PDA

View Full Version : V6 blown coil pack

EmGee
18th June 2016, 12:01
Hi all,
I'm a new ZT owner although I've had a TF for a number of years so I'm well used to the challenges of owning one of these cars.
So, no surprise when the new purchase (MG ZT-T V6 SE) decides to strand my wife at ASDA. Turns out that one of the coil packs has blown and I'm not getting any pulses to the ignition system.
OBD shows camshaft sensor issue so I'm hoping that's why it won't start but puzzled as to why the coil pack should let loose.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers
Iain.:shrug:

DMGRS
18th June 2016, 20:29
The coil packs do fail occasionally - had to change two in my last 75 V6, and one in my ZS180.
We have them here - https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/electrical-electronic-parts/products/v6-coil-pack-nec000070-nec000110-rover-45-75-mg-zs-180-zt-late-type

Mike Noc
18th June 2016, 21:29
Don't know if the V6's are the same, but had a coil blow on our Rover 25 K Series, and it was due to a shorting control wire from the coil to the ECU. The insulation had rubbed away on a sharp bracket corner.

EmGee
19th June 2016, 17:35
OK,thanks for that.
I've managed to source one locally so hopefully just a coincidence that this failed at the same time as the camshaft sensor. Watch this space...

EmGee
21st June 2016, 07:12
OK,thanks for that.
I've managed to source one locally so hopefully just a coincidence that this failed at the same time as the camshaft sensor. Watch this space...

Update -
Phone call from my local supplier yesterday - "Just to let you know, that's your wheel bearing arrived."
Wheel bearing? Don't you mean camshaft sensor? :duh::duh:

EmGee
5th August 2016, 14:28
Update -
New coil pack and camshaft sensor resolved this. The camshaft sensor has to be ordered with a cable (which I didn't initially realise) as the OEM part has this moulded onto the sensor.
Wife now back from Asda and all is well, especially the fridge.