View Full Version : maf sensor

hawker
12th June 2016, 14:55
hi people ... is there a "how to" on testing a maf sensor. thanks.:}

FrenchMike
12th June 2016, 15:12
hi people ... is there a "how to" on testing a maf sensor. thanks.:}

I have taken some measurements on mine ,if it could help :shrug:

http://rovermg1.free.fr/rovermg/thumbnails/as9fYcVb9fKr4DMFgccj.jpg (http://rovermg1.free.fr/rovermg/images/as9fYcVb9fKr4DMFgccj.jpg)

Mike

hawker
12th June 2016, 15:21
thanks French mike ... been reading on here about faulty maf sensors. had a 160 remap and now the 75 cdt auto blows a lot of black smoke out when you put your foot down. and only get about 36mpg on a run. so just wondering if there was a test.

RPWC
12th June 2016, 15:34
Try disconnecting it and see if the performance improves, it will use more fuel and smoke more though, but off its not performing properly , performance will improve. They can sometimes be cleaned by immersing them in a jar of IPA alcohol,and then allowing to dry.
If a replacement is required,best bite the bullet and get the original Bosch one,a little more expensive, but will last longer.
cost circa £120 Don't be fooled by the ebay ones that claim to be the genuine article. EDIT: just re read your post, it could be already disconnected, judging by your symptoms.

Union Wheels
12th June 2016, 19:38
Hi hawker,
if you have an android phone, you can buy a blue tooth dongle (ELM327) that plugs into the OBD socket for about £5, pair it to your phone and read the MAF figures as the engine runs using "torque app".

The other way is to have a T4 session, or as French Mike says get the digital volt meter out.

hawker
12th June 2016, 19:47
don't suppose they do one for iPhone :}

HarryM1BYT
12th June 2016, 21:16
don't suppose they do one for iPhone :}

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/engine-link-obd-ii-vehicle/id591557194?mt=8

A search found the above..

Greenman
14th June 2016, 18:23
I have a ZTT diesel, new to me. Exactly the same, a 160 remap and decat exhaust. Smokes on strong throttle and a bit sluggish on initial pick up pulling away. My Synergy 75 cdti is much quicker and hardly smokes.
I've been very disappointed with my purchase
I have replaced air filter which was pretty black and not correctly fitted at the oval end. and I've replaced the pcv filter which was very oily.
Also redid the intercooler seals.
I shall watch this post
A decent average tech I know suggested a seal or diaphragm on the fuel pump and possible injectors
I think I can still hear Hiss underload but can find not oily wet areas on the pressure side

HarryM1BYT
14th June 2016, 21:47
I have a ZTT diesel, new to me. Exactly the same, a 160 remap and decat exhaust. Smokes on strong throttle and a bit sluggish on initial pick up pulling away. My Synergy 75 cdti is much quicker and hardly smokes.
I've been very disappointed with my purchase
I have replaced air filter which was pretty black and not correctly fitted at the oval end. and I've replaced the pcv filter which was very oily.
Also redid the intercooler seals.
I shall watch this post
A decent average tech I know suggested a seal or diaphragm on the fuel pump and possible injectors
I think I can still hear Hiss underload but can find not oily wet areas on the pressure side

Check the MAF, EGR + manifold, also check the Intercooler pipework, plus Intercooler itself for potential leaks. The original black pipework are known to become porous.

Mike Noc
15th June 2016, 07:09
I've been very disappointed with my purchase.

Sounds like you have another problem - could well be a faulty MAF sensor, or loss of inlet air pressure as you mention a hiss. Just out of interest who carried out the 160 remap and exhaust decat?

I have replaced air filter which was pretty black and not correctly fitted at the oval end. and I've replaced the pcv filter which was very oily. The PCV 'filter' is really an oil separator, so it will be oily if it is doing its job correctly.

I think I can still hear Hiss underload but can find not oily wet areas on the pressure sideBest to diagnose before changing anything or it could get expensive - a T4 or similar diagnostic will check out all the sensors, including the MAF, and give you a good idea of injector condition.

Also, as mentioned by Harry, check the intercooler and all the pipework for leaks and the inlet manifold for cracks or leaking seams.

Greenman
15th June 2016, 20:21
Do you know anyone with T4 diagnostics in Somerset?