PDA

View Full Version : Recommended washer bottle additives?

Keith
3rd November 2006, 15:18
It seems the right time of year to ask this.
I tend to avoid the copious supplies of blue washer bottle top up fluid that begins to stock pile on garage forecourts at this time of year.

I have been led to believe the contents are not always good for the paintwork
I also found it used to jam the bi directional valve on my Picasso so ended up sticking with just ordinary water.

What is a paint friendly brand do you use?

GreyGhost
3rd November 2006, 15:31
I would tend to do a fill of plain water every now and again to help flush away the sticky residue that can build up in the bottom of the washer bottle and clog the filter.
I have not personally found the cheapo Halfords 2 for 1 ready mixed stuff to be a problem for paintwork and have been using it for many years.
I would however, be interested to hear other views, especially with regard to which ones to avoid.

MGM

Phil
5th November 2006, 15:01
I always use plain water, never had a problem, even in winter. I've found the water even with additives freezes as soon as it hits the screen so I stopped bothering.

Tatts
5th November 2006, 17:09
Whatever one uses, it always freezes up.

So, I put a drop of washing up liquid in, if it's good for cutting through my catering grease, it'll cut through road grease!

Phil
5th November 2006, 18:47

So, I put a drop of washing up liquid in, if it's good for cutting through my catering grease, it'll cut through road grease!

Doesn't that mess up the paintwork and block the pipes?

Keith
5th November 2006, 18:54
I have heated washer jets (very easy to retrofit) and really need something to stop the washer bottle freezing without breaking the bank as most that I have tried don't seem to be much good

anglaslt
5th November 2006, 19:51
From now on I'll be topping up with neat washer fluid down to -25. Problem is once the washer bottle freezes not only might it split open but it's devil of a job to get it unfrozen again.
Never had a problem with paintwork and as soon a spring returns I top up with summer wash.
Tom

driverjgp
5th November 2006, 20:42
I always use plain water, never had a problem, even in winter. I've found the water even with additives freezes as soon as it hits the screen so I stopped bothering.

I agree, but I use the mix coz i find it is better on greasy and dirty screens than just water.

Tatts
5th November 2006, 20:50
Doesn't that mess up the paintwork and block the pipes?

Not messed my paintwork up yet, and as for blocking the pipes, never had any problem in all the years I've been using it!

Neil Coupland
6th November 2006, 12:34
Iv'e always used additives, never had a problem with the paint or with the pipes getting blocked, although had this problem with the wife's Zafira. The pump was gunged up, apparantly Vauxhall state that only their own additive should be used, which implies that some are different to others?

Keith, with the heated washers, in icy weather, does the warm water freeze when it hits the screen, or does it retain sufficient heat to clear the glass?:lol:

Keith
6th November 2006, 12:44
Short answer Yes!

I tend to find if it can get out of the jets then you have a good chance of clearing the screen assuming the car and hence the screen is warmed up because then the glass is warmer than you might think.

Without heated jets we all know what happens a little dribble if you are lucky which due to the wind chill freezes up and from then on nothing for miles!

What does need addressing is the tendency for the pipe to freeze as the bit that runs above the wheel arch liner can take ages to defrost

I often wonder why designers don't install these things within the warm airflow of the engine bay

dustybin
6th November 2006, 20:18
you lot make me laugh...just water in winter, screenwash clogs my pipes, use only water- when i use screenwash it only freezes anyway(just like the water does?...we in sweden use the same screenwash as you, mixed to -25, mixed 1/3 or 1/4, heated screen jets have no use realy, you still need the mixture right, if it freezes then its mixed wrong, yes or no....

chris75
6th November 2006, 20:48
Not messed my paintwork up yet, and as for blocking the pipes, never had any problem in all the years I've been using it!

Agreed . Used it ever since I've had washers , and that's getting to be quite a long time now ! Just dont overdo it ................................

eVoHicks
6th November 2006, 21:48

Hi, allegedly washing up liquid is not good for the rubber surrounding your screen (was always told that when I had me 1st cars)
I do find that because I don't do a great deal of milage (around 5 - 6 k per year) the water bottle tends to smell when I use it sometimes. maybe its because I dont use it for long periods, and it settles, I'm not sure. But as for it being nasty to paintwork, I am very interested. Any proof?

Andy

Raistlin
4th November 2007, 18:56
To resurrect a year old thread.

Decosol All Seasons is the one I use.

Two to three times the price of the stuff you get on the garage forecourt but, in my view, very effective and doesn't damage the paintwork.

Gryphon
4th November 2007, 19:32
I use a product called Perma Clear it's expensive but also coats your windscreen. So the water clears a lot better.

andyw
4th November 2007, 21:05
I use Halfords scented mixed 1:4 at this time of year.

This thread caused me to remember a couple of things. A long time ago a teacher at school recieved three points on his licence because the school minibus jets were frozen.

Not quite so long ago I used to get annoyed with the ridiculous price the dealer charged for filling the washer bottle. I decided to fill it to the brim but the technician just left a full bottle in the passenger footwell. On the way home it rolled under the seat and I forgot about it until my wife sat in the passenger seat. The bottle split, we lost a small amount of fluid but gained £50 off the next service adter I wrote a letter to complain

Andy

TimO
4th November 2007, 21:09
I use ASDA's own additive in the wash but saying that I have treated my windscreen with Carlack 68 windscreen treatment which is like Rain-X but the SAS version, boy is it tough, nothing sticks to it not water, bugs, ice etc.
www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-amp-exterior/carlack-glass-sealing-kit/prod_348.html

JohnDotCom
4th November 2007, 21:18
Haven't seen much of you recently on here Tim.
Hope all is running OK. (and you and Good Lady) :D

TimO
4th November 2007, 21:28
Cheers John, Bev & myself ok. Changed jobs so doing more from home in the evenings and also Bev:bowdown:, working in a school and all that, wants to visit other parts of the country on HER holidays and if I even think of taking the laptop she would "NOT BE HAPPY" :frightened: But saying that, we've just had a great weekend in Ludlow, Great food and superb beer :beer2:

T-Cut
4th November 2007, 22:56
No big name screen wash additive will affect the paintwork. The manufacturers do too much research for that to happen. All screen wash formulas contain a detergent (like in washing up liquid) which make the water 'wetter'. This enables it to clear away grease and grime better than straight water. They often contain isopropyl alcohol to improve the cleaning and lower the freezing point of the solution. You have to use vast amounts to get below say -10 degrees though. The active ingredient isn't the same as used for washing up liquid and you should avoid using Fairy Liquid etc because they often contain salt to thicken them. This leads to corrosion in the wash reservoir and elsewhere any metal parts are in contact. Good additives contain a softener to prevent lime scale and will also contain a bactericide to prevent the growth of smelly bugs and agae in the reservoir. Cheap formulas soon degrade and allow cloudy material to grow. This is usually the stuff that blocks the jets. The stuff you pour into the bottle is clear but after a few weeks (summer especially) it turns clumpy from bacteria. Use bleach to clean grotty bottles and rinse well before refilling with good stuff.
In my early days, I did the research for an additive going into at least one big name screenwash formula. I won't say which.

TC

black olive
5th November 2007, 09:59
I thought the government had cancelled winter due to everyones " carbon footprint ":o

windrush
5th November 2007, 10:18
I've all ways used halfords with out any problems

Keith
5th November 2007, 10:22
One word of warning

Don't overdo the additive or if you do use it regularly as some of the various types seem to be heavier than water and settle out in to the washer bottle where they congeal into a snot like goo

Result - threads on blocked washer jets and inactive pumps.

I am now in the habbit of using plain water which if freezing weather is expected I syphon out and add just a pint or so of screen wash sollution which I then water down once the cold snap has passed

It is cheaper doing that as well ;)

Jules
5th November 2007, 10:40
Fairy liquid contains salt now you don't want to be putting salt on your cars now do you?

A product I don't recommend so far..... Comma screen wash.
Cheap & nasty from a Motor factors.
It grew that black bacteria and cloudy jelly in the original container after only one week!!!
This was after diluting it to 20% strength but before putting it the car!! (decided to use it as weed killer instead!)

shakennstirred
5th November 2007, 17:26
i have used the halfords winter ready mixed screen wash for the past 5-6 years without any problems