PDA

View Full Version : Do injectors need coding?

Big.Al
8th June 2016, 20:51
Got a ticking/clicking noise on cold startup that my garage thinks could be related to the reconditioned injectors I fitted that’s not been coded? I thought they didn’t need to be coded. Is it possible to code them?

I think it’s a exhaust manifold leak personally. As had new engine fitted recently.

CDTI 2004 tourer auto.

muggerbee
8th June 2016, 20:56
Only if you have a Mondeo ;)

Mike Noc
8th June 2016, 21:36
Your garage obviously doesn't understand how these cars work. :getmecoat:

Maybe a good idea to find one that does? ;)

Big.Al
8th June 2016, 21:47
Your garage obviously doesn't understand how these cars work. :getmecoat:

Maybe a good idea to find one that does? ;)

They are really good normally they fix stuff rather than replace it. It was a rover garage in the day but it was one of the younger mechanics that I spoke to today.

Might wait and speak to the boss.

Mike Noc
9th June 2016, 07:18
Sounds like a good plan Al.

There have been a few threads on the forum where things have got very expensive because the garage concerned doesn't have the depth of knowledge on these particular cars.

Most garages get there in the end, but good ones diagnose correctly from the start, and only end up doing work that needs doing and only replacing parts that need replacing.

Sounds obvious, but sadly not always the case. :getmecoat:

Agree with your mechanic that it could be an injector related issue though - did you use new sealing washers when changing the injectors?

Big.Al
9th June 2016, 12:39
Not initially but I took them out cleaned out the ports with an injector port/seat cleaning tool, new washers in and refitted but still have the noise. Sounds like exhaust gas escaping too, once warm is a lot quieter but still sounds baffely. One of the injectors had let some gases past as there was loads of carbon in one port.

Is there any way to be sure it’s the exhaust manifold? or not?

I had a new/used engine fitted 3-4 months ago (head gasket failure/cracked head) which when fitting needed the inlet manifold gasket replaced due to coolant leak which is why I suspect the exhaust gasket.

Mike Noc
9th June 2016, 21:59
Generally the old soapy water trick shows up gas leaks very well, but access is very limited around the exhaust manifold.

Can you get the car up on a lift and check from underneath with the engine running and the undertray removed?

Big.Al
10th June 2016, 13:49
Generally the old soapy water trick shows up gas leaks very well, but access is very limited around the exhaust manifold.

Can you get the car up on a lift and check from underneath with the engine running and the undertray removed?

Yes I’ve got some axle stands could be tight but would like to confirm before taking to garage on Monday.

MF1980
10th June 2016, 20:32
Its a reasonable question.. do injectors need coding..? Not on these diesels, no.. but on anything slighty more modern, yes they do need coding in. For example.. the BMW M47N2

Big.Al
14th June 2016, 20:54
Good news is my A/C compressor whine was just lack of oil due to a certain quick fitting garage. Garage said they could not hear the noise they also said they could not code injectors. Picked up and it was a bit quieter. Later tonight………..tick tick tick tick. Gave it a good thrashing to get it up to temp ticking gone but sounds like its blowing also hesitating upon putting my foot down (auto gearbox) I think I’ll take it to another garage and just get them to change the exhaust gasket. Is it a big job?

muggerbee
16th June 2016, 12:35
check your intercooler O rings first

Big.Al
16th June 2016, 12:55
check your intercooler O rings first

Thanks. I've done them already but with the engine change one might have fallen out as they do. I've ordered new ones and will fit. Apparently you can fit three by making a grove in the elbow might give it a go will let you know how I get on.

pletevl
16th June 2016, 13:23
It wouldn't go tick tick tick if it was your intercooler seals, it would go woooooosssshhhhhhhhh :-)

Big.Al
19th June 2016, 21:25
It wouldn't go tick tick tick if it was your intercooler seals, it would go woooooosssshhhhhhhhh :-)

It's definitely, I think, manifold gasket sounds noisy too. Got it booked in to the garage as that is too big a job for me. Fingers crossed as the car is running great otherwise and I'm adding all the pre project drive stuff on too.

Big.Al
21st June 2016, 21:44
Garage says it's a manifold gasket. Now I have to take it back to the garage who fitted the engine.

Big.Al
26th June 2016, 20:30
Back to the garage tomorrow hopefully get new manifold gasket fitted.

Big.Al
1st July 2016, 16:30
New gasket in and problem solved. She's running great once again.

Mike Noc
1st July 2016, 22:49
Always good to hear of a happy ending Al. :D