PDA

View Full Version : Fitted 2 new front tryres, car pulling to left

peelaaa
24th November 2015, 12:04
Hi all, recently replaced Nokian Lines at the front with 2 new Dunlop blue response.215/55/16 v xl

First impression was they are quiet, but now the car is pulling to left and a bit of steering wheel vibration. The car was fine before. I checked pressures and all ok.

What could it be?

SD1too
24th November 2015, 12:06
Steering wheel vibration: did you have the wheels balanced?

Pulling to the left: check wheel alignment, particularly if you previous tyres were wearing unevenly.

Simon

Avulon
24th November 2015, 12:10
Check the wheel bolts are properly torqued. The vibration is either wheel out of balance, or worse a loose wheel. So check the wheel bolts. The pulling to the left is either wheel alignment or wheel alignment caused by a loose wheel - especially if it seemed ok to start with. Hopefully I'm wrong (about loose wheel bolts) and there's some other explanation like a faulty tyre (also a possibility): or there's been a coincidental failure in the suspension or steering.

peelaaa
24th November 2015, 12:11
The wheels were balanced, I watched them doing it. The wear on the original tyres were ok, nothing too uneven. In fact it looked like I had the pressure too high as the centre was worn more than outers, but there was nothing uneven on the outer edges.
I do know the wheel weights can fall of sometimes which may be the cause of the vibration, but what about the pulling to left?

FrenchMike
24th November 2015, 12:11
Hi all, recently replaced Nokian Lines at the front with 2 new Dunlop blue response.215/55/16 v xl

First impression was they are quiet, but now the car is pulling to left and a bit of steering wheel vibration. The car was fine before. I checked pressures and all ok.

What could it be?

Before Wheel aligment, swap them to see if you get a pulling to right :shrug:

Happened to me recently .:duh:

Mike

peelaaa
24th November 2015, 12:13
Check the wheel bolts are properly torqued. The vibration is either wheel out of balance, or worse a loose wheel. So check the wheel bolts. The pulling to the left is either wheel alignment or wheel alignment caused by a loose wheel - especially if it seemed ok to start with. Hopefully I'm wrong (about loose wheel bolts) and there's some other explanation like a faulty tyre (also a possibility): or there's been a coincidental failure in the suspension or steering.

Got me worried now,I'll go and check the bolts shortly.

Avulon
24th November 2015, 12:26
Got me worried now,I'll go and check the bolts shortly. Like I say, hopefully not wheel bolts, but yes check them asap.

Wheel weights can fall off (but shouldn't if stuck on right in the first place) (oh yes, and remember weights that crimp onto the wheel rim are works of the devil designed to corrode your nice alloys!)

Pulling to one side can be due to play or failure in any of the suspension ball joints or bushes steering. There's no substitute for checking them all.

dadragon
24th November 2015, 12:51
Before Wheel aligment, swap them to see if you get a pulling to right :shrug:

Happened to me recently .:duh:

Mike

He may not be able to do this buddy, if they are rotation orientated then they can only go front to back. Come to think of it if they are rotation sensitive they may have been fitted incorrectly to the rims. If they say "outside edge" then yes he can swap them from side to side, again I would check that they are correctly fitted to the rim and properly balanced before any other checks as well as correct inflation too.
Regards DaDragon

T-Cut
24th November 2015, 15:16
2 new Dunlop blue response.215/55/16

Excellent choice IMO.

- - now the car is pulling to left - - -

Do you actually feel it pulling left, or is there a gradual drift towards the left?

TC

peelaaa
24th November 2015, 15:35
Excellent choice IMO.

Do you actually feel it pulling left, or is there a gradual drift towards the left?

TC

I know what you mean as the 75's have a tendency to drift left. Mine used to do that before i got the 4 wheel tracking done for the third time.

It is actually pulling to the left, not dangerously but definately pulling. It was okay with the nokian's on .

DMGRS
24th November 2015, 19:19
Failed Front Lower Arm Bushes made my old 75 pull quite strongly left - once changed and tracked up, all was well. Worth checking them while you're there. :)

Arctic
26th November 2015, 02:10
New tyres should always be fitted to the rear of the car, so you could swap them over then check to see if the car is pulling to the left, if not it as to be the tyre or balancing of the wheel.

peelaaa
27th November 2015, 12:01
Took car back to tyre fitter.

He first checked the pressure, both ok.
Then checked the balance, both wheels were out by a small amount. The wheels were rebalanced, and then put back on opposite front sides.

All ok now:}

FrenchMike
27th November 2015, 13:58
wheels were rebalanced, and then put back on opposite front sides.

All ok now:}

So you get the same conclusion as me ?

Mike

peelaaa
27th November 2015, 14:07
So you get the same conclusion as me ?

Mike

Seems that way. Still wondering why with the Nokians on, it didn't pull though

Bovo Boy
27th November 2015, 14:14
Had exactly the same problem earlier in the year when I had two new Michelin Energy Savers fitted on front. Have used these for years with no problem. But these pulled car to the left, and, to cut a long story short, after swapping them over and car then pulling to the right, tyre shop admitted there must be a problem with one or both of the tyres and replaced both with more new ones, which were fine. What surprised me was the tyre place didn't give the impression that this was unusual.

FrenchMike
27th November 2015, 14:24
Tyre's structure are not so simple as we think ...:shrug:

Seems our cars are particularly sensitive about the "lateral force "

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=229633

peelaaa
28th November 2015, 15:22
I like these dunlops, very quiet, ride seems better too.

KWIL
28th November 2015, 15:49
Variation in rolling resistance due to internal structure variation?