at BMWs!!

James.uk
23rd November 2015, 20:13
WHoa! we don't know whats wrong with your car yet!

Start at the begining... Is the battery flat?

Will it start with easy start?

Can you jump start it off another good battery?

How much oil shows on the dipstick now?

We need a lot more info please..

Drewski
23rd November 2015, 20:23
WHoa! we don't know whats wrong with your car yet!

Start at the begining... Is the battery flat?

Will it start with easy start?

Can you jump start it off another good battery?

How much oil shows on the dipstick now?

We need a lot more info please..

I'd feel a lot better if i knew for sure the engine is kaput, too busy today....walking everywhere :rolleyes:..but will investigate further tmrw and get back.

Mike Noc
23rd November 2015, 21:00
Try turning it with a socket on the crank pulley bolt - soon see if it is seized or not.

Drewski
23rd November 2015, 21:10
Thanks Mike.....luckily I've got all my tools up at my Dads right now, will brave the cold in the morning and see what's what.

I'm still wondering why the oil light stayed off and engine temp remained constant :shrug:

Snagger
24th November 2015, 11:27
Don't know if your car is auto or not,or if it makes any difference or not, but a diesel lump here at an ok price for mileage, postage not too out of the way either, or maybe this clubs pony express ?

Hope you can save your car whatever happens,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-2-0-Diesel-Complete-Engine-MG-ZT-BMW-Freelander-M47-TD4-/111828813498?hash=item1a098446ba:g:PWkAAOSwLqFV9s4 y

Snagger

Drewski
24th November 2015, 12:01
Thanks Snagger but I've got nowhere to do the work and only 4 days to get back on the road so Fixing the car up isn't really an option sadly.
I'm looking everywhere for a decent, lower than average mileage, Tourer or ZT-T at the moment...and it has to be nearby...not easy :shrug:

Snagger
24th November 2015, 13:50
These any good to you ?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/rover/rover-75-connoisseur-se-cdti-tourer-for-sale/1141727463

https://www.gumtree.com/p/rover/rover-75-2.0-cdt-club-se-diesel-estate/1142883570

Drewski
24th November 2015, 14:00
Sorry, should have said....I'm up in B'ham. They may have been worth a look but I'm really tring to find something with less miles, the one I have, had only 34K when I bought it 5 years ago but I know that's going to be near impossible now. I've got up to £5K to spend but looking around the £3.5 mark.

I keep going back to this tourer in Wales but It's not easy to get there at the mo:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111824620416?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's annoying how many people advertise their car but don't answer emails!

Snagger
24th November 2015, 14:30
Looks tidy low miles as you wanted :}

They are out there, it's just the times and the places that they are available, are never at the right time, or in the right place.

But as ever with the right amount of legwork. the right one always comes along.

Hope you find what you want, and good luck in your search.

freck
24th November 2015, 15:50
Sorry, should have said....I'm up in B'ham. They may have been worth a look but I'm really tring to find something with less miles, the one I have, had only 34K when I bought it 5 years ago but I know that's going to be near impossible now. I've got up to £5K to spend but looking around the £3.5 mark.

I keep going back to this tourer in Wales but It's not easy to get there at the mo:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111824620416?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's annoying how many people advertise their car but don't answer emails!
My tourer has 20k miles less than that one and was £2000 cheaper :eek: You can get a much better deal than that! :D

Drewski
24th November 2015, 16:13
You can get a much better deal than that! :D

Maybe if I had transport and longer than 2 days but I'm a bit pressed :shrug:

bl52krz
24th November 2015, 16:22
Usually takes a lot to seize a Diesel engine up in such a bad way. I suggest that you strip the head off and have a look at the bores. Straight forward job to do.

Drewski
24th November 2015, 16:29
Usually takes a lot to seize a Diesel engine up in such a bad way. I suggest that you strip the head off and have a look at the bores. Straight forward job to do.

I was wondering this, I'm a fan of two strokes and they can have a partial seizure and run no different afterwards...sometimes even a bit better!....different story when valves are involved I know but I still can't work out why there was no sign of over-heating and no oil light. Is it because this engine has such efficient cooling?
I didn't get chance to try turning the motor today but did check the oil level, (Car on a slight slope, engine up), and it was just over the top mark with about 4.5 litres added..so definitely short of oil I'd have thought.

spyder
24th November 2015, 17:18
I was wondering this, I'm a fan of two strokes and they can have a partial seizure and run no different afterwards...sometimes even a bit better!....different story when valves are involved I know but I still can't work out why there was no sign of over-heating and no oil light. Is it because this engine has such efficient cooling?
I didn't get chance to try turning the motor today but did check the oil level, (Car on a slight slope, engine up), and it was just over the top mark with about 4.5 litres added..so definitely short of oil I'd have thought.

If the engine has seized due to lack of oil, it would be the bottom end that could have gone and not the bores. Either way it would not have caused the engine to get hot enough to overheat per say. The oil light would have come on just before, and certainly after the engine had stopped.

Easy enough to check that the lights are working with a IPK check (using the trip button).

Is there any chance that the crank pulley has destructed and jammed the motor?:shrug:

Craig.