PDA

View Full Version : Hi Line CD changer pin out info

keiron99
28th July 2008, 13:13
Thanks to the sticky, I have found this:

Hi-Line CD Changer Pinout info

Left and Right Audio, a Ground Wire, a +12V Wire and a connection to the K-Bus.

Pin 8 Ground
Pin 10 +12V
Pin 5 K-Bus
Pin 1 & 2 are one audio pair and pin 6 & 7 the other, wiring diagram does not indicate which is Left and Right though

I'm considering butchering my Dension dock and connector and just need to establish the correct pins. All I need to do is wire in the power and left and right audio channels. I'm aware I'll lose the steering wheel controls.

First a dumb questions: how do I establish what is pin 1, 2, 5, 8 etc?

Regarding 1&2 being one audio pair and 6&7 being the other , does that mean that 1 is signal, and 2 is return (or vice versa)? Is there a way of determining which is the signal and which is the return other than trial and error?

Greeners
28th July 2008, 16:23
First a dumb questions: how do I establish what is pin 1, 2, 5, 8 etc?

If you look carefully on the connector body, the cavities are marked at each corner.

HTH

keiron99
28th July 2008, 16:29
If you look carefully on the connector body, the cavities are marked at each corner.

HTH
Thanks. Didn't spot that when I took it all apart. I really do have to admit to myself I need specs!

t_i_m
29th July 2008, 20:47
I was going to post the following in response to my own question in this thread so I hope its of some help:
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=23127

I know a lot of this is covered else where but hopefully this may help someone looking to add an IPOD adaptor:

Highline boot tuners have old style BMW 17 pin round connectors, which also has two 10 pin connectors, one for the cd changer and one for the TV. Newer BMW's have 40 pin (flat) quadlock. Therefore any IPOD adaptor with radio interface for 17 pin BMW connector will fit but you would have to have the IPOD in the boot.

If like mine your car has a cd changer in the glovebox the easiest way is to buy an adaptor for a BMW (Namely E46 but others also) prewired for a cd changer (3 and 6 pin connectors). Below and attached are the pin outs to allow you to modify the wiring to suit. I bought a DICE silverline and changed the 3 and 6 pin connectors from the DICE wiring to the one off my cd changer to make the connection. You could also change the cd changer connector from the cars loom to the 3 and 6 pin connectors pictured below:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/sallyandtim/BMW_3_6_pin.jpg

Below is the wiring for our cars, this is mentioned in previous posts but I can confirm the audio connections.
Alpine Cd Changer Connections:

Pin 6: Left Signal
Pin 7: Left Signal Ground
Pin 1: Right Signal
Pin 2: Right Signal Ground

Pin 10: +12v - (Purple & pink)
Pin 5: KBUS - (red & white with yellow).
Pin 8: Ground - (Black).

There is an extra ground - Pin 3, from the cd changer itself which is not connected.

BMW Prewired cd changer connections:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/sallyandtim/bmw_CD_changer_Pin_out.jpg

For a quick review on the DICE silverline I have fitted:
Good sound quality. Some BMW owners have reported interference e.t.c but the BMW changer connections are always in the boot so I suspect this is largely from running an extension cable.
Text does not display correctly on a 4:3 screen as the permanant 'track' text gets in the way. I have a MK3 nav drive with the latest software so my display is different from those with OEM Rover nav drives. However I can make out the beging of the text easily enough to allow me to select playlists and also search by artist.
I can provide more info if anyone is interested.

keiron99
30th July 2008, 08:04
That's excellent information. I am however trying to reduce the amount of snipping and soldering I need to do!

Do you know if this Connects2 device would just plug and play?

http://www.deals-on-ice.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=45

t_i_m
30th July 2008, 08:33
Keiron, you have the 4:3 navigation don't you? If so then no as the link above is an ISO connector.

I don't believe any of the kits simply plug into the cd changer connector, they all plug into the back of the radio / tuner. So if you want plug and play you will have to keep the IPOD in the boot or run an extension cable, which comes with most of the BMW nav kits - seems ashame when there is already the wiring there. I think you can just select any kit which has the 17 Pin BMW block.

Pretty sure this will fit:
http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=ABMIPOD007

How about this is one specifically for our car:

ICELINK PLUS
http://www.raysmith.co.uk/Original-Equipment-upgrade/OE-iPod/ILBM1734RV/

Hope this helps - took me ages!

keiron99
30th July 2008, 08:55
Thanks again. Yes, I do have the 4:3 screen. I hadn't found that Dension in any of my searches. I've been using Dension for years in my other cars and do like the active cradle supplied - it's reasonably robust and discrete.

Just to clarify something though: are you saying, with both those items you have linked to, that I'd still need to run cables to the boot? That's a heck of a job, isn't it?

t_i_m
30th July 2008, 09:21
Thanks again. Yes, I do have the 4:3 screen. I hadn't found that Dension in any of my searches. I've been using Dension for years in my other cars and do like the active cradle supplied - it's reasonably robust and discrete.

Just to clarify something though: are you saying, with both those items you have linked to, that I'd still need to run cables to the boot? That's a heck of a job, isn't it?

The connects2 would not have an extension lead included but I assume you can buy that seperately, on some sites you select by car, if you select E46 (3 series BMW) with 4:3 navigation it often adds £15 or so, I assume this is for the extension cable.

As for the second link to the Dension I am also not sure whether it would come with an extension lead - best to ask.

