PDA

View Full Version : Climate Control / Air Con

John Finch
13th June 2016, 18:33
Fairly new to posting on here so go easy!

My Connie 75 Petrol has been off the road for about a year but is now MOT'd and back strutting its stuff.

With the warm weather we have been having I felt that the air con wasn't as cool as it should be so went and got a top up. They topped up but said "that air con was not working and was "stuck" they had greased and oiled where they could and that sometimes if a car has been laid up for a while it can free itself up after a little running" hmmm

Can anyone shed any light or is that mumbomechanicjumbo for "its knackered!"

Fans seem to be working - hot air comes through when you turn up, relatively cold when you turn it down but not as cold as it should be.

T-Cut
13th June 2016, 18:59
Hello John. The first thing to confirm is the operation of the radiator cooling fan. It's a 2-speed in the 1.8s and the slow speed is vital for the correct operation of the aircon system. The aircon people should have identified a faulty fan, but it's easy enough to DIY. You need to do the 'Demist Test'.

With the engine cool and at tickover and with the aircon system off (i.e. in ECON mode), press the Demist button. This invokes the aircon system, irrespective of any preset conditions. The interior blower will ramp up, but the radiator fan at the front of the carshould also turn on and run. Getoutside , lift the bonnet and check. It should run continuously at the low speed until the Demist button is pressed off. If the slow speed doesn't trip on within a few seconds, the high speed should start after a minute or so. This will then pulse on-off until the Demist button's pressed off.

Do that test and report the results for further advice.

TC

John Finch
14th June 2016, 17:19
Thanks TC

Just tried that now and when you put the demist on, the fan kicks in immediately. Not sure if it was slow or fast but the fact that is kicked in straightaway.

John