PDA

View Full Version : Diesel wont start!!! Help please

Roverandover
12th May 2016, 21:45
Hi all, I went out to my car on Tuesday morning, it unlocked as normal via the fob but when I turned my key in the ignition there was nothing. No ignition lights and nothing at all when I turned the key to start it.

I had to leave it as it was and go to work. I've charged the battery for around 6 hours and after that the ignition lights came on but when I tried to start it nothing again and no power at all after that.

Anyone have any ideas? I've been very busy of late and not had much of a chance to investigate further so would really appreciate any help.

Cheers
Kev

Amsca2
12th May 2016, 22:11
Battery done? Try jumping it first to rule in or out anything sinister. I fixed my rear blind today and it drained battery but a quick jump and back to normal.

SD1too
13th May 2016, 08:05
I've charged the battery for around 6 hours ...
To rule out a discharged battery Kev, six hours is nowhere near enough. You'll need to connect a mains powered charger for at least 24 hours, preferably longer. If the 'battery ready' light illuminates during this time, ignore it and continue charging.

Check that your battery terminals are clean including where the black negative cable is connected to the bodywork.

Simon

Arctic
14th May 2016, 07:48
Hi Kev.
When you charge the battery for the six hours which as Simon says is not really long enough if the battery is the problem, did the lights flicker and was you getting a fast clicking sound from the car.

If not and no starter engaging at all completely dead remove the small connection wire from the starter motor pictured below here.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2q1wcio.jpg

Clean it up also try running a wire from the start connector to the positive on the battery and get some one to try to start the car for you, we learned this little trick recently via a trusted renowned (MB ) ;) as a members car was completely dead, no ignition at all and would not start connected the wire and Voooom off it started.

We also checked his starter solenoids later and replaced the plunger etc as they had worn after doing 100,000 miles this was an extra precaution.