PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start/Starter motor seems ok?

tintin
18th June 2016, 19:19
Hello out there, I'm after some help with regards to my 2.0 diesel 2004 Zt tourer.

Car ran fine this morning, but this afternoon refused to start? please see below for symptoms and what I have already checked.

-All lights on dash come on as normal, no extra warning lights are present

-fuel pump is running fine

-No audible sounds at all including clicking coming from the starter motor (engine not turning over). All terminal connections are fine on the starter and battery terminals.

-Battery is showing 12.6 volts

-Earth lead to starter motor and bodywork appears intact and serviceable

-I have tried the spare key also and this doesn't work

-Power is getting down to the starter motor ok, and when a spare piece of wire was connected to the spade clip tang directly, the starter motor
"span up"

- with a multimeter connected to the spade clip tang (whilst connected) and a 2nd person attempting to start the car there was no voltage present?

-Putting the multimeter lead into the plug side of the spade clip there shows about 5.6volts fluctuating not steady voltage (even with the ignition off)

Is this pointing towards an immobiliser problem or could it still be the starter motor???

Hope someone can help please, all opinions appreciated

Regards,
T

RPWC
18th June 2016, 20:10
Sounds like there could be a break in the wiring on the spade connector,try a voltage test further up the wire and see what results it brings.
Contact Marinabrian,Phil-T4, Mike Noc, Big Russ, to name just a few who are wizards with electrical problems.

tintin
19th June 2016, 11:49
Thanks for the info Rich,

Just an update,

I have just had the multimeter connected to the ignition switch and connected to the red and white wire number 8 which initiates the crank/start, and with the plug connected I did get 12v to that wire when the key was turned to the start position. I guess that proves that the ignition barrel and switch are doing what they should be?

Where does the starting sequence go next??? Immobiliser?

Regards,
T

Mike Noc
19th June 2016, 18:54
Contact Marinabrian,Phil-T4, Mike Noc, Big Russ, to name just a few who are wizards with electrical problems.

Rich I feel flattered and surprised to be included in the list of true electrical problem wizards (:bowdown:) but I have sent a PM or two to the OP. :}

tintin
14th July 2016, 20:40
Car all sorted now,
Thanks for the help Big Russ and Mike Noc

Regards,
Tintin

Ken Lion
14th July 2016, 22:30
You can't leave us hanging like that!:eek:
What was the solution?