PDA

View Full Version : Help bleed screw head has snapped off !

tidus72
9th June 2016, 21:09
Just need a bit of advice please :bowdown:

I have just finished doing some work to the cooling system on my 1.8 k series rover 75, all went well and the system bled nicely but as i was doing up the metal bleed screw nice and tight SNAP, the head sheared off the top.

Looking at what's left of the head it seems like it's been over tightened in the past, it was difficult for me to undo in the first place.

It's not leeking but abviously I will not be able to bleed it in the future, is it safe to continue using the car as it is ? :shrug:

I have put some loctite glue over the top just to give it a bit of protection :duh:

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated :D

HarryM1BYT
9th June 2016, 21:12
If it is bled and not leaking, there is no reason why it will be a problem until it needs to be bled again in the future.

tidus72
9th June 2016, 21:26
It seems OK, the shaft of the bleed screw is tight into the pipe, hence why it snapped, I was just worried the fact it's got no head, I assume that the sheared off thread is enough to block the hole for it not to leek :eek:

Mike Noc
10th June 2016, 07:36
Might be, but then again might not be once the engine gets up a head of steam. :shrug:

If it was me I'd replace it as soon as. :D

As you discovered, they don't need to be nice and tight - just tight enough.