PDA

View Full Version : Turbo lag/kick down...

KRISTLEE
10th May 2016, 02:41
Hi All,

When overtaking, pulling out or foot down to the floor for kick down hard/fast acceleration my diesel ZTT auto seems to think about it for a second before the turbo (I assume) kicks in and then accelerates away like a rocket.

Is there always a second or so delay or is acceleration supposed to be immediate as soon as the pedal is fully pressed down?

Would I be correct in thinking it's yet another out of spec MAF?

If not normal and not the MAF, what else could cause this?

Don't get me wrong it still pulls away like a train and at higher speeds it seems to take seconds to go from 50/60mph past high 70s into the 80s. I don't intend to get it above the legal limit but it goes that high with no effort and it really does get above 80 before I realised

barney bear
10th May 2016, 05:13
Ours is the same Lee, I fitted a new MAF about 6 weeks ago so it isn't that. I think it could be the transmission fluid because ours has never been changed in 212,000 miles:eek: It's on my to do list, along with lots of other stuff:duh:

KRISTLEE
10th May 2016, 05:25
Ours is the same Lee, I fitted a new MAF about 6 weeks ago so it isn't that. I think it could be the transmission fluid because ours has never been changed in 212,000 miles:eek: It's on my to do list, along with lots of other stuff:duh:

Thanks for reassuring me that the MAF is probably not at fault here... I was supposed to go see Trikey last year for a few things to get done including an ATF change but I couldn't make it so I think I will make it a priority to get done as mine has done 154k and I have no record of an ATF change.

first-things-first
10th May 2016, 10:15
Mine has a new MAF, ATF has been changed (all 8 litres) and my EGR has been blocked from working - same effect as bypass. The throttle response is much better, car is in the right gear majority of the time. This is mainly due to the EGR being bypassed.

The gearbox is not the most immediate responder to kick down, so I would say this is normal. This is in normal (D) mode, however as this is economy mode. Try it in sport mode. It should change down much more readily.

If you really want best response use the gears. Start in D3, then move to D4 when you want and finally to D when cruising. It will hold onto the gears and not change up until you command it. :}

KRISTLEE
10th May 2016, 11:36
Mine has a new MAF, ATF has been changed (all 8 litres) and my EGR has been blocked from working - same effect as bypass. The throttle response is much better, car is in the right gear majority of the time. This is mainly due to the EGR being bypassed.

The gearbox is not the most immediate responder to kick down, so I would say this is normal. This is in normal (D) mode, however as this is economy mode. Try it in sport mode. It should change down much more readily.

If you really want best response use the gears. Start in D3, then move to D4 when you want and finally to D when cruising. It will hold onto the gears and not change up until you command it. :}

Cheers First Things First,

Thanks for all your advice.

One of the very first things I did when I got the car was blank the EGR so it must be needing an ATF change.

I'll try driving in sports mode for now until I get an ATF change done.

andrewinpopayan
10th May 2016, 16:05
I put a bottle of neat "Wynn's" injector cleaner through mine (via the fuel filter method). I gave the car a GOOD spanking and it seems to be more responsive.

barney bear
10th May 2016, 18:29
I put a bottle of neat "Wynn's" injector cleaner through mine (via the fuel filter method). I gave the car a GOOD spanking and it seems to be more responsive.

I use Redex once a month (every 2nd fill up) so hopefully that should keep our injectors in good fettle. She also starts first time every time so that's why I'm leaning toward the auto fluid.

KRISTLEE
10th May 2016, 23:33

I use Redex once a month (every 2nd fill up) so hopefully that should keep our injectors in good fettle. She also starts first time every time so that's why I'm leaning toward the auto fluid.

I had a Terraclean done last October and I chuck in a bottle of stuff every now and then. I'm leaning towards an ATF change myself as it's not an actual running problem it's symptoms are more transmission or power delivery related.