PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Dashboard rattle

GibsonMarshall
27th November 2015, 08:24
Hey there guys,

it's been quite a long time since I posted here but I need your help again.

My Tourer has recently developed odd rattles when going over bumps. It's not really a rattling but rather a "crackling" sound coming from the passenger side. It tends to be there when the car is still cold and getting warmed up by the climate control. I sometimes even get them when I'm accelerating and also in the b and a-pillars. They tend to go away a little when the car is warmed up but still appear when you hit harder bumps.

To be fair, it's been getting cold over here (as Winter is on it's way) and it probably is perfectly normal, while everything is getting warmed up but I don't remember the car doing it last Winter (not that much at least). It's only got 31.000 original miles on it, so I don't really think (or rather hope) that anything is loose already. My dad's Jag is made in 2004 and has done a lot more but doesn't do anything like that.

If I push the the dashboard slightly right under the windscreen, I can get it to crackle as well.

Is that perfectly normal or is there really something wrong? Maybe I'm too hard on a 14 year old car but hence it's miles and overall great condition, I'm not quite sure. The car get's a lot of love and has never ever been abused or anything like that. :shrug:

I'm not saying the Jag is perfect, it's got some small rattles too but nowhere near as much as my 75.

Thank you guys in advance!

Cheers
Tobias

freck
27th November 2015, 09:26
I've got some little annoying rattles and creaks too. I think it's just down to the age of the cars and the odd screw loosening off over time. :shrug:
I'm planning on putting some thin foam, like draught excluder type stuff, under the dash top and behind any offending panels to try and cushion them. I've also seem some self adhesive felt like tape which may help.
Hopefully it'll work :D

hamster19
27th November 2015, 10:27
My car has a few bits of thin rubber in strategic places to stop the annoying little rattles

Rowley
27th November 2015, 10:36
I've been sat in a car park with my engine off and heard what sounds like a rat scurrying behind my dash :eek:
Think they just make strange noises!:D

freck
27th November 2015, 10:44
I've been sat in a car park with my engine off and heard what sounds like a rat scurrying behind my dash :eek:
Think they just make strange noises!:D

It's not unusual to get mice nesting in cars :eek: :D

FrenchMike
27th November 2015, 15:01
It's not unusual to get mice nesting in cars :eek: :D

Yes ,and they prefer the fuel pipes...:duh:

http://rovermg1.free.fr/rovermg/thumbnails/uYrbq4u1YxT8Jp5CBIfA.jpg (http://rovermg1.free.fr/rovermg/images/uYrbq4u1YxT8Jp5CBIfA.jpg)

Sheraton
27th November 2015, 19:38
:duh: lol aye, the rattle :duh: i'm sure i'm getting a bit from my rear view mirror too

i thought about some kind of dry lubricant spray :shrug: sprayed sparingly between the different dash components.....or talcum powder, but both could get messy.

Paul......

klarzy
27th November 2015, 19:41
use the little sticky backed felt foot pads you can buy from the local pound shops, the ones you use for furniture and speakers and the like...
Just put a couple on the car under the dash insert contact points and the rattles disappear...;)

clf
27th November 2015, 21:04
The rattle that I had, is a common one, that appeared to come from between the windscreen and the glovebox. It seemed to move up and down at different revs. The cause was the plastic box of the BCU. It is located behind the glovebox, and a piece of sound absorbing material cured it, but a bit of foam draught sealing tape would do just as well.

GibsonMarshall
11th February 2016, 06:56
use the little sticky backed felt foot pads you can buy from the local pound shops, the ones you use for furniture and speakers and the like...
Just put a couple on the car under the dash insert contact points and the rattles disappear...;)

Sounds like a good idea. Have you done this to your car and if you have, would it be possible for you to get some pics and explain how you did it?

Cheers!

Avulon
11th February 2016, 12:39
That our cars are so refined and normally quiet at road speed that we do hear those little rattles and buzzes at all. :)

Mind you, most of the time I find that what I thought was a new annoying rattle is something either in the glove box or on the shelf above, in the center bit by the ashtray or something in a doorpocket, or.... something on the little shelf above the light switch. That's a lot of places to check! :D

klarzy
11th February 2016, 17:30
Sounds like a good idea. Have you done this to your car and if you have, would it be possible for you to get some pics and explain how you did it?

