PDA

View Full Version : Which brand slave cylinder to buy?

Ravinder
16th June 2016, 13:43
Hi guys

Looking to buy a slave cylinder ASAP as it will be getting done next week. Have heard bad things about the Tazu ones so what do you recommend? Has to be reliable. Many thanks.

Number 6
16th June 2016, 14:46
Hi guys

Looking to buy a slave cylinder ASAP as it will be getting done next week. Have heard bad things about the Tazu ones so what do you recommend? Has to be reliable. Many thanks.

How long has your existing one lasted???

EastPete
16th June 2016, 15:05
Hi guys

There have been issues with Tazu master cylinders (not slaves) - the Mark 2 version seemed to suffer from seal failure after low mileages- the Mark 1 Tazu master cylinder has a generally good reputation (although I am sure some on here will disagree !) - I have a Tazu Mark 1 master on my car for almost 3 years now, and so far so good.

Turning to slaves (since this was your question !) - the all-metal Tazu slave has been around for over a year now, and I think has a fairly good reputation so far. I have one on my car, but it has only done 2,000 miles - no signs of any leaks yet. I think there are cars that have done more than 30,000 on the Tazu slave without issues. So, I would recommend the Tazu metal slave cylinder. The only other one worth considering might be a genuine (not fake copy) LUK plastic slave, but there have been some recent reports of these failing after low mileages.

I hope this helps

Pete

Ravinder
16th June 2016, 16:06
Cheers guys. Well, my car is approaching 200k but I'm unsure if the slave that's in it currently is original or not so unable to confirm. :shrug:

I know that it is gone, however. My master cylinder was replaced just a few months ago for a Tazu one. Not sure if mk1 or mk2. I just pray that it doesn't break! :eek:

EastPete
16th June 2016, 16:12
Cheers guys. Well, my car is approaching 200k but I'm unsure if the slave that's in it currently is original or not so unable to confirm. :shrug:

I know that it is gone, however. My master cylinder was replaced just a few months ago for a Tazu one. Not sure if mk1 or mk2. I just pray that it doesn't break! :eek:

I would guess your new master is the Tazu Mk 1 - the Mk2 was only briefly available, and I think certainly not in the last year or so. If it has the plastic reservoir, then it is a Mk 1.

Pete

Heddy
16th June 2016, 16:14
My Borg & Beck slave lasted 18mths. Replaced around 10 days ago with the metal one, so can't comment. Mk1 master was fitted about 2 yrs ago, and is fine.

Ravinder
16th June 2016, 17:37
So a wood Borg and Beck too, then? I was thinking of just buying one from eBay or Euro car parts but I don't want to buy any old rubbish in case it goes.

Heddy
16th June 2016, 18:48
So a wood Borg and Beck too, then? I was thinking of just buying one from eBay or Euro car parts but I don't want to buy any old rubbish in case it goes.
It's always the case Rav, yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice I'm afraid. I might add that the metal one seemed the same resistance as the plastic one off the car. When fitted, it feels much firmer, the bite is halfway and it does feel a strong one.

EastPete
16th June 2016, 19:11

Don't buy one off e-bay - you really do not know what you are getting. Go to Discount MG Rover spares and get the Tazu metal one, or the genuine LUK. ECP will probably have the LUK one as well, but I am not sure they will stock the metal one.

Are you going to change the clutch pressure/driven plates as well ? In which case, Borg and Beck or LUK are the recommendations.

Pete

Number 6
16th June 2016, 20:18
I have had both Tazu slave and master fitted at different times.The slave has done just over 10 K and the Master just over 7K.

At the moment all is OK so as has been said "You pays your money etc etc

Ravinder
16th June 2016, 20:39
Yes, I'll be getting the clutch done too.

DMGRS does two slave cylinders from what I can see:

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/clutch-transmission-parts/products/genuine-mg-rover-75-zt-metal-slave-cylinder-uub100194t

and also a LUK one.

So, I'll go for the one in the above link?

DMGRS
16th June 2016, 22:21
Definitely wise to go for the Metal Slave. Have replied to your PM. :)

Ravinder
16th June 2016, 22:25
Thanks. Borg and Beck clutch now ordered along with metal slave cylinder.

Now, to hassle Cossie Dunc......:eek::D