PDA

View Full Version : Braking worries - Front end judder

Hucklebury
20th June 2016, 10:16
Hi Everyone, at 40mph and above my old girl shudders when braking, below this speed it does'nt. She is a 2001 75 cdt with 90,000 on the clock, rear discs were replaced at 76,000, local garage suggest its the ABS kicking in. Any comments would be appreciated.

Greeners
20th June 2016, 12:51
a shudder sounds more like a warped disc or even a stuck pad / piston. First pot of call would be a visual inspection of the braking system at each corner

first-things-first
20th June 2016, 13:48
As David says. Plus, if you have the tools and expertise, you can take the caliper off, clean it up of dust and grime, then grease sliding pins and re-copper slip pads.

Did wonders for my front pads - noticed they were very hot after a short trip (not heavy braking). Now noticeably cooler - although still quite warm - can't beat thermodynamics. ;)

More benefits are the braking action is smoother and has lost the squeak it had when stopping.

Mickyboy
20th June 2016, 14:10
Sounds like possible disc warp, another thing you could try is take the car for a short drive on return put a thick glove on and gently feel the disc one disk my feel a lot hotter than the other desk if it's got a sticky piston jamming the pads against the disc it's going to be hot.

I often find that the guide pins on the caliper have a lot of wearing on them when you remove them you can actually see it where they've probably not been lubricated,

Most garages would be quite happy to put the car on the rollers and test the brakes for you some machines will identify break Judder.

It will also show brake balance %
Hope that helps mate

clf
20th June 2016, 14:42
I always thought a warped disc would undulate in slow braking. A shudder at speed I would suggest a loose disc or loose mounts. If shudder is felt through the car, loose suspension mounts, if through the pedal, loose braking components

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hucklebury
20th June 2016, 20:47
Thanks guys, I appreciate all your comments and suggestions, I think I will have it checked at a garage, octogenarians have no trouble getting down its' the getting up that beats us.

Hucklebury
2nd July 2016, 15:55
:} Many thanks to all who replied to my querry on front judder when breaking at speed, took your advice and had it checked, turned out that one, yes one disc had warped, so new discs, pads and bingo, smooth braking again, never will understand why discs do this, never had this on my old 800 or 414.

Alan123
2nd July 2016, 16:06
:} Many thanks to all who replied to my querry on front judder when breaking at speed, took your advice and had it checked, turned out that one, yes one disc had warped, so new discs, pads and bingo, smooth braking again, never will understand why discs do this, never had this on my old 800 or 414.

I think it heat related. Also the materials they use to make them isn't what it use to be.

jonathan63
2nd July 2016, 17:55
I've read that keeping your foot on the brakes for longish periods after coming to a stop, especially after hard braking, causes the warping. The brake pads hold the heat in a localised spot while the remainder of the disc is allowed to cool.

Dragrad
3rd July 2016, 00:12
Threads merged as they are related.;)

Had the same thing happen to me and had to change the front discs.... Now when I come to a stop, I park the car, being an auto ;)

peelaaa
4th July 2016, 21:53
When my car was juddering when braking, it was the rear discs at fault. Id check them as well