PDA

View Full Version : Mg zt climate control

Pete_901
13th June 2016, 16:20
Hi folks

Just brought a 2005 mg zt-t Cdti! I'm having a small issue with the climate control. When going from 'low' until 27c... It stays the same temp and the flaps do not move. When going from 27c to 'hot' you can here the flaps moving and it get warm. Is this a common problem?

Greeners
13th June 2016, 16:22
welcome along

Try the link below to run the diagnostics

Pete_901
13th June 2016, 16:28
Thank you. I ran a diag test on it and there is not faults found?

Greeners
13th June 2016, 16:32
You'll probably find then as it's a diesel the original stat is stuck and the engine is never getting hot enough. have a search on "in line stat mod"

Greeners
13th June 2016, 16:34
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74451&highlight=renault

Pete_901
13th June 2016, 16:39
The inline stat mod has already been done, temp is perfectly inbetween hot and cold. I can't hear the flaps move at all at anything under 27c. So it's either cold until I put it on 27c then it gets slightly warm then when I put it on hot it goes from slightly warm to roasting!

Greeners
13th June 2016, 16:40
Well I can only think that the heater matrix is blocked then

Pete_901
13th June 2016, 16:43
Would that cause the flaps not to move correctly?

Greeners
13th June 2016, 16:59
Would that cause the flaps not to move correctly?

Not sure if it reads the temperature from the coolant in the matrix of from the ECU...other then that I can only think that one of the motor servos is faulty or obstructed.

Pete_901
13th June 2016, 17:04
How easy access is the matrix and the parts where the flaps etc are?

Sector-9
13th June 2016, 17:16
I think the flaps only move when a change in temperature is needed? If that's the case, and if it thinks the interior is already warm enough, then it makes sense they'd only move to 'hot' when a higher than internal temperature is requested. I'm not sure from memory if TOAF can read the interior temperature as detected by the ATC, but that'd be one way of doing it. Also remember that the temperature sensor for the ATC is the little grille to the left of the steering column, next to the center console - check this isn't blocked with dust, etc. and try a quick squirt of freezer spray into it when the ATC is on to see if that prompts the flaps to move.

Pete_901
13th June 2016, 18:34
Yeah I see where your coming from. I shall check it next time I'm in the car! But surely if you want to set it to a certain temp, no matter what the temp inside or outside the car is... Surely it will let you set it to what you want? It's not on auto mode yet... Just normal manual. Although I don't know what auto modes does yet

Sector-9
13th June 2016, 21:05
That's the thing: you set the desired temp of the car interior, not the air coming from the heater assembly. Ratcheting the temperature up or down on the panel won't do diddly to the flaps until the system decides it's needs to act to effect the change - and that might include other strategies such as fan speed and re-circulation before it attempts to adjust the blending flaps. Provided that the flaps do move from hot to cold and back again (even if you have to set uncomfortable temperatures to test this) then you can probably rule out the actuators.

Auto mode gives the ATC full control of blower speed, recirculation and aim of the air flow, however temperature control is always automatic except at HI or LO settings. If you've manually selected any of the above (their symbols will disappear from the little "auto" rectangle in the middle of the display), then the ATC may not be able to achieve the requested temperature. I leave mine set to 'auto' most of the time (though I then activate 'econ' mode which just turns off the air conditioning) and find that it generally works quite well, except in heavy rain when I need to manually choose demist mode.

Pete_901
13th June 2016, 21:14
Ah yeah I understand now, it makes sense! I thought it was the temp of the air that comes out the vents. Thanks for clearing that up!

SD1too
13th June 2016, 21:20
.. temp is perfectly inbetween hot and cold.
Pete,

Did you know that the gauge is meaningless? At the 'normal' nine o'clock position, your coolant temperature could be anywhere between 75 and 115°C. :eek:

As you have a diesel, as Greeners says, it may well be rather cool. Activate the IPK diagnostics like this (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=185808) and find out what the coolant temperature really is. That should greatly help the diagnosis.

Simon

Pete_901
13th June 2016, 21:50
Wow I didn't even know you could do that. What else are in them settings? Il take a reading of the coolant temp tomorrow and let you know what it says