PDA

View Full Version : Intermittment starting problem.

Pipster
25th November 2015, 15:49
My ZT-T 190+ has a very annoying problem, sometimes it starts with no problem and then every once in a while it won't, maybe 1 in 10 attempts. All the dash lights are on as normal but there's no noises at all, not even a solenoid click. On Friday it was having none of it in Tesco's car park, i tried jumping it off a fully charged battery i had in the back but it did nothing so i had to call a recovery company, he said it sounded like a wire on the starter motor having a bad connection. Bump started it ok and it restarted when we got home. My local mechanic has had a look and tested the battery under load and he said he thinks one of the cells has gone. Which of them is right, would a faulty battery really cause an intermittment starting problem with all the dash lights working as normal? I've swapped batteries over but every time i go to start it i have my fingers crossed at the moment!

freck
25th November 2015, 15:57
I'd say the recovery man is more likely to be right.
There's a few people on here who've had problems with the low tension connection to the starter solenoid. It just needs disconnecting, cleaning up and reconnecting.
Make sure that the connector fits tightly and add a smear of Vaseline to help prevent corrosion :D

Pipster
25th November 2015, 16:47
That's what I was thinking. Here's a stupid question - where is the starter motor, I can't see it anywhere?! Do I have to take off the battery box and air filter box or can I get at it from below after removing the undertray?

freck
25th November 2015, 17:37
That's what I was thinking. Here's a stupid question - where is the starter motor, I can't see it anywhere?! Do I have to take off the battery box and air filter box or can I get at it from below after removing the undertray?

I think on your engine you will need to remove both of them to gain access :shrug:

chrissyboy
25th November 2015, 17:40
i too think the recovery guy is right ,the battery wouldnt do that unless of coure the wire is loose ,the thin wire on the starter with the spade connector on is more than likey dirty and just needs a good clean up .it could of ccause be the contacts on thecstarter solinoid ,there is a repair kit you can get ,im sure on of the others will post a link where to get one .

FrenchMike
25th November 2015, 17:53
Here it is::}

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-ZT-T-2-0-2-5-V6-KV6-AUTOMATIC-STARTER-SOLENOID-REPAIR-KIT-/251257586414?hash=item3a801e82ee:m:mfxbIAKAgUkc35A 4Ho6X1PQ

Mike

freck
25th November 2015, 18:01
it could of ccause be the contacts on thecstarter solinoid ,there is a repair kit you can get ,im sure on of the others will post a link where to get one .

Philip has said in the OP that there was no solenoid clicking so it's unlikely to be the contacts :shrug:

Pipster
25th November 2015, 18:42
Correct, no noise at all, not even a click.

chrissyboy
25th November 2015, 19:23
Philip has said in the OP that there was no solenoid clicking so it's unlikely to be the contacts :shrug:

i have had no clicking before and it was the solenoid even had the wire hanging off and as op said all the dash lights then nothing. the op should check the battery terminals and make sure they are tight

COLVERT
25th November 2015, 19:41
Correct, no noise at all, not even a click.

If there is no noise then there is no power supply to the solenoid.

You have a poor electrical connection. There are only a couple of wires to check.

freck
25th November 2015, 20:05
If there is no noise then there is no power supply to the solenoid.

You have a poor electrical connection. There are only a couple of wires to check.

Hang on a minute, I'm having deja vu........:p: :getmecoat:

Pipster
25th November 2015, 22:03
What do I have to remove to get at the wire on the solenoid, I'm guessing it's not going to be too easy?

freck
25th November 2015, 22:34
What do I have to remove to get at the wire on the solenoid, I'm guessing it's not going to be too easy?

Just what you thought in post #3, air filter housing and possibly battery box depending on amount of access required. I'm not too sure on your car as I've got a diesel.
The solenoid is just on top of the starter and it's the thin wire with a spade terminal that you're looking for :D
Get yourself a Haynes manual if you're really struggling. I know a lot of people think they're rubbish but they're a great resource for pointing you in the right direction when you're not too sure.

Pipster
26th November 2015, 13:24
Well I located the wire and it was dirty, I'm pretty sure it wasn't on as far as it could have been as well. All cleaned up and the car started...I'm sure it's my imagination but it seemed to start quicker than before. We shall see.

freck
26th November 2015, 17:36
Well I located the wire and it was dirty, I'm pretty sure it wasn't on as far as it could have been as well. All cleaned up and the car started...I'm sure it's my imagination but it seemed to start quicker than before. We shall see.
Great, sounds like you've sorted it :D
Did you put a little Vaseline on the contact before you put the spade terminal back on? As I said before it's worth it to prevent future corrosion :D

Pipster
26th November 2015, 20:58
unfortunately no Vaseline to hand but now I know where it is I can sort that when I buy some. Fingers crossed for tomorrow I guess.

Pipster
27th November 2015, 10:39
Well it started 4 times this morning with no hint of a problem so fingers crossed it's sorted although experience tells me the problem will reappear when I really need the car!

Number 6
27th November 2015, 11:44
Well it started 4 times this morning with no hint of a problem so fingers crossed it's sorted although experience tells me the problem will reappear when I really need the car!

Dont be such a pessimist ;)

COLVERT
27th November 2015, 15:02

I'm not to sure what you meant in your post No11 when you made that comment.

All I said was you had a poor connection. And it would seem you have found it.--

Good luck and happy motoring.---( ER !!! Is it hard to drive with your fingers crossed all the time ???---Lol. )

Pipster
27th November 2015, 16:26
Um, post 11 wasn't mine...

COLVERT
28th November 2015, 17:56
Um, post 11 wasn't mine...

Oooooooooooooops.----:duh: