PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 estate

reesalan
22nd April 2016, 19:02
Decisions decisions decisions just had a pre mot bad news no 1 front brake binding
no 2 front suspension has excessive play in a track control arm inner bush offside front
no 3 brake pipe inadequately clipped rear above tank
no 4 power steering ram s leaking from a failed component near side rack
do i part x or spend money on her again
2004 rover 75 diesel estate connoisseur f s h 90,000 :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Scaramanga
22nd April 2016, 19:09
All cars are money pits.

Question is - is the cost of keeping the 75 going less than starting again with another car with unkown history?

ZedTeeT
22nd April 2016, 19:33
When It comes to spending money, it's a head and heart choice, your head saying don't be silly and get rid and your heart saying, yea but I really like it........ I've always ignored a cars value and made the choice to spend the money, or not spend the money, on the simple answer to a question, do I like it enough? I'm currently working my way through a very long list indeed on my 233k zt-t cdti. By the time I'm done I would undoubtedly have spent more than it's worth. But, do I like it enough? Yes I do, and that's my choice.

Coups
22nd April 2016, 19:37
Keep it!! That's not too big a list and all are relatively cheap repairs. Except the steering rack which I've absolutely no idea about..... The cost of repair would be cheaper than getting a new one. You know you'll only be offered pennies as a trade in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonathan63
22nd April 2016, 20:07
and once its fixed, those bits wont need doing again for a very long time.:}

alanjay
22nd April 2016, 20:44
Decisions decisions decisions just had a pre mot bad news no 1 front brake binding
no 2 front suspension has excessive play in a track control arm inner bush offside front
no 3 brake pipe inadequately clipped rear above tank
no 4 power steering ram s leaking from a failed component near side rack
do i part x or spend money on her again
2004 rover 75 diesel estate connoisseur f s h 90,000 :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

In a real MOT, not pre-MOT, some might be failures, others advisories.
Hope you did not pay for pre-MOT check because that's money that could be spent towards fixing problems that might be highlighted by a genuine MOT.

reesalan
22nd April 2016, 21:03
yes sorry a mot not a pre mot :getmecoat:

Ravinder
22nd April 2016, 22:49
A pre MOT costs around £15 so not too bad. Worth doing in my opinion.

Kennyeth
23rd April 2016, 10:54
Do you like the car? yes then fix it.
If you buy another and depending how old or new-ish you can afford you might be buying something that needs more work.
I class most used cars for sale, probably more than 50% of them are got rid of because they are needing something doing.
Stick with what you have. ;)
Ken.

stevenkeyte
23rd April 2016, 18:19
I'm of the 'better the devil you know' school - you know the car and when those relatively easy fix faults are remedied you'll have a car you know is right for another 12 months and if you got rid of it how much would you get for a twelve year old car with no MOT to put towards another vehicle which 'could' come with a host of issues which need fixing.
I'd repair it and keep it :-)

Steve

johnnyb44
23rd April 2016, 18:32
It's all down to personal circumstances but could you buy another fantastic car for the money that's needed to get yours through its mot. Keep it alive buddy and enjoy it while you can :-))

reesalan
25th April 2016, 10:23
well i,am thinking of offering my car for sale for £1,350 as she stands any takers before i p x here :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
alan rees NOW ONLY £1000 BUT BE QUICK SHE,S GOING WEDNESDAY

kbonney88
25th April 2016, 10:30
worth saving in my opinion. better the devil you know.. plus I think its time we need to start saving our cars before they get too thin on the ground..

repair and keep! :)

reesalan
25th April 2016, 10:58
Yes i do agree and it,s a nice car but thing are a little tight and we have the daughters car as she is in uni
She s up for sale on here

kbonney88
25th April 2016, 10:59
worth putting to one side for a wee while?

Huey
25th April 2016, 14:11
Keep it!! That's not too big a list and all are relatively cheap repairs. Except the steering rack which I've absolutely no idea about..... The cost of repair would be cheaper than getting a new one. You know you'll only be offered pennies as a trade in

Agree with the 'keep it' - - -and that last sentence is certainly true. I was offered £230 part exchange for my 75 recently. :D

Prelude91
25th April 2016, 14:16
keep it, spend the money necessary and enjoy.

reesalan
25th April 2016, 15:39
No she as to go i am sorry but feel free to save her make me a offer i don,t want her to end up in the scrap heap

£1000 for a quick sale she,s going WEDNESDAY SO BE QUICK

Nick45
25th April 2016, 19:41
What are you saying here Alan - that it's for sale for £1k to members but if no-one buys it gets scrapped on Wednesday? Can't see there being too many takers for that deal.

reesalan
25th April 2016, 20:24
No i have had a offer of px for a van again we have only spoke on the phone and arranged to meet on weds

reesalan
26th April 2016, 10:46
I just could not bring myself to part with her like this so i have borrowed the money and taken her to the garage to be done wish me luck :duh::duh:

Huey
26th April 2016, 11:30
Excellent news - -and good luck! :}

RPWC
26th April 2016, 15:44
Keep it!! That's not too big a list and all are relatively cheap repairs. Except the steering rack which I've absolutely no idea about..... The cost of repair would be cheaper than getting a new one. You know you'll only be offered pennies as a trade in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The steering inner rod is replaceable, there is a special tool needed, but can be got from eBay, along with the inner rod.

reesalan
27th April 2016, 14:48
Thank,s for persuading me to keep the car just had the repairs done

Mot repairs n/s front caliper / offside suspension bush // brake pads ///seal for power steering total £273.60 not as bad as first thought where i gained on the power steering i lost with the caliper

£273 :-) :duh::duh:

ratchet
27th April 2016, 15:38
Thank,s for persuading me to keep the car just had the repairs done

Mot repairs n/s front caliper / offside suspension bush // brake pads ///seal for power steering total £273.60 not as bad as first thought where i gained on the power steering i lost with the caliper

£273 :-) :duh::duh:

I love a happy ending.

Better the devil you know, and she should be good for another year.

reesalan
29th April 2016, 13:21
Mot passed with flying colours :duh: