PDA

View Full Version : silver resistor on cooling fan

GRANDAD LES
23rd November 2015, 14:29
Can I please have advise as the whether all 75's have this resistor fitted, I have looked thro the grill at about 2 oclock but can not see anything. Rover 75 Contemporary auto diesel Tourer (05)?

suffolk boy
23rd November 2015, 14:33
no they do not depends on your fan ie if it is a two speed which has the resistor or a later three speed which does not.this is a rough guide btw i belive some cars have the resistor mounted elseware other than the fan housing spars.and some very late cars also have the resistor .to cut a long story short your be later most likely has a three speed fan without the resistor

Organiser
23rd November 2015, 15:40
Hi Lesile,

Have a look at this post in the How to Section by Steve (Arctic) it will give an idea on where to look on the car!

Regards,

Tom.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=216869

T-Cut
23rd November 2015, 18:09
Can I please have advise as the whether all 75's have this resistor fitted, I have looked thro the grill at about 2 oclock but can not see anything. Rover 75 Contemporary auto diesel Tourer (05)?

Did you look through and behind the fan blades? You might have to rotate the blades with a stick to see the resistor. An 05 reg of any model will almost certainly have the 2-speed, two-wire motor with the resistor mounted on the fan guard in the position noted. Very rarely, is it found in a different place and is non-standard. It requires the air flow from the fan for essential cooling.

I'd suggest you run the standard Demist test to check whether the resistor (assuming it's present) has failed. If it has, the fix is pretty straight forward using the 'gold' upgrade available from the form traders, ebay, RS, etc. You'll also find HowTos around and about here.

TC

GRANDAD LES
24th November 2015, 19:07
Hi Tom, is your house the one with a recovery truck outside?

Leslie