PDA

View Full Version : Howling from heater

mioren
19th June 2016, 06:34
:eek: Hi you all! does any one know why? sometimes when heater is auto selected "L" and in traffic queue, their comes a loud howl ascending from within the heater after a few seconds it descends to normal...
then after a wee while, and still in traffic queue it repeats itself!

On selecting power level button "taking it of auto" no problem!
Temperature gauge reading normal! :shrug:

Rover 2000 TDI SE Club...

Thanks.

KeithA
19th June 2016, 07:19
Almost certainly your air conditioning system is overheating because your low speed fan is not working. With the car stationery press the demist button and look through the grill, is the fan spinning? It should be. Lots of info on here, search 'demist test'

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Mickyboy
19th June 2016, 08:57
Guaranteed to be the low speed fan is faulty hence, you're getting an aircraft sound noise from the fan as it spins real fast to try to cool down the compressor,
Usual checks push the Demist button as advised look in the front grill to see if the fans spins ,which it probably won't, then check at the 2oclock position on the fan through the grill to see if you have a silver resistor, if not you probably have a three speed fan.

Personally I wouldn't use the air-conditioning in traffic while the low speed fan is not working, you may get away with using the air-conditioning when the vehicle is travelling at a speed of approximately 40/50 mph as the air flow will be helping to call down the compressor but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Also I wouldn't suggest towing anything up a hill on a hot day, you could overheat,
Hope that helps Mick

SD1too
19th June 2016, 11:57
... to cool down the compressor ... the air flow will be helping to call down the compressor ...
Mick and everyone,

Just to avoid any possible confusion, the fan cools the refrigerant passing through the condenser, not the compressor.

The compressor is placed immediately before the condenser and it's job is to raise the temperature and pressure of the refrigerant. If you carefully touch the compressor's discharge pipe it should be too hot to handle. That is normal.

I agree with the diagnoses above; check your fan's slow speed and report back for details of solutions.

Simon

mioren
20th June 2016, 02:44
Mick and everyone,

Just to avoid any possible confusion, the fan cools the refrigerant passing through the condenser, not the compressor.

The compressor is placed immediately before the condenser and it's job is to raise the temperature and pressure of the refrigerant. If you carefully touch the compressor's discharge pipe it should be too hot to handle. That is normal.

I agree with the diagnoses above; check your fan's slow speed and report back for details of solutions.

Simon
Thanks guys, I'll have a "whirl" at that...the other thing! ...
Is the Webasto linked? as even in the current temperature it makes a guffing sound on engine shut down.
I have the 2 plugs disconnected, as it is felt it may drain the battery if car is left for a few days!!