PDA

View Full Version : Reverse sensors with Display

Christopher
21st January 2007, 20:48
Over yesterday and today I have installed one of those after-market reverse sensor kits off Ebay. (My Taurus kit was totally on the blink and just beeping all over the place so it was out).

Drilled the bumper using the supplied drill bit and using the guide marks on the inside of the bumper.

I fitted the display to the window mounted brake-light facing forwards (rather than over the rear-view mirror). But that means the display would be upside down - so took the display apart and trimmed the display PCB and flipped it upside down within the display case. I then rubbed all markings off the display face (as the text would be upside down) the text is not needed anyway.

This is what it looks like, seems sensitive enough - will need to test it out though to see how useful it is in practice ;)

Oh, and I need to paint the sensors silver - black on silver too obvious. Do you reckon if I just sprayed them with "ordinary" silver spray (not starlight silver which I don't have) it would be OK?

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/345b3dc71e4283.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/345b3dc729aecb.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/345b3df91dc437.jpg

Kandyman
21st January 2007, 21:06
looks good Chris,
Much easer to mount it in the back saves running teh cable along the lenght of the car.
Is it on all the time or just when you put it in reverse ?

Christopher
21st January 2007, 21:07
looks good Chris,
Much easer to mount it in the back saves running teh cable along the lenght of the car.
Is it on all the time or just when you put it in reverse ?

Thanks. It is connected up and powered by the reverse lights in the usual way.

Kandyman
21st January 2007, 21:16
Silly me i should of knew that Chris :) working nights is affecting me :confused:

Nice work :D

Mike
21st January 2007, 21:22
A very neat instal Christopher - nice one :)

I look forward to your report on how well it does.

Rich
21st January 2007, 21:40
I presume your left is still left and not right, right?

:)

Nicely done Christopher!

I'd say any silver paint would do, they only stand out as the bumper is no longer smooth, doubt anyone would notice a shade difference?

Christopher
21st January 2007, 21:43
I presume your left is still left and not right, right?

Nicely done Christopher!

I'd say any silver paint would do, they only stand out as the bumper is no longer smooth, doubt anyone would notice a shade difference?

yes, as the display is facing forward and flipped by 180 deg so left is left etc.

Thanks, I was going to mask off bumper and spray lightly with silver - do I need to prime plastic??

Moonstone
23rd January 2007, 09:57
do I need to prime plastic??

Yes, or the paint will flake and fall off. Accessory shops will sell primer suitable for plastic.

Keith
23rd January 2007, 17:49
Does the electric blind clear the display?

If it does I might just do the same in my 260 one advantage over you I won't need to paint anything :pillow:

Alex30013k
23rd January 2007, 18:06
You just installed that because you really wanted neon lights in your car but just could not go that low, so you got the next best thing!

I would of thought it would clear the blind,

Christopher
23rd January 2007, 19:16
Yes, or the paint will flake and fall off. Accessory shops will sell primer suitable for plastic.

Thanks, I get some - I will be spraying them on the bumper as I don't really want to pop them off - I'm not being too lazy am I?? ;)

Christopher
23rd January 2007, 19:18
Does the electric blind clear the display?

Easily yes - of course with the blind up the horizontal 'bar' of the blind blocks the display but you can still here the b-beeping - and I shouldn't really be reversing into tight spots with the blind up should I ;)

Christopher
23rd January 2007, 19:22
You just installed that because you really wanted neon lights in your car but just could not go that low, so you got the next best thing!

Neons?!? (when there are LEDs galore!! ;) ) Nah! not me - mods that have style and are as OEM as poss is what I go for ... in fact with the reverse off, and no markings on the display case it blends in nicely with the brake-cover ...

Seems quite sensitive too, showing up 2m worth of obstacles behind me and only beeping when it gets to below 1m and seems to be sensitive up to 0.3m (the display indicated 'P'[arked!])

You also get the advantage of left and right indicators which I suppose can be helpful!