Here is another link to a Dension Gateway100 which replaced the ICELINK plus (also has aux in). Under car model you would select 3 series with 4:3 navigation under 17 pin BMW. You would also have to buy the 4m extension cable lower down the page (I asked whether it was included but it isn't).

http://www.ghc.co.uk/acatalog/ice_Link_Plus_Car_Connectors_for_iPod.html

Just a note, its confusing that the Symphony is sometimes refered to as 'Highline'??

keiron99
30th July 2008, 09:28
Thanks again. I really, really don't fancy having to run a big extension cable like that but it looks like there's no choice unless i chhose to do some butchering.

Forgive my ignorance again. But are you saying that as long as I'm prepared to do some snipping and soldering and changing of plugs and sockets, I could in fact just unplug the CD changer in the glove box and connect the Dension/Connects2 to that plug?

t_i_m
30th July 2008, 09:46
No - the easiest way to butcher is to buy an adaptor for a BMW pre wired for the cd changer, this will then come with the 3 and 6 pin connectors as descibed in my first post in this thread.

For example:
http://www.incaripod.com/Vehicle/BMW/BMW_Dension_Gateway_100_iPod_Car_Adapter

If you scroll down the above link it says "must be pre wired with 3 and 6 pin connector". I am not sure why you still have to select radio type (i.e 4:3 navigation 17 Pin connector) as it does not use the radio connectors but I assume the IPOD adaptor maybe configured differently depending on the radio / display type. It is likely you would get an extension cable anyway with the above as the BMW cd changer connectors are in the boot.

Please be aware I am not 100% that any of the above adaptors will work as I have not tried them, but as they connect in the same way as the DICE silverline I bought (which I don't really recommend due to the display issues) I assume they will work. But I would hate you to buy something on my say so and it not work!

t_i_m
30th July 2008, 10:03
Keiron, just to clarify if you get an adaptor for a pre-wired BMW you do not need to cut any wires. You will just swap the connector over from your cd changer to the IPOD adaptor - the pins are the same size.

However the connectors you swapping with are likely to be on the end of a 4m extension cable, so cutting and soldering would be required if you wanted to shorten this.

The BMW connectors show in my first reply are from the car loom (pin sockets) so the connectors which come with the IPOD adaptor would be the mating half of these (pins).

You could modify a radio interface but that would involve cutting and soldering and you would need the tuner pinouts.

keiron99
31st July 2008, 08:21
OK this is my plan. It is the cheap and cheerful option! I hope you can help Tim.

I'm going to use the Dension active cradle that I have in my parts bin. It amounts to an iPod cradle with a cable from it and a mini din plug on the end. I already have assembled, from a previous install, a female din which plugs into this with wires connected as follows:

Pin 1 - Audio Right
Pin 2 - Audio Ground
Pin 3 - Audio Left
Pin 4 - +12v
Pin 5 - Video (not used)
Pin 6 - Elecrical Ground
Pins 7&8 - Data TX &RX (not used)

Now, I'm also hoping to avoid having to buy any new plugs. So, I want to intercept the existing wires.

Do I simply unplug the CD changer and connect the wires from the Dension to the appropriate wires on the cable that runs to the boot? On a previous install I did, I recall that I had to leave the data/bus connector attached to the CD changer, to "fool" the headunit into thinking the iPod was a CD changer, otherwise it wouldn't recognise anything was there at all.

I realise this may mean I lose some functionality in that the steering wheel controls won't work and I'll be entirely dependent on the iPod interface, but that's somehing I can live with.

Now, if you elieve this will work, can you tell me which wires on the Rover wiring I connect to which pins on the Dension? There seems to be some discrepance in that te Dension only has one audio ground, whereas the Rover has seperate left and right ground, for example.

Finally, I recall I used to have little crimp type connectors that enabled you to intercept wires an add a new one withot oldering. You simply snapped it all togther with a pair of pliers. Any idea what they're called? I browsed Maplin's website but couldn't find them.

Many thanks.

stocktake
31st July 2008, 09:03
Think they are called blade connectors :)

Anybody thought about working out how to use the tape function as an MP3 input?

t_i_m
31st July 2008, 09:18
Morning Keiron
I think you have answered most of your own questions:

The audio grounds are connected together.
You are correct the Kbus need to be connected to something which emulates a cd changer. There are people on here who are far more knowledgeable than me on this sort of thing.

Maplin Connectors:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43076&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=connector&doy=31m7

Hope this helps

keiron99
31st July 2008, 09:30
Thanks, that's brilliant (and just the little connector I was after!)

I guess if I leave Pin 5 connected as is (and this obviously means leaving the CD changer in situ, and perhaps leaving cd in there spinning away) it might do the trick.

I shall feedback.

Many, many thanks.

keiron99
2nd August 2008, 15:06
I am pleased, no, I am trouser wettingly delighted to tell you that my modest little plan works! Half an hour of snipping, taping, and crimping and I now have my Ipod playing through the CD changer port. As expected, the CD changer has to still be connected, but you don't in fact even need to leave a disc in. With the magazine removed, the ipod still plays, albeit with a message "no magazine". Pity the CD changer doesn't read the disc titles or I could just put a burnt disc entitled Ipod in there and it would come up on the display.

Just one thing I haven't done yet though and really would appreciate confirmation before I do it. I haven't yet connected the power from the CD changer's loom to my iPod. I know I sound dumb here, but although I'm certain the red power wire from my iPod goes to the Pin 10 (+12v) of the changer, what does the black cable go to? Does that go to the Pin 8 (ground, black) of the changer?

Many thanks again.

rayb1
27th August 2009, 10:49
Gents

Could you please resend the Rover 10 pin outs to connect to the BMW 6 & 3 pin outs as I would line to install a DICE unit and IPOD in my Rover 75

The images in previous posts have been deleted

This will be a great help

Thanks