PDA

View Full Version : Steeering/suspension noise after new tyres.

Dawn
11th June 2016, 17:27
Hi guys

I had two new tyres on my diesel Connie this morning, and since then I'm getting a noise on the driver's side when I move the steering anywhere other than central. It's like a rubbery bonging noise - could it just need to settle after being on a trolley jack, or could I have pranged something somehow getting the tyres done?

jonathan63
11th June 2016, 17:36
Try putting a finger on the front suspension spring while turning the steering wheel. If you feel the bonging through spring your top mounts are shot at.

What make of tyres did you fit?

Dawn
11th June 2016, 17:41
They're Avons. I will give that a try when the torrential rain stops. :)

jonathan63
11th June 2016, 18:12
They're Avons. I will give that a try when the torrential rain stops. :)

Nothing wrong with Avons. My second favourite tyre. That can't be your problem. My money's still on top mounts.

Dawn
11th June 2016, 18:23
If it is, is it okay to drive until I can get someone to it?

jonathan63
11th June 2016, 18:54
If it is, is it okay to drive until I can get someone to it?

Nackered top mounts? Yes and no.

Yes: I've been driving mine, but I'll be changing them next week.

and No: you shouldn't drive a car with a fault.

Edit: I have a theory about road springs braking. They are commonly blamed on road calming humps or poor road (and that might have something to do with it but if you saw the state of our mile long farm track you'd expect us to go through road springs like mad, but we don't have any breakages). Now, I spent 20+ years restoring upholstered antique furniture. Road springs usually break on the top or bottom coil.......and guess where furniture springs break? A: the top or bottom coil, and usually the last 1/2 coil too. Fitted correctly a furniture spring in a chair or sofa seat can last up to 150 years and still be doing it's job. If it's fitted incorrectly and under the wrong stress or tension it can fail in a couple of years.
In a nut shell, I think poorly fitted or poorly functioning road springs is the bigger part of the problem. And seized top mounts will only increase the likelihood of a break. Just my opinion.

ZedTeeT
11th June 2016, 18:54
Definitely sounds like the top mount bearings are causing some resistance preventing the springs from moving smoothly, hence the "boinging". Fortunately not too big or expensive to get sorted.

Can't see it being anything to do with the new Avons, I've never had any problems with them as they're good quality boots.

Dawn
12th June 2016, 14:10
Just been around the corner in I, and it must have settled a bit, as its not so pronounced today. Did the finger on the spring test while stationary and can definitely feel it through the spring. Now I just have the problem of finding someone to do it. My local Halfords would have a field day!

Dawn

jonathan63
12th June 2016, 17:31
No chance of doing it your self?

If not, get a recommendation of a good garage from a friend and take it there.

Or take a few days holiday in north wales and let Jules do it.

Dawn
12th June 2016, 17:56
No, I'll try basic stuff, but being a girl I wouldn't attempt messing with suspension. Wish I was closer to Jules and some of the other reputable members.

James.uk
12th June 2016, 21:48
You are not that far from either BigRuss or Phil T4, so try contacting one of them... :}

Alanbp
13th June 2016, 11:47
I would agree with Jonathan63. I had the boing strut top bearings and it was the N/S. When I took them off they were all rusting and nasty. Just fell apart.
Springs looked ok. I reassembled the front struts and a couple of weeks later the N/S front spring snapped stranding the car. Coincidence?