PDA

View Full Version : More Headlamp bulbs to fill the car!

robbrooks
23rd January 2016, 11:45
I have become quite an expert in changing headlamp bulbs on my 75. I thought once I swapped my original headlamps for projector headlamps that this would be an end to headlamp bulbs failing, but no - its increased if anything. I changed the offside bulb at the end of December and this has now blown again. I reckon I change the bulbs on each side about every 6 months, but this seems to be increasing to every month now. I know its been discussed on this forum before, but have we any further advice here. £200 on a set of projector lamps to cure this issue hasn't worked! I have tested all makes of bulbs but none seem to last very long. If anyone has discovered a long lasting headlamp bulb or some other cure please let me know. :duh::duh::duh::duh::duh::duh::duh:

barney bear
23rd January 2016, 11:57
Id be interested as well, I fitted Osram night breaker unlimited or something like that and they lasted about 12 months. I've just put some of those Philips specials in our projectors so I'm just waiting to see how long they last now, 3 months so far and still working:D

maxi_crawf
23rd January 2016, 12:18
I fitted a pair of Night breakers (dipped) to mine, one blew after about 10 months, now have a set of Bosch bright white? no guff on the box about extra % brightness but they seem ok, found out about them on which website.

T-Cut
23rd January 2016, 13:57
I reckon I change the bulbs on each side about every 6 months, but this seems to be increasing to every month now. - - - If anyone has discovered a long lasting headlamp bulb or some other cure please let me know.

Perhaps it's not the bulbs but the wiring system. Have you checked the usual suspects?

TC

robbrooks
23rd January 2016, 14:53
Perhaps it's not the bulbs but the wiring system. Have you checked the usual suspects?

TC

and what are the usual suspects T Cut :shrug:? Do I need a T4 to check this out?

robbrooks
24th January 2016, 10:13
One other issue concerning these bulbs that blow at regular frequencies is the occasion that they blow.. I have noticed that its usually when I hit a speed bump or rough bit of road, which implies that the bulb isn't secure. However, when I replace the bulbs there is no detectable movement. The clip holds the bulb firm. Any clues on this aspect? Can I make a more secure fix here? :shrug::shrug::shrug: I've read somewhere a bit of silicone may do the trick, but I'm assuming that this should not be on the contacts but on the clips that hold the bulb???

Steve42
24th January 2016, 18:49
just had my first Osram night breaker bulb blow . on the drivers side.
been in just over a year .

COLVERT
24th January 2016, 19:13
Have a check of the alternator output.

Try from 2,000 rpm upwards.---Could be your charging voltage is a tad too high.

Shouldn't get above 15 volts.--:}