PDA

View Full Version : clutch master cylinder

drive me crazy
19th January 2016, 16:18
Decided to bleed my clutch today as it seemed to have air in the system,can anyone tell me, topped up the master about half way which enables one to get the condom back in without flooding the car with brake fluid. Do you have to fill the condom up with fluid as well?

Number 6
19th January 2016, 16:23
Decided to bleed my clutch today as it seemed to have air in the system,can anyone tell me, topped up the master about half way which enables one to get the condom back in without flooding the car with brake fluid. Do you have to fill the condom up with fluid as well?

In a word NO;)

drive me crazy
19th January 2016, 16:56
Thanks NUMBER6 saves me accessing that awkward master again.

HarryM1BYT
19th January 2016, 18:09
My theory is...

That the system (the pipe and MC) was pressure filled with fluid from the bottom up, which would compress the condom. The idea was that the condom isolates the fluid from the air above the condom, as fluid is lost, the condom expands.

So you cannot hope to ever fill it to maximum original capacity with that condom in place. Some of us, including myself, recommend cutting the condom so as just to leave the part which seals the lid in place, as it can no longer serve its original design function without compromising the quantity of fluid you can get into the cylinder.

roverbarmy
19th January 2016, 18:15
My theory is...

Some of us, including myself, recommend cutting the condom so as just to leave the part which seals the lid in place, as it can no longer serve its original design function without compromising the quantity of fluid you can get into the cylinder.
So basically, use it as a sealing washer for the cap? :shrug:

DMGRS
19th January 2016, 21:43

Pretty much! :)

bobthebuilder
20th January 2016, 18:45
Sorry this is a bit off topic but something Harry said reminded me of something I've always wondered.....

Bleeding brakes etc always struck me as very inefficient and time-consuming. Is there no way of setting up a mechanism for sucking the fluid through the pipes or something? And in manufacturing, surely they don't bleed all the systems in situ do they? So what happens in car factories?

neilb740
20th January 2016, 20:34
Sorry this is a bit off topic but something Harry said reminded me of something I've always wondered.....

Bleeding brakes etc always struck me as very inefficient and time-consuming. Is there no way of setting up a mechanism for sucking the fluid through the pipes or something? And in manufacturing, surely they don't bleed all the systems in situ do they? So what happens in car factories?

I believe there are vacuum bleeders on the market but I use a Gunson easy bleed which works the opposite way and blows the fluid through from the master using the pressure from the spare tyre.

works for the clutch and the brakes.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/gunson-brake-bleeding-kit-14-piece-set/33881?kpid=33881&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Car%20and%20Van-_-Shopping%20-%20Car%20and%20Van&gclid=CL-C89yrucoCFUG4Gwod03kGxw

bobthebuilder
20th January 2016, 20:58
I believe there are vacuum bleeders on the market but I use a Gunson easy bleed which works the opposite way and blows the fluid through from the master using the pressure from the spare tyre.

works for the clutch and the brakes.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/gunson-brake-bleeding-kit-14-piece-set/33881?kpid=33881&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Car%20and%20Van-_-Shopping%20-%20Car%20and%20Van&gclid=CL-C89yrucoCFUG4Gwod03kGxw

Thanks, that's interesting and a useful looking product.

Mike Noc
20th January 2016, 22:14

It won't seal it though as there is a hole drilled in the cap.

Bleeding brakes etc always struck me as very inefficient and time-consuming. Is there no way of setting up a mechanism for sucking the fluid through the pipes or something?

Yes I've used this for a few years now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Engine-Vacuum-Diagnostic-Tester-Brake-Clutch-Bleeding-Bleeder-Kit-VS4021-/390682547809?hash=item5af67e9661:g:Rx4AAOSwq7JT25e w

They seem to have gone up in price a fair bit though. :getmecoat:

Also a good way of testing your EGR valve operation.

HarryM1BYT
21st January 2016, 00:38
It won't seal it though as there is a hole drilled in the cap.

An MC even if almost full, will only tend to slop fluid around the edge of the lid, so a vent hole in the middle will not be a problem, or at least that is what I found. The idea is mostly to limit dirt and dust entry.

It does have to have a vent hole, to prevent vacuum or pressure above the fluid when the pedal is depressed.

Mike Noc
21st January 2016, 07:14
Agreed Harry, but as we know that is the whole point of the condom - to seal the air out whilst allowing for pressure equalisation in use.

The system shouldn't leak in use, so no need for any extra clutch fluid in the reservoir, and if it does start to leak then fair enough you can get a bit more fluid in by cutting the condom, although my temporary solution made it far easier to top up until it the slave was replaced.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h415/MikeNoc/21012011352Small.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/MikeNoc/media/21012011352Small.jpg.html)