PDA

View Full Version : Tourer help!

coab
1st May 2016, 10:36
My friend has just changed the rear tyres on his tourer and the outer edge about 1/2 way across to the edge were badly worn on on both. The garage has checked the tracking and is spot on.
Can anyone tell me what it could be. I know it could be a bush but any specific ideas? Its on a 54 plate.:}:bowdown:

T-Cut
1st May 2016, 10:49
Either the tracking is correct or it's not. Worn components affect the tracking results as well as wearing the tyre edges, so you have to wonder about how it was done. The car requires a full four wheel tracking session to confirm everything's as it should be. It sounds to me like it's way out.

TC

coab
1st May 2016, 11:00
I will get him to take it to another garage. I thought that but as I know very little about the tourer set up I thought I would double check with the folkes on here. Thank you.:}

another_clean_sheet
1st May 2016, 12:19
I had a recent problem on my tourer with worn outer edges and I took it to a garage which had the latest 4 wheel tracking equipment the toe in/out was incorrect and also the camber needed adjusting.
Mike

T-Cut
1st May 2016, 12:53
- - - also the camber needed adjusting.

I wonder how they did it - any info?

TC

another_clean_sheet
1st May 2016, 13:10
I wonder how they did it - any info?

TC

Do not know though I have the before and after measurements that show it having been changed. I think you will find that Trikey knows how to do it as we were having a discussion about 4 wheel tracking when I was with him a few weeks ago.

Ravinder
1st May 2016, 14:19
Also, it must have a full tank of fuel to do the tracking correctly.

T-Cut
1st May 2016, 14:35
Only the front and rear wheel toe has any adjustment. I guess a change in camber may be the indirect consequence of correcting the toe. Considering how it's all set up, one can affect another. The default 'unladen condition' for tracking is the car with no occupants and a 90% fuel inventory.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/Suspension_Stuff/Wheel_Alignment_Data.jpg

TC

coab
1st May 2016, 14:43
So if he puts 90% fuel tank capacity and use those figures he will be fine.;)

T-Cut
1st May 2016, 14:46
Yes, providing the tracking depot has the same specs. They don't all use the same data, which can be worrying, eh?

TC

coab
1st May 2016, 15:33
Will print them off!;)

spyder
1st May 2016, 17:55
My friend has just changed the rear tyres on his tourer and the outer edge about 1/2 way across to the edge were badly worn on on both. The garage has checked the tracking and is spot on.
Can anyone tell me what it could be. I know it could be a bush but any specific ideas? Its on a 54 plate.:}:bowdown:

Assuming that the rear arms have been checked for corrosion, I trust this would have been noticed when on the ramps though.

Even with towing, my tourer rear tyres wear very evenly, the front is another matter though...

SCP440
1st May 2016, 18:08
Just a thought were they good quality tyres or Chinese or conomy tyres?

I have a friend who was running economy tyres to his Focus and was having odd ware characteristics, as soon as he changed to a quality tyre the problem disappeared.

The guy in the tyre depot said he had seen this before on some cars.

muggerbee
1st May 2016, 21:33
Last summer there was a north west garage day where 4 wheel tracking was on offer, one of the attendees had serious toe in or out wear, can't remember which, on his tourer rears which was picked up and corrected.

kaiser
2nd May 2016, 06:40
Inflation is also important. Under inflation will wear the outsides, over inflation the middle section of the tyre.