Cheers!

simples, get someone else to drive while you put a little masking tape on all the spots in the car that rattle at different revs, lift the trims responsible and use the little self adhesive pads to fill the gaps, then replace the trims on the nice soft non rattle inducing pads and silence is abound...

GibsonMarshall
12th February 2016, 10:00
simples, get someone else to drive while you put a little masking tape on all the spots in the car that rattle at different revs, lift the trims responsible and use the little self adhesive pads to fill the gaps, then replace the trims on the nice soft non rattle inducing pads and silence is abound...

Well, I can easily tell you which parts are causing the noises. It's that whole black upper part of the dashboard. Mostly the creaking appears right next to the a-pillars on both sides. I tend to get the famous BCU-rattle as well, which I'll cure soon. It's not constant however, only getting it sometimes and if I do, it goes away after 5 minutes or so. Could this have something to do with the dashboard-creaks? I've noticed that it's there especially when it's cold and the car gets warmed up. Pushing the dashboard slightly in these spots causes it to crackle as well, however it's cured temporarily when doing so (most of it, at least). :shrug:

EastPete
12th February 2016, 10:18
I have put a piece of black UVPC window sealing strip pushed into the gap between the windscreen and the front (bonnet) edge of the dash. This together with a bit of round rubber strip (an O-ring cut open is good for this) pushed into the gap between the dashboard and the 'wood' trim above the clock, has cured my dashboard rattles.

Pete

klarzy
12th February 2016, 15:54
Well, I can easily tell you which parts are causing the noises. It's that whole black upper part of the dashboard. Mostly the creaking appears right next to the a-pillars on both sides. I tend to get the famous BCU-rattle as well, which I'll cure soon. It's not constant however, only getting it sometimes and if I do, it goes away after 5 minutes or so. Could this have something to do with the dashboard-creaks? I've noticed that it's there especially when it's cold and the car gets warmed up. Pushing the dashboard slightly in these spots causes it to crackle as well, however it's cured temporarily when doing so (most of it, at least). :shrug:

hey I don't have any of that!! I just had the plastic facia rattles...

David Lawrence
12th February 2016, 18:47
hey I don't have any of that!! I just had the plastic facia rattles...

I don't have any creaking either. In mine all the control boxes rattled. I suspect that the bcu was the he main one, that transmitted vibration to all the others, and they in turn along the brace bars to everywhere else. Stopping the bcu one, then coating the main faces of the others with silent coat got rid of all my rattles. The car is very solid and rattle free now so if there were any creaks i would certainly hear them.

johnnyb44
12th February 2016, 18:58
Mine used to rattle badly until I put some foam draught excluder along the whole length between were the dash meets the bottom of the windscreen. Just wedge it in with a long screw driver . I originally used a length of TV coax Ariel lead which also worked but changed it over the the draught excluder for a neater job.

batz
13th February 2016, 16:27
I have three individual rattles and traced them as follows: A heat shield has fallen onto the exhaust below the rear passenger area. The centre vents in the dash are rattling a bit and the front passenger door lock button rattles if it's not locked. Something to think about!

roverbarmy
13th February 2016, 16:59
One of my glove box hinge pins was loose. A bent piece of wire rod of the correct size to replace the dodgy pin cured it. ;)

GibsonMarshall
20th February 2016, 15:11
I've managed to cure most of it by putting some leather type stuff into the gap in between the dashboard and the windscreen. However some of it is still there. On the passenger's side, I'am able to push the dashboard in a little, so there is some movement going on which shouldn't be there. Any ideas?

Cheers and thanks so far!

klarzy
20th February 2016, 15:59
I've managed to cure most of it by putting some leather type stuff into the gap in between the dashboard and the windscreen. However some of it is still there. On the passenger's side, I'am able to push the dashboard in a little, so there is some movement going on which shouldn't be there. Any ideas?

Cheers and thanks so far!

could always take the dash out and make sure it is re installed securely.

GibsonMarshall
7th March 2016, 06:20
Okay, I've recently fitted something in between the windscreen and the dash. It's gotten a little better but some is still left. I also noticed that it wasn't there at all after the car was fully warmed up 2 days ago. A couple of weeks ago, we managed to get up to 10 degrees and I also didn't notice any of it.

However, I think the wood trim on the passenger side (the one that says Airbag on it) is causing the noises. I can slightly move it up and down. Is this normal or not fitted correctly? It's been out once, so it's movement may cause the noises when hitting the dash a little? Not sure, really. Does yours move a little as well?

Cheers!

milosnikolic
7th March 2016, 22:34
guys,

I think I posted the permanent solution some time ago - the creaking/cracking dashboard with the change of temperature or going over bumps is caused by inside the dash plastic welds toward A-post.
If you remove the instrument cluster and look inside towards the bottom right-hand corner of the windshield, you will see where those welds are and they cause cracking when you push the dashboard from the top. By putting something inbetween the windshield and the dash, you are just creating tension that prevents cracking for some time, but doesn't eliminate it permanently.
The solution is actually to insert some rubber inside the dash where the welds are, I used old bicycle tyre that I cut into appropriate size/shape to fit in multiple places.

No cracks/creacking/rattle more than 2 years now...

GibsonMarshall
8th March 2016, 05:55
guys,

I think I posted the permanent solution some time ago - the creaking/cracking dashboard with the change of temperature or going over bumps is caused by inside the dash plastic welds toward A-post.
If you remove the instrument cluster and look inside towards the bottom right-hand corner of the windshield, you will see where those welds are and they cause cracking when you push the dashboard from the top. By putting something inbetween the windshield and the dash, you are just creating tension that prevents cracking for some time, but doesn't eliminate it permanently.
The solution is actually to insert some rubber inside the dash where the welds are, I used old bicycle tyre that I cut into appropriate size/shape to fit in multiple places.

No cracks/creacking/rattle more than 2 years now...

Sounds good to me then! Would you mind posting some pics, where you inserted the rubber? I think it's pretty strange that it completely dissapears as soon as it gets a little warmer. (Mine does that at least).

Thank you guys for your help so far. Really appreciate it!

milosnikolic
8th March 2016, 06:23
Sounds good to me then! Would you mind posting some pics, where you inserted the rubber? I think it's pretty strange that it completely dissapears as soon as it gets a little warmer. (Mine does that at least).

Thank you guys for your help so far. Really appreciate it!

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1871123&postcount=17

GibsonMarshall
8th March 2016, 07:00
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1871123&postcount=17

Thanks! Gonna have to try that. What do I have to remove to get to that particular spot?

milosnikolic
8th March 2016, 07:58
Thanks! Gonna have to try that. What do I have to remove to get to that particular spot?

Instrument cluster on driver's side and airbag/vent on the other side.

I advise you to check all plastic welds that you can see once everything is removed.

GibsonMarshall
8th March 2016, 09:40
Instrument cluster on driver's side and airbag/vent on the other side.

I advise you to check all plastic welds that you can see once everything is removed.

Thanks dude! However, I'am still a little concerned about the wood trim on the passenger's side that says Airbag on it. If I push it a little, I can slightly move it up and down and by pressing on it, it makes creaking noises as well. Is this normal or is mine not fitted correctly?

milosnikolic
8th March 2016, 09:44
Thanks dude! However, I'am still a little concerned about the wood trim on the passenger's side that says Airbag on it. If I push it a little, I can slightly move it up and down and by pressing on it, it makes creaking noises as well. Is this normal or is mine not fitted correctly?

It's normal and it is not causing the creak you hear, so just plastic BEHIND/INSIDE the dash is causing the cracking/creaking noise, nothing else.

Of course, if you want you can spray some dry silicone spray around all all touching parts (wood/plastic)

GibsonMarshall
8th March 2016, 10:04
It's normal and it is not causing the creak you hear, so just plastic BEHIND/INSIDE the dash is causing the cracking/creaking noise, nothing else.

Of course, if you want you can spray some dry silicone spray around all all touching parts (wood/plastic)

Yeah, I should try that too, since it's mostly 100% gone as soon as we hit 5 degrees and more.

GibsonMarshall
11th March 2016, 10:53
I also tried tightening the dashboard (those 2 torx-screws on both the passenger's and driver's side) but no luck with that either. Are they too tight maybe? Loosening them wouldn't make much sense to me, would probably creak even more then. I could only tighten them a little bit anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

freck
11th March 2016, 11:43
I've got a new very annoying rattle, the handbrake button. Anyone else had this and have a solution?
It seems that the chrome button rattles at certain revs. Does anyone know how it's fixed? :shrug: