PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75/MG ZT Auto Gear Knob - Rod Removal

Gold MGF Gaz
20th June 2016, 11:41
Hi,

I have a spare chrome/leather gear knob for the Rover 75/ZT & was looking at this whilst I was sat in my MGF Auto. The knob iutself is identical to the one fitted to the F so I thought swapping them over was a simple job. I thought the chrome would look good in my F - better than silver plastic trim anyway :D

Then i discover the internal rod length on the 2 are different; the 75 one is longer, although the ends are identical. I'm sure I read somewhere someone had bought a wood effect BMW one for their R75 & simply swapped the internal rods over.

Can anyone tell me how to do this???:shrug:

Thank you in advance

Gary

clf
20th June 2016, 12:28
Hi,

I have a spare chrome/leather gear knob for the Rover 75/ZT & was looking at this whilst I was sat in my MGF Auto. The knob iutself is identical to the one fitted to the F so I thought swapping them over was a simple job. I thought the chrome would look good in my F - better than silver plastic trim anyway :D

Then i discover the internal rod length on the 2 are different; the 75 one is longer, although the ends are identical. I'm sure I read somewhere someone had bought a wood effect BMW one for their R75 & simply swapped the internal rods over.

Can anyone tell me how to do this???:shrug:

Thank you in advance

Gary
There is a how to somewhere in the forums with images , however a flat blade below the button, and pull it forward should allow you to release it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Gold MGF Gaz
20th June 2016, 12:45
[QUOTE=clf;2314262]There is a how to somewhere in the forums with images , however a flat blade below the button, and pull it forward should allow you to release it

Hi,

Thank you very much for this :} I did have a look in the forum, but am new to this & searching & searching I couldnt find anything. Do you have any tips for the reassembly??? Thanks to your top advice I now have the 75 gear knob in 3 pieces, ready to do the same to the MGF one.

Regards

Gary

clf
20th June 2016, 13:03
[QUOTE=clf;2314262]There is a how to somewhere in the forums with images , however a flat blade below the button, and pull it forward should allow you to release it

Hi,

Thank you very much for this :} I did have a look in the forum, but am new to this & searching & searching I couldnt find anything. Do you have any tips for the reassembly??? Thanks to your top advice I now have the 75 gear knob in 3 pieces, ready to do the same to the MGF one.

Regards

Gary
Patience Lol. It actually goes back together quite easily, and simply a reversal of dismantling. Just prise the button in after lining up the hold in the shaft, and it will all snap together.

AWD/Alba
20th October 2016, 13:59
Hi.
Just got a BMW E39 auto knob for my 75. Any reason why I can't remove and replace the knob in "situ?" Having great difficulty in removing the whole rod from the tube it seems to slide into. If it cannot be done then the fulcrum method will be used. (Sounds like family planning)