PDA

View Full Version : CDT fuel cooler - Advice please!

Falcon Flyer
20th June 2016, 11:12
Hi all.

Looks like my MK1 CDTi needs a replacement fuel cooler, (the one behind the offside rear wheel).

It looks like there are two part numbers, one pre-facelift, and one post-facelift.

I've found a brand new post-facelift cooler. The question is, how do these two parts differ, and is the later cooler compatible (with or without modification) to my MK1 car?

Thanks!

suffolk boy
20th June 2016, 11:47
i belive the cooler itself is the same just the pipe work differs

klarzy
20th June 2016, 11:48
whats the problem??

Greeners
20th June 2016, 11:48
It's probably the difference between a single and dual pump system, and the return from the engine into the tank

Rick-sta
20th June 2016, 11:56
It's probably the difference between a single and dual pump system, and the return from the engine into the tank

That's what I was thinking :)

Whats the issue with the cooler James? If it's leaking its usually from one of the fuel pipes rather than the cooler itself. :)

klarzy
20th June 2016, 11:57
if it's the black thermo valve that's leaking, get a land rover one from ebay or a breakers separately and fit it (about 20 quid)

Falcon Flyer
20th June 2016, 12:05
To be honest, nothing is wrong with it.....yet.....

It seems the whole unit is badly corroded, with the cooling fins disintegrating (In a similar way to the A/C condenser on our cars), and its something thats been on the back of my mind for a while. I've been offered a brand new one so was going to change the unit before actually fails.....

I haven't actually seen the new unit and therefore to be able to compare the units side-by-side, thus the question posed by me on here.

Falcon Flyer
20th June 2016, 19:38
Sort of answering my own question I guess, but after looking at ebay, the MK1 coolers are a four pipe arrangement, and the MK2 cars appear to have a two pipe arrangement. I'm guessing that these changes coincide with the double or single fuel pump cars.

Mickyboy
20th June 2016, 20:00
Sort of answering my own question I guess, but after looking at ebay, the MK1 coolers are a four pipe arrangement, and the MK2 cars appear to have a two pipe arrangement. I'm guessing that these changes coincide with the double or single fuel pump cars.

Some mk2 cars have two(2) pumps both mine do, and plenty that I have dismantled did too

paulf
20th June 2016, 21:22
Mine sprung a leak a couple of years ago and as it is a high milage car I didnt want to spend a lot on it so bypassed it as it was winter time.I never got around to replacing it and have driven in all traffic and weather conditions with no ill effects.To be honest the return pipes never get very warm even in the summer.
Paul

klarzy
20th June 2016, 22:05
Mine sprung a leak a couple of years ago and as it is a high milage car I didnt want to spend a lot on it so bypassed it as it was winter time.I never got around to replacing it and have driven in all traffic and weather conditions with no ill effects.To be honest the return pipes never get very warm even in the summer.
Paul

You are running the risk of condense in your fuel though....

190tosh
3rd April 2019, 22:23
Hi is it a difficult job to bypass it thanks

Mike Noc
3rd April 2019, 23:28
Bit of info here (https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=172055) on the earlier LP fuel side: