PDA

View Full Version : ABS warning light

Swordy
17th June 2016, 19:47
Hi,
Had the front hub replaced after the nut had been left off by the previous owners garage.
New hub unit fitted but the ABS light is still on.
Does it need to be reset with a T4?
Anyone near Essex with one I could visit?
Thanks
Paul

Heddy
17th June 2016, 19:53
Doesn't need a T4. Check the sensor plug, pull it apart and push it back. If light still on you might try a new sensor.
Edit:- just read that the light is still on, meaning it was on before the hub change? If so, it may be 1 of 4 sensors. Other causes are detailed on many threads regarding this.

Best_of_British
17th June 2016, 21:15
I replaced a faulty front hub with one from scrappy as the hub reluctor ring had been damaged by garage drilling out sensor during previous owners tenure. Was gutted at first as the ABS light stayed on, took it for a short drive and ABS light went off and has stayed off.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

klarzy
17th June 2016, 21:33
Should not need to be reset. However it is not necessarily the sensor...

If the light comes on with the ignition and goes out, then comes on when you pull away then the plug, wiring, sensor head or reluctor ring may be at fault.

If it comes on and stays on then the ABS pump / valve, is a favourite

coolcat
18th June 2016, 06:55
Hi Paul,

Before you do anything else, you did have a Navall3 didn't you ?

If so you may need to snip a wire off from the loom which has been found to cause the abs warning light to come on.

I'll post the picture of the offending wire on here when I get to work.

The black wire pointed at in the photo needs to be snipped off the connector :)

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu212/jeff3195/Double%20Din/293481B9-C743-4211-B652-20E5098C5589_zps1m4ihffe.jpg (http://s649.photobucket.com/user/jeff3195/media/Double%20Din/293481B9-C743-4211-B652-20E5098C5589_zps1m4ihffe.jpg.html)

keithst24
18th June 2016, 08:36
I was fitting a dashcam and my abs light was on after... it was just the fuse ... may be worth checking

Keithst24 .....Winnie

HarryM1BYT
18th June 2016, 09:55
Should not need to be reset. However it is not necessarily the sensor...

If the light comes on with the ignition and goes out, then comes on when you pull away then the plug, wiring, sensor head or reluctor ring may be at fault.

If it comes on and stays on then the ABS pump / valve, is a favourite

Are you completely sure on that point?

I call that the first stage diagnostics/ the static stage diagnostics. My understanding is that during that first stage, the basic static operation of the sensor is tested. Unplug a sensor, or fit a faulty one and the light will remain on.

klarzy
18th June 2016, 11:08
If it comes on and goes out Harry then the static test has passed (i.e. the wiring loop is complete to each sensor so plugs etc should be ok).
If the light comes on and stays on then some part is open circuit or ecu / modulator issue
If the light goes out then comes on after pulling away then at least 1 of the ABS sensors is not returning the pulses in line with the others which points to sensor head / Reluctor ring on at least 1 wheel....

Swordy
18th June 2016, 13:46
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies.
Jeff this is my recent addition to the fold. I purchased a cdti tourer :-)

Ok, the o/s/f hub and bearing I just had taken off was completely knackered and wobbling(no hub nut on :eek:)
The magnetic ring had worn off.
ABS light was on.
Replaced with second hand hub unit and sensor from Sean.
Light comes on and stays on. Only moved the car a little forward and back to pump peddle. Not driven it properly yet.
Paul

coolcat
18th June 2016, 16:06
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies.
Jeff this is my recent addition to the fold. I purchased a cdti tourer :-)

Ok, the o/s/f hub and bearing I just had taken off was completely knackered and wobbling(no hub nut on :eek:)
The magnetic ring had worn off.
ABS light was on.
Replaced with second hand hub unit and sensor from Sean.
Light comes on and stays on. Only moved the car a little forward and back to pump peddle. Not driven it properly yet.
Paul

Understood Paul,

I forgot you had bought a new toy;)

HarryM1BYT
18th June 2016, 16:25
If it comes on and goes out Harry then the static test has passed (i.e. the wiring loop is complete to each sensor so plugs etc should be ok).
If the light comes on and stays on then some part is open circuit or ecu / modulator issue
If the light goes out then comes on after pulling away then at least 1 of the ABS sensors is not returning the pulses in line with the others which points to sensor head / Reluctor ring on at least 1 wheel....

That is correct.

Swordy
18th June 2016, 18:19
Thanks everyone, obviously something still isn't right.
The sensor was plugged in but it came with the salvage unit. I still have the original lead.
Can the specific fault be identified with a diagnostic?
Paul

HarryM1BYT
18th June 2016, 19:04
Thanks everyone, obviously something still isn't right.
The sensor was plugged in but it came with the salvage unit. I still have the original lead.
Can the specific fault be identified with a diagnostic?
Paul

I think we need more precise answers...

1. Does the ABS light come on when the ignition is switched on?

2. Does the ABS light then go off a few seconds later?

3. Or does the ABS light just remain on constantly, as from the instant the ignition is turned on?

4. If as in 2 above, does the ABS light come on as soon as you drive the car, then remain on?

The small differences in behaviour are important in diagnosing what might be wrong.

You might find it useful to get an ABS plug and socket, from your scrapyard, with a short bit of cable attached to each. Connected back to back - Along with a 3 way choc block connector, they will allow you to make a 'break out' of the cables for further diagnostics.

Heddy
18th June 2016, 19:15
You can get it hooked up and have the faults cleared, then switch on and see if it self tests ok. If if does, drive a few yards/miles until the fault shows again. Re-diagnose and note which wheel is showing the fault. If it doesn't self test then see previous posts.

Mike Noc
18th June 2016, 19:46
If the light comes on and stays on then some part is open circuit or ecu / modulator issue.

Is that always the case Pete? I had a fault once and the light stayed on until I drove a few yards down the road, and then it reset.

It was a few years ago though and I can't remember what the fault was or what I replaced. :duh:

But I do remember thinking that I hadn't sorted it when the light didn't go out straight away.

HarryM1BYT
18th June 2016, 20:38
Is that always the case Pete? I had a fault once and the light stayed on until I drove a few yards down the road, and then it reset.

It was a few years ago though and I can't remember what the fault was or what I replaced. :duh:

But I do remember thinking that I hadn't sorted it when the light didn't go out straight away.

Correct, if the light comes on due to a fault - I understand it can need a bit of distance once the fault has been cleared, for the ABS system to accept the fault is cleared and for the light to go back to normal.

Swordy
18th June 2016, 20:56
The light stays on from ignition and start up. Then message centre displays ABS fault and goes off but display light stays on.
But I haven't driven it properly since the repair

HarryM1BYT
18th June 2016, 21:15
The light stays on from ignition and start up. Then message centre displays ABS fault and goes off but display light stays on.
But I haven't driven it properly since the repair

Can you perhaps try a few start stops and short drives, to see if it does go off?

Dragrad
19th June 2016, 02:05
Thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old. This may be the better forum as threads get ‘lost’ very quickly in the General Forum. ;)