PDA

View Full Version : Osram Nightbreaker - Osram reply

PMAN01
20th June 2016, 20:40
Hello all,

My headlights were a bit opaque due to years of sunlight (I live in the UK oddly enough) so I tried the cheapest(?) solution of getting 'brighter' bulbs. I bought a pair of Osram Nightbrakers H7 and found them to brighten up the roads a little bit more than usual which was good. What wasn't good was that after 3 months one blew. I got in touch with Osram who requested I send the bulbs to them which I duly did. They got back to me with a pair of new bulbs but not for the reason I thought. The wording on the form I got back was "No manufacturing faults were found on returned bulb, but analysis of the filament showed that a supply voltage above the standard of 13.2V has probably caused the early faulure. 'Good will' Night Breaker Unlimited replacement bulbs are enclosed". Is this because the alternator regulator isn't performing properly I wonder? I've since gone down the route of getting a headlight restoration kit and sorting them properly; they look fabulous now! I won't use the 'expensive' Osram bulbs until the supply voltage query is resolved. Any ideas folks?

klarzy
20th June 2016, 20:42
Hello all,

My headlights were a bit opaque due to years of sunlight (I live in the UK oddly enough) so I tried the cheapest(?) solution of getting 'brighter' bulbs. I bought a pair of Osram Nightbrakers H7 and found them to brighten up the roads a little bit more than usual which was good. What wasn't good was that after 3 months one blew. I got in touch with Osram who requested I send the bulbs to them which I duly did. They got back to me with a pair of new bulbs but not for the reason I thought. The wording on the form I got back was "No manufacturing faults were found on returned bulb, but analysis of the filament showed that a supply voltage above the standard of 13.2V has probably caused the early faulure. 'Good will' Night Breaker Unlimited replacement bulbs are enclosed". Is this because the alternator regulator isn't performing properly I wonder? I've since gone down the route of getting a headlight restoration kit and sorting them properly; they look fabulous now! I won't use the 'expensive' Osram bulbs until the supply voltage query is resolved. Any ideas folks?

Most of the dizzies I have tested have 14+ volts on a running engine...

paulf
20th June 2016, 21:07
I had them fitted some time ago and both blew on the same day within 20 miles of each other leaving me with no dipped beam on a dark foggy night. I drove home on a mixture of front fogs and mainbeam and replaced them with cheap standard bulbs and had no problems since.I didnt really think they made much difference either.
Paul

barney bear
21st June 2016, 05:17
I had them in my standard headlights and they lasted about 10 months, I found the light output was better than standard but it was the colour of the light I fitted them for. Now Klarzy has replied I understand why they don't really last long:duh:

I've got Xenons now, much much much better light output:D

murphyv310
21st June 2016, 07:28
Hi.
I would suggest you check the voltage on the bulb itself with the engine running over 1500 rpm.
The voltage you get at the battery will always be above what is directly at the bulb due to losses in the LSM and cabling.
Just might be an idea to do this and if at 13.2v or below take a photo for future reference for Osram.
If the actual voltage at the battery with the engine running rises above 14.4v then you have a regulation problem in the charging circuit which will need attention.

Sector-9
21st June 2016, 09