PDA

View Full Version : Another topic about a leaking boot...

Supervinnie40
13th June 2016, 19:15
Hi all,

The leaking boot isn't really something new. There are several topics on the forum. However, I couldn't find any that helped my case. I'm on the hunt for creative solutions.

My boot leaks. Not much, but enough to be something I want to fix.
The leak is on the left side, it comes down behind the boot-lining and slowly flows into the spare wheel area.

I took out the lining to see where the water is coming from, but I just couldn't find anything. Even when I took the hose out and sprayed the car, I couldn't find a drop.
After searching this forum I found a few places:

- the airvent behind the lining
- the rubber from the bootlid
- the rear window

So I took out the lining and put sealant on the airvent. Not a drop found there.
I got inside the boot, closed the lid and tried to pull a piece of paper along the rubber. It was tight as...... something that is really thight. Not a drop found there either.
Then I took off the trim from the rear window and put sealant all around the glass.

So I kinda thought I took care of it.
Yesterday it rained, and now there is a little bit of water in the back.....

:mad::mad:

Anybody has any ideas what else to look for? I'm a bit lost...

ZedTeeT
13th June 2016, 20:22
Hi, have you checked the seals on the rear light clusters?

fandango151
13th June 2016, 20:55
Mine had similar. Saloon btw

Rear seals sorted on lights.

Didn't cure it. The clips under the chrome strip on rear window were my problem. Not and easy one to get to but here's my bodge.

Squirt silicone under the clips when trim is removed and for good measure ibwent through the holes in the boot and behind the boot light. Smeared all clips with a layer of silicone. Not a good solution but it worked because like heck would I try to remove and refit the clips.

stevestrat
13th June 2016, 21:26
If its running down the side could be the clips securing the chrome side trim. Remove the clip, dollop of silicone then refit the clip.

rab60bit
13th June 2016, 22:25
I've not fully investigated the problem yet (I have already fitted new one-piece rear light housing seals) but I have exactly the same issue on my Mk2 saloon with a small puddle forming in the N/S just behind/below the inner wing boot trim moulding and think one source is the rear screen clips as I can find water across the top boot frame (finger test thro' the slots inside, one of which takes the boot lamp).
Apart from the other known leak points already mentioned suggest Supervinnie40 might also check the 2 boot lid hinge bolts (might as well do do both sides (just 4 bolts altogether), take out one at a time and drop a bit of silicone sealant into/around the hole and re-tighten.

7T5
14th June 2016, 13:00
Sounds like where mine leaks. I think its the bolts holes at the hinge, i have fixed all the other leaks i think.

Seanalf
14th June 2016, 14:36
It's the chrome strip on mine, I've removed and re-seated the passenger side, little bit of creep crack to hopefully sort it.

The passenger side however :mad:, the rearmost nut just spins, won't come out and there is water trace! 2nd nut in, removed and silicon in the hole and a piece of inner tube rubber put over the screw. Creeping crack on the retainers further down the line and crack put in from the outside.

Fingers crossed for you, but I would say that is the most likely place for the leak as your water is pooling exactly the same as mine. £52 for a replacement trim from Rimmers, think I'll just keep going with the silicon :shrug:

scottish_don
14th June 2016, 19:42
Yep, chrome strip on mine, I used some silcone sealant on them and they've been all right since then. The leak on mine was only on the drivers side.

7T5
15th June 2016, 14:37
Drivers side on mine to. Do you all have the wee foam washers behind the nuts? Mine were missing on one side picked up a few from the scrap yard on Sunday.

Supervinnie40
20th June 2016, 05:10
Apologies for the very late reply guys. I'm doing 80 hours a week and when I have some time for myself I kinda forgot about this topic.

I had another play with this subject yesterday. Since I had the time, I decided to re-do everything.

- I removed the lining on the inside. Removed those airvents, cleaned off the sealant re-applied all the sealant.
- I removed the chrome trim and applied sealant along the entire side of the glass. Nog a spot was missed.
- I removed the rear lights, cleaned them up and re-applied sealant.
- I removed the chrome trim on the side and put some dots of sealant on the holes it sticks through.

I really hope I've done everything I can do.... Now just waiting for the next rain :).

P.s. I didn't do the hinge bolts, because if it is still getting water inside I'll know that it can only be 1 thing left to do. (And I didn't have the right tools when working on it).

Supervinnie40
26th June 2016, 05:30
And after a busy week (and bit of rain) I checked the boot.

There was water in it....

I checked everything I could think off. The only thing I noticed is that the second fastener for the chrome strip on the side is missing. No clue where that on went.

So now I'm on the hunt for one those fasteners, see if that fixes it. I don;t even know if the water is coming from a new source, or still the same....