PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Fluid Leak

sof007
27th November 2015, 08:29
Morning all,

I have discovered a leak in my power steering system. My mechanic has informed me that it's coming from the seal where the steering columns meets the steering rack. So, as usual, a few queries in relation to this as follows:

Anybody used Wynns Power Steering Stop Leak? How much do you add to the reservoir - the package is for 2 litres of "oil" but I've no idea how much fluid is in the power steering system. I'm planning on using this as a stop gap solution until I source the required replacement parts;
Is it possible to relace this seal or is it a full steering rack replacement job?
If the full steering rack needs replacement, is there a difference between the MG ZT and Rover 75 steering racks? It's not that clear from the Rimmer's website and I've searched other posts in relation to this but haven't found a definitive answer.

As always, an help would be greatly appreciated. Considered the option of replacing the car but really don't want to go down that road!!!

Mike Noc
27th November 2015, 08:39
Had a weeping rack end seal a few years back and drained then refilled the system along with a similar leak stop additive.

Was only done as a temporary measure but it is still holding up fine.

How to replace the fluid, courtesy of Terry at TS Autos:

Take the bottom cooler pipe connector off let it drain, lock to lock the car several times (manually), blow into the reservoir that will get the majority out, replace the connector, top up the system lock to lock (manually) then start the engine, top up, then repeat the procedure.

sof007
27th November 2015, 08:43
Is it better to drain the system and then add pre-mixed fluid and additive rather than just adding the Wynns to the reservoir?

Mike Noc
27th November 2015, 14:35
Not essential to change the fluid, but mine was a high miler so thought it worth doing.

It really is very easy to do and you can then premix the additive before refilling.

sof007
27th November 2015, 14:38
Fair enough, I'll give it a go at the weekend.

Any idea on the rack, whether it's the same for 75s and ZTs? I'm not overly confident that the stop leak will work.

Mike Noc
27th November 2015, 15:38
Can't help you there as I only have 75's. They are listed as separate parts on Rimmers - hopefully someone can advise if they are interchangeable.

sof007
27th November 2015, 15:53
No worries, the breaker I'm using has just confirmed that the one he has is from a ZT anyway.

Not sure if I'll chance the stop leak additive - I've read horror stories in relation to its effect on the power steering pump!!

On a separate note, my thermostat is gone and I think that there's a leak from it also - any savings in relation to labour costs to replace this at the same time?

Mike Noc
27th November 2015, 16:16
Wouldn't worry too much - the power steering pumps are usually pretty bulletproof, and as a consequence are cheap enough to buy used. 20-30 quid would get you a replacement on ebay and they are easy enough to fit.

Mine has now done over 372k miles and is still working fine.

Doesn't look like there is much in common when replacing a thermostat and power steering rack, but you might get a bit of a saving for getting a quote for both of them being done at the same time.