PDA

View Full Version : Wet and Wax polish

Ken
20th January 2007, 18:47
Has anyone tried the Wet and Wax polish from Turtle wax?

I washed the car today but never had time to put on any polish due to rain clouds coming over. I tried turtle wax Wet And Wax polish which was given to me a few months ago but never used. You put it on the car while taking off the water with a chamois. It looked horrible for about 10 minutes and had a dull look like a greasy haze all over the car. As soon as it dried it looked superb. Ok its no replacement for a decent wax polish but as a quick make do its excellent.

Ken

Zeb
20th January 2007, 19:00

I washed the car today but never had time to put on any polish due to rain clouds coming over. I tried turtle wax Wet And Wax polish which was given to me a few months ago but never used. You put it on the car while taking off the water with a chamois. It looked horrible for about 10 minutes and had a dull look like a greasy haze all over the car. As soon as it dried it looked superb. Ok its no replacement for a decent wax polish but as a quick make do its excellent.

Ken

Not tried that, I have used their wash n wax at the same time stuff and its ok, better than nothing! My grandfather always swore by turtlewax and his car lasted 3 decades of daily use!

HOMER
20th January 2007, 19:15
Haven't tried that but has any one used the waterless car wash ? you just spray on and wipe off no matter how dirty the car is.

Jamie
20th January 2007, 20:09

Ken

Ive used Hot Wax...which I think is similar...It works quite well....leaves the car nice and shiny, but your wiper blades squeek on the screen after.

Simon
24th January 2007, 16:52
I too use the Turtle Wax "Wash and Wax" shampoo but then I always follow up with a propper coat of wax (Turtle Wax Platinum for me) afterwards. If it looks like rain I pull the car up under the carport ;) :D

paddymcn
24th January 2007, 21:21
Hommer, I saw that spray and wipe 'stuff' on a shopping channel and was wondering if it was as good as it looked. That kinda thing seldom does...

andyjshaw
24th January 2007, 22:25
I have used it and I am really impressed although I find that it is not so good in the winter. When the temperature is low it does tend to smear quite a bit - more so on the roof for some reason. In the summer it looks fabulous!
Have you (or anyone) tried the Supagard treatment for themselves? I have got one but not yet dared apply it yet as I am waiting for warmer weather.

Zeb
24th January 2007, 22:29
I have used it and I am really impressed although I find that it is not so good in the winter. When the temperature is low it does tend to smear quite a bit - more so on the roof for some reason. In the summer it looks fabulous!
Have you (or anyone) tried the Supagard treatment for themselves? I have got one but not yet dared apply it yet as I am waiting for warmer weather.

My wife had it put on her new Chrysler Cruiser. Can't say we noticed much difference in looks, however her paintwork is much tougher than mine...*sob*

Simon
24th January 2007, 22:39
Not got that particular stuff but I'e got the Turtlewax Platinum series super wax shell thingy wotsit. Haven't yet applied it due to a certain dent in my door pannel.... grrrr. :(

empsburna
25th January 2007, 17:18
Just to bring this back from the dead - wax it wet does add a good layer of protection - an excellent "top up" to an already waxed car.

There are a number of these "quick detailing" sprays with wax in them - but the turtlewax one does seem to come out the best.

Dab drying the paint with a drying towel or a leather first before spraying on, then buffing off will give the best results.

Kandyman
25th January 2007, 18:50
Hi there empsbura,

Welcome :)

I take it you are the empsbura from the other forums ?

mach1rob
25th January 2007, 20:34
I used to swear by Autoglym, not anymore though!

Meguiars kit is awesome! Try it you won't go back, I'll do some before/during/after pics as I've not had chance to do the 75 yet :D

Lord Minty
25th January 2007, 20:52
We use this after every wash, an especially at this time of year. It works well :)

empsburna
26th January 2007, 10:04
Hi there empsbura,

Welcome :)

I take it you are the empsbura from the other forums ?
The very same.

I'l keep my paw down in here. ;)

Any detailing/polishing questions, fire away - if I dont know the answer I'l find out.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

empsburna
26th January 2007, 10:05
I used to swear by Autoglym, not anymore though!

Meguiars kit is awesome! Try it you won't go back, I'll do some before/during/after pics as I've not had chance to do the 75 yet :D
Both companies have products that excel at what they were designed for.

I swear by AG's Super Resin Polish but I love Megs #7 Finishing Glaze - Horses for courses and all that :)

Ken
26th January 2007, 10:42
The very same.

I'l keep my paw down in here. ;)

Any detailing/polishing questions, fire away - if I dont know the answer I'l find out.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Emps

Welcome to the club and forums, perhaps you could do a car detailing post and it could go in this forum http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Ken

empsburna
26th January 2007, 11:57
Emps

Welcome to the club and forums, perhaps you could do a car detailing post and it could go in this forum http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Ken
by all means Ken - I have a number of good guides I will post up - i'm happy to lurk and jump in to save any car washing/paintwork disasters.

Once my new site is up and running i'l happily give a discount to members of the club for paintwork correction/detaling etc

I also have a small budget for advertising (depending on the cost of a banner on the site ;)) But I will put that to you in a PM :)

Paul

Ken
26th January 2007, 12:11
by all means Ken - I have a number of good guides I will post up - i'm happy to lurk and jump in to save any car washing/paintwork disasters.

Once my new site is up and running i'l happily give a discount to members of the club for paintwork correction/detaling etc

I also have a small budget for advertising (depending on the cost of a banner on the site ;)) But I will put that to you in a PM :)

Paul

Paul

I will PM you this evening with detail of how to post up in the members contributions area. I will also send through the advertising costs etc which are very good value if you are interested ;)

Going out now but I will be back early evening and will PM then :lol:

Cheers

Ken

Kandyman
26th January 2007, 12:36
Shame your to far away from me empsburna, i have seen pictures of your work over there and would love a expert spending a few hours buffing me up :)

Look forward to seeing your new website :)

Paranoid Carlos
26th January 2007, 15:34
I'm also a mequiars convert, after clay blocking it stayed smoooooooth for months. Worth the effort and the brown scum the comes off a waxed and polished car is amazing.
Whats the best order though is it wash, clay, polish , wax or what

There tyre gel is also superb not too shiney but makes them the original colour again

Bit cold at the moment though;)

mach1rob
26th January 2007, 15:51
My usual routine is hose down, then lukewarm soapy water and a good sponge down, rinse, drip dry while having a brew, then a chamois paying particular attention to any crevices and gaps like those around handles and trim where water sits, have another brew, then clay bar, like you say, it's surprising just how much oxidation it takes out! Then I use the paint cleaner if it's not been done, then the stage 2 polish finished off with the stage 3 carnauba wax. I've not used their tyre dressings yet, as I'm happy enough with Turtle Waxes "Wet n black" spray stuff for now :)

As for the interior, I just wipe over with the damp chamois, if it is dirty, best cleaner I've found are baby wipes! Removes the grime with a couple of wipes and cheap and cheerful, plus hand to keep in car for when kids get in a mess :rolleyes:

Leather gets a good clean with saddle soap, and then a going over with proper hide food to keep it soft and supple, best stuff I've found so far is from a saddlery and again works out cheaper than anything from a car accessory shop, yet it does the job better.

Oh and I do the inside before the outside, so I'm not clambering around with wet and dirty feet!! :D

Paranoid Carlos
26th January 2007, 15:59
Found e-bay cheapest for leather food, Shops just want to sting when it comes to leather. Think it's called gliptone

THIS STUFF http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GLIPTONE-LIQUID-LEATHER-CLEANER-CONDITIONER-4-SEATS_W0QQitemZ190073573144QQihZ009QQcategoryZ7220 1QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mach1rob
26th January 2007, 16:05
Wasn't that impressed with the bottle of Gliptone that I had, I much prefer this stuff (or similar) recommended to me by a Rolls Royce owner too :)

http://www.saddler.co.uk/acatalog/Connolly_Hide_Food_for_Leather.html

Used to be able to get similar stuff from Pet City/Smart for about the £5 mark, but I think they've stopped doing it, as last time I asked in local Pet City I just got a blank look, thankfully there's plenty of equestrian places round here, so wasn't hard to get some :)

EDIT

Quick hunt, this is saddle soap I use, damp sponge, quick wipe over soap, and gentle rubbing over leather, lifts the dirt out with no real effort :)

http://www.saddlery.biz/pp/Tack_Care/Leather_And_Rug/Brecknall_Turner_Saddle_Soap.html

empsburna
26th January 2007, 16:53
I'm also a mequiars convert, after clay blocking it stayed smoooooooth for months. Worth the effort and the brown scum the comes off a waxed and polished car is amazing.
Whats the best order though is it wash, clay, polish , wax or what

There tyre gel is also superb not too shiney but makes them the original colour again

Bit cold at the moment though;)

wash (leave wet)
clay
wash (removed the lube and anything that has gathered)
polish
wax
leave 24 hours
another layer of wax

there are a number of things in between, like using a good car shampoo (not fairy liquid!) making sure you rinse out the washmit before you dunk it back into suds (this is called the two bucket method - a guide will come that will make you wince)

oh, and throw those sponges and leathers away!

I like gliptone - leaves a nice matt finish which is good for up to three months. Inbetween its a wipe over with a damp microfibre cloth.

I will try other things if people have used them and do rate them - I like to try new things out!

HOMER
27th January 2007, 09:15
wash (leave wet)
clay
wash (removed the lube and anything that has gathered)
polish
wax
leave 24 hours
another layer of wax

there are a number of things in between, like using a good car shampoo (not fairy liquid!) making sure you rinse out the washmit before you dunk it back into suds (this is called the two bucket method - a guide will come that will make you wince)

oh, and throw those sponges and leathers away!

I like gliptone - leaves a nice matt finish which is good for up to three months. Inbetween its a wipe over with a damp microfibre cloth.

I will try other things if people have used them and do rate them - I like to try new things out!

Hi,emp's What is a clay bar and how is it used?

empsburna
27th January 2007, 14:12
Hi,emp's What is a clay bar and how is it used?
a clay bar is used to remove bonded contaminants from the surface of the car.

with lubrication you gently run the clay over the panels of the car - icking up tree sap, industrial fallout etc.

a quick pic from this morning of a 2 square foot part of a 2 year old clio bonnet.

http://www.midlandsdetailing.co.uk/images/cliobonnet.jpg

Once clayed, the car needs to be rewashed - then polished and topped off with a wax of choice :)

I'l be popping up a few guides over the next few days for you to digest - give me a shout of bump the thread if you have any questions.

and showing off the end result!

http://www.midlandsdetailing.co.uk/images/cliodone.jpg

//edit - i'm wearing gloves in the picture
//edit edit - i havent removed the bodyshop tape from the washer jets yet!

windrush
27th January 2007, 15:13
Im impressed

mach1rob
27th January 2007, 20:51
It is excellent stuff! The old Ti had been sat for about 12 months untouched before I got my hands on it so paint was as flat as with no shine, all rough and horrible, here's the before and after pics, and it was that easy, I didn't break into much of a sweat either :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/mach1rob/Ti/ti4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/mach1rob/Ti/Tilarge.jpg

HOMER
28th January 2007, 07:20
Im impressed

:iagree: Wot

Graham1961
24th November 2007, 20:56
Hi Club Members. I Have Used Turtle Wax It Wet And Have Been Quite Pleased With It, I Do Not Think It Will Be As Durable As A Proper Liquid Polish But As A Quick Way Of Topping Up An Already Waxed Car Its Very Good. With The Dark Nights Now Upon Us And Good Valeting Time Short Turtle Wax-wax It Wet Is An Ideal Way To Give Your Car Some Protection Quickly.

empsburna
24th November 2007, 23:44
Thats a great way to use it. For a quick once over or a top up you cannot beat it.

Horby
10th December 2007, 10:54
After shampoo and rinse (the car that is :)) I use 'DEMON SHINE' Mix a capfull in a full watering can and pour over all the vehicle. Then leather off. I was amazed at the shine this leaves for such little effort. I used to get it from Halfords, but they have now stopped stocking it. I Have two bottles left so may have to have a browse on the web to see who else retails it. Some Halfords do have it in the clearance bins, so keep a look out, it's in a bright red bottle.