PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet warning light

horatiostephen
13th June 2016, 20:29
The bonnet warning light has came on over last few days so when you lock the the car via the key fob it makes the beep/alarm sound after about 20mins the alarm goes off.. how do i change the bonnet sensor on front panel..? Ive tried pushing plunger up/down with no luck... ive used WD40 ect

Tourist
13th June 2016, 21:16
If it's been raining a lot then it's probably just water-logged. Mine did this a little while ago after I'd washed it.

You'l probably find out that when it dries out it'll be OK - HOWEVER - as I found out with a little embarrasment, when mine dried out and worked again it tripped the alarm which went off at about 4am one Sunday night.

You may want to check the security of the silicone boot over the switch.

If the switch has failed then replacement is a bit of a pain in that you'll have to take the bumper and slam panel off. The switch slots into the back of the slam-panel and there's also probably a cable tie holding the multiplug in place.

I think I have a spare switch if you need one but in all probability it'll dry out and work OK.

horatiostephen
13th June 2016, 21:42
Tourist thanks my friend... had taken my bumper off few weeks ago do a washer pump.. bu,per didnt line up as good when i replaced it:getmecoat::getmecoat:

Tourist
13th June 2016, 22:00
No problem - yeah, the bumper can be a little tricky to re-align. I've had mine off three times and the final time I got it put back properly and it looks really good now.

If you can, get two people to help you:

Before you re-fit the bumper, carefully remove the two yellow 'Christmas Tree' clips from the insides of the wings and click them into the sockets on the bumper. Don't forget to do up the wiring loom multiplug on the passenger side.

Then as your assistants hold the ends of the bumper and keep them away from the wings (to avoid scratching and make it easier to locate the bumper) slide the top into place so that it locates properly over the headlights. As you're doing that, carefully make sure that the yellow clips slide back fully into the holes in the wings - first one side, then the other. Screw a couple of the 10mm bolts into place on top to hold the bumper in position while you clip the ends into the plastic clips under the wings.

Finally once that's done slacken the two top bolts very slightly and push the bumper as far back and up as you can before clamping it in place.

The rest of the job is pretty straight forward. That's how I did mine the third time and I have to say, having some help getting it into place makes all the difference!

Good luck :-)

fandango151
13th June 2016, 22:16
I changed mine when it was an inch filled with water.

Pulled the plunger out and mangled the grey plastic of it with screw drivers. It was a pig to get the wiring but doable.

Oddly new switch was cheaper from Rimmer's than the bay.

stevenicks
14th June 2016, 06:06
If it's been raining a lot then it's probably just water-logged. Mine did this a little while ago after I'd washed it.

You'l probably find out that when it dries out it'll be OK - HOWEVER - as I found out with a little embarrasment, when mine dried out and worked again it tripped the alarm which went off at about 4am one Sunday night.

You may want to check the security of the silicone boot over the switch.

If the switch has failed then replacement is a bit of a pain in that you'll have to take the bumper and slam panel off. The switch slots into the back of the slam-panel and there's also probably a cable tie holding the multiplug in place.

I think I have a spare switch if you need one but in all probability it'll dry out and work OK.
I took my switch out to dry it after pressure washing the engine, no need to take off the bumper. It can be accessed from behind the slam panal by firstly removing the foam strips :}

Tourist
14th June 2016, 08:40
Hi Steve - indeed I'd heard that was possible but although I could aggle the switch free of the slam panel, there wasn't enough slack in the wires to get it out and disconnect it. In the end for fear of breaking something I relented and took the bumper off.

Maybe it's a project drive thing as mine is a 2004 car - think how much they saved by pinching about 30mm of wire from each car!

:-)

stevenicks
15th June 2016, 07:10
I couldn't agree more with you, another prime example is where the sunroof drain tubes go down behind the glove box and joined together with plastic tape :duh::eek: