PDA

View Full Version : Best Wax for Protection in Winter

Dave Goody
31st July 2008, 18:18
My ZT these days gets infrequent use. I drive it 2-4 times a month. Has to be parked outside. What is the best protective wax I could use on it for standing out in winter weather. Shine is very secondary.:) Dave

grossebaby
31st July 2008, 18:24
I would try Bit Hamber AutoBalm for protection but you must prepare well first.

It got fantastic ratings for protection in Practical Classics test, polished metal didn't go rusty!!!!!!!

Please note I am biased as he is a customer of mine but I have tried it and found it to be very good.

Just thought, if anyone wanted I could possibly set you up a group buy, he does clay bars too along with other products. I haven't the time to deal with buying and distributing it myself but I am sure something could be done direct!

Teflon
1st August 2008, 07:23
Collinite 976s is rated very highly as a "winter wax" over on detailingworld.com

I use it myself and am very pleased, but can't vouch for its longevity as I always re-apply each month (I just enjoy waxing the '75).

Cliff

Dave Goody
1st August 2008, 14:09
Cheers everybody, will try one of these :) Dave

keiron99
1st August 2008, 14:31
Why would you need a different wax for summer and winter? Are the mixtures of ingredients they use really that carefully tuned?

Must admit, I do like the sound of "wet look". I always think my cars look best when they have water on them! Are they really that effective?

I do wonder, when one manufacturer has half a dozen different waxes, whether it's just the same old mixture with a different label.

Johnny2R
1st August 2008, 14:49
Collinite 476 gets very good ratings for longevity. Here's a report from AutoExpress:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/218889/collinite_no476s.html

Longevity is presumably what you're looking for - it doesn't wash off easily.

Dave Goody
3rd August 2008, 22:06
Collinite 476 gets very good ratings for longevity. Here's a report from AutoExpress:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/218889/collinite_no476s.html

Longevity is presumably what you're looking for - it doesn't wash off easily.

Colonite? Isn't that what I use for my piles:o Dave

Tatts
3rd August 2008, 22:17
I've found Nattys Blue good. Easy to apply & remove (no white residue etc) and it's quite durable. Even after 6+ washes I still get very good beading effects. My favorite wax now.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/poorboys-nattys-paste-wax-blue/prod_11.html

Dragrad
4th August 2008, 00:22
A few years ago, a person from a local village used to cake her car in Vaseline for the winter. It looked, over the winter, a leaf, dirt ridden car, but in the summer, after she'd cleaned all the gunk off, it was immaculate!! The car was an Avenger and even after 30+ years it looked like new (in the summer) :D

Teflon
4th August 2008, 07:12
Colonite? Isn't that what I use for my piles:o Dave

I've no idea. Are they shiney?

On second thoughts, I don't really want to know!

Dave***t
4th August 2008, 07:57
Why would you need a different wax for summer and winter? Are the mixtures of ingredients they use really that carefully tuned?

It's because the waxes you'd choose for their appearance alone would tend not to be as durable on the car as waxes you'd want in winter, which don't look quite as good, but last better in the harsh weather.

For example, I really liked the results I got with Pete's 53 wax last summer, but for me, it doesn't really last long enough in winter conditions, so I use something else. Still haven't got round to getting the Pete's out again this year, actually...

keiron99
4th August 2008, 08:50
Now I must confess to knowing nothing about the technology here, but I'd have thought that it was more difficult to make a wax for summer. Surely the long hot days, when car panels can become too hot to touch, must be more difficult to make a wax to stand up to?

David3807
4th August 2008, 10:39
My ZT these days gets infrequent use. I drive it 2-4 times a month. Has to be parked outside. What is the best protective wax I could use on it for standing out in winter weather. Shine is very secondary.:) Dave

No room anywhere for a car port ???????

TimO
8th September 2008, 22:15
Collinite 476 is the SAS of waxes. Reminder to self - must wax car 'if' we have a dry day.

Dragrad
8th September 2008, 23:22
Reminder to self - must wax car 'if' we have a dry day.

What's a dry day? :confused:

David3807
9th September 2008, 09:13
What's a dry day? :confused:

Usually one when your are at work:)

deano78
9th September 2008, 19:10
Collinite 476 is the SAS of waxes. Reminder to self - must wax car 'if' we have a dry day.

whole heartedly agree. 476 is a complete nutter when it comes to staying power. 3 coats, 24 hrs apart will last into spring as long as you don't wash it with anything dodgy.

nairda
10th September 2008, 13:09
I use Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance and it lasts for ages. I can get away with waxing once every six months if necessary...

It is recommended for winter use too.

MrBitsy
19th September 2008, 19:49
Colinite 476 is a superb wax for staying power, but also have a look at Zaino - they say up to 9 months protection. I have had Zaino on my 75 now for a couple of months and it looks as good as the day I put it on. I wash the car at least twice a week.

Mr bountyfull
19th September 2008, 21:51
Cant see past Harly's for long lasting protection and not that expensive.

Steve.

TimO
19th September 2008, 23:01
Heads up everybody, the BBC weather man said "this weekend is ideal for waxing your 75's and ZT's" well he didn't really but it could be the last chance we have before winter.

Cheers

Tim ;)

eternalife
22nd September 2008, 05:37
For a Durable wax its got to be Collinite 476s - many keen Detailers on DTW use this as their winter wax (myself included)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=collinite+476s&search_type=&aq=1&oq=collinit

A few decent vids to show its capabilities and anyone who has used it can vouch for its longevity.
I personally do not use it on the windscreen (as shown in one youtube vid above) as it causes smears under wiper use.
Works very well on all other windows / side mirrors etc.

Doesn't cost the earth and does exactly what it is intended to do which is protect :D

Did read in an earlier post someone saying its not easy to remove once applied? To remove use a more agressive detergent such as Meg's APC (although this will most probably strip back everything applied). If not intending to 'strip back' all polish/sealant/glaze/wax etc use a more milder detergent (my personal choice being Meg's Gold Class) - repeat as required or play with 'strengths' of detergents accordingly.

Also, someone mentioned Nattys Blue wax - I have tried and tested. Didn't really find this durable (not even close to Collinite 476s) under single layer application. It is however well priced, and can be layered for durability but I wouldn't use it as a winter wax personally :)

dgreaves
30th October 2008, 15:34
Has anybody ever tried SWISSOL waxes their advert is sometimes in
Classic and Sports car. Especially Swissol Wax "Mystery"
"our founders own formula
55% by volume of Carnaubu wax
achieves a shine that goes beyond the word shiny"

the downside to this is the price £290 for a 500 ml. tub.

one can only dream and carry on with the MER

Dave Greaves

deano78
30th October 2008, 18:54
swissol, thats a blast from the past. they're now called swissvax and their waxes are very good but pricey. and mystery is their "mid range" wax. top end is divine at £1300. if you think thats bad google "zymol solaris". just make sure you're not drinking anything at the time.

kevin
31st October 2008, 08:20
swissol, thats a blast from the past. they're now called swissvax and their waxes are very good but pricey. and mystery is their "mid range" wax. top end is divine at £1300. if you think thats bad google "zymol solaris". just make sure you're not drinking anything at the time.

had to be done. will ask the ex to get some for me from my boys, it is coming up to xmas.:D:D

dgreaves
31st October 2008, 10:17
Deano

that's amazing $30,000/- for a wax, but back to the Mer except now I'm
drinking it!!

Dave