PDA

View Full Version : Aerial connector fell off

thegreatdaddo
16th June 2016, 19:02
The aerial connector on the offside rear window of my tourer has parted company with the printed circuit on the glass. Does anyone know of a way to re-attach it? Is an electrically conductive glue available?

tourer
16th June 2016, 19:24
Hi,
Don't wish to hijack the thread, but on the same subject, on the tourer aerial should there be two wires connected to the elements or one?
Mine has two press stud type fixings on the glass but only one wire.
Wondered if this is why my fm reception is perfect but am poor.

thegreatdaddo
16th June 2016, 19:51
My aerial connector was attached to the front stud. The rear one was not attached to anything. That prompts an interesting thought. If I moved the connector to the rear stud, would the elements attached to that stud work as an aerial? Will the lead reach? Has anyone tried it?

Duotone
16th June 2016, 20:14
The aerial connector on the offside rear window of my tourer has parted company with the printed circuit on the glass. Does anyone know of a way to re-attach it? Is an electrically conductive glue available?

I am not sure if anyone has had long term success with conductive glue to secure the aerial connector.

I tried but in the end replaced my load area aerial with a roof mounted aerial.

Hi,
Don't wish to hijack the thread, but on the same subject, on the tourer aerial should there be two wires connected to the elements or one?
Mine has two press stud type fixings on the glass but only one wire.
Wondered if this is why my fm reception is perfect but am poor.

The element connector near the front of the tourer load window is for the diversity system. The rear connector with the larger number of elements is for the standard AM/FM aerial.

You would need one of these to use the diversity system, plus either a Symphony or a Hi Line sat nav system.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l45/newfeather/My%20Radio/2caf9b2a-99d8-4ce6-9109-e004a8f69f1b_zpsjndjql7s.jpg

Dave T

tourer
16th June 2016, 22:30
Many thanks for that, Dave T.
From memory my aerial is connected to the rear connector, so standard am/fm aerial.
Still not sure why am reception poor. Can see no damage to elements and not too keen to risk spoiling roof lining for a station I very rarely listen to.

Burwell Mike
17th June 2016, 07:05
When I bought my ZTT it had the same problem. I found something called "Wire Glue" which worked perfectly. The only problem was maintaining pressure while it set (takes a few hours) I used a bit of wood braced across to the other side. 4 years later it is still attached and excellent radio reception.

I cant remember now if I got it through Amazon or EBay, but I am sure a search for "wire glue" on either will find it.

Mike

Duotone
17th June 2016, 07:18
Here you go.

http://inventorspot.com/articles/wire_glue_solder_replacement_31507

Let us know if it works ok.

Dave T

Burwell Mike
17th June 2016, 07:23
When I bought my ZTT it had the same problem. I found something called "Wire Glue" which worked perfectly. The only problem was maintaining pressure while it set (takes a few hours) I used a bit of wood braced across to the other side. 4 years later it is still attached and excellent radio reception.

I cant remember now if I got it through Amazon or EBay, but I am sure a search for "wire glue" on either will find it.

Mike

This is the one I used

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Conductive-Wire-Glue-Paint-NO-Solder-Soldering-Iron-Gun-UK-SELLER-/281771884502?hash=item419ae9bfd6:g:YHAAAOSwepJXYTf r