PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Speedometer operation

Richmick
26th November 2015, 17:22
Recently my ABS light has appeared and speedometer has stopped working. However this is intermittent, sometimes working properly and then reverting to in-operation. Any thoughts any body?

Dart2050
26th November 2015, 17:31
Last time this happened to me the alternator was on the way out. Try testing charging voltage to see. Could well be something else, perhaps loose wire or dirty connection. Brilliant guys on here will soon give you more ideas.

Heddy
26th November 2015, 17:36
Common problem, disconnected or broken sensor located drivers side wheel arch passing into the engine bay.

DMGRS
26th November 2015, 18:05
Spot on above - the speedo drive is taken from the O/S ABS Sensor.
It's likely to be the sensor or its wiring - but if you're unlucky, it can be a fault with the wheel bearing (these contain a magnetic ring to provide the signal for the sensor).

ABS Sensors are quite cheap - I'd avoid eBay and the like, as the bargain-basement sensors have been known to fail in quite short order, or not work at all - leading to needless replacement of other parts.

We have them here:
Front ABS Sensor - 75/ZT (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/electrical-electronic-parts/products/rover-75-mg-zt-front-abs-sensor-ssb000150)

Daddio
4th March 2017, 14:48
This was my problem, ABS light on and no speedo. Fault cured itself and then came back the next day. Turned out to be a broken wire (possibly speedo sensor) in the wheel arch on the front O/S. Cheap fix thank goodness.

Mike Noc
4th March 2017, 20:42
My speedometer started reading at half the true speed before giving up the ghost.

New sensor fitted and all was well again.