PDA

View Full Version : Worn water pump ?

chris75
26th November 2015, 10:08
Does a failing water pump growl ? My v6 has lately developed a new growl from the engine bay area . I suspected an exhaust leak , but having crawled around underneath it burning my hands on all the bits from the cat forward , I can't find anything amiss :shrug:
However , when I first removed the undertray I saw a small puddle of pinky water on it :eek: Quickly shot up top to look in the vee , but no pink water in there ; slightly damp appearance maybe , but no more than other metal bits on the engine during this wintry weather we are enjoying . After a run , a few drips of pink water appear hanging from the front underside of the sump , but I can find no other bits of the cooling system that I can see showing any evidence of a leak .So if not the thermostat assembly , oil cooler or hoses then I am thinking waterpump and that perhaps my new growl is not actually exhaust leak but pump bearing . The pump was replaced last time I did the belts and that was only 25k miles ago , with a Quinton-Hazell unit .
I can't of course see the water pump without a major strip down , but the noise pitch is related to engine speed , both accelerating and slowing , and is silent on tick-over . Water loss in the header is slight at about an eggcup-full every couple of days.
So , does a failing pump growl ? :}

KWIL
26th November 2015, 10:25
On the basis that a failing water pump bearing seal allows a progressively larger amount of water through to contaminate the bearing, which rusts, wears and rumbles and eventually fails, yes probably.

SD1too
26th November 2015, 10:27
You could try the 'screwdriver to the ear' test on the alternator and PAS pump Chris. That would confirm or eliminate a couple of possible culprits. I assume that the air conditioning compressor isn't engaged.

I've only ever had one water pump failure and that was coolant seepage past the bearing, but no noise. I guess that anything's possible though. :}

Simon

chris75
26th November 2015, 10:48
You could try the 'screwdriver to the ear' test on the alternator and PAS pump Chris. That would confirm or eliminate a couple of possible culprits. I assume that the air conditioning compressor isn't engaged.

Simon

Yep , done that one Simon :} They sound pretty noisy through a screwdriver , but always have so no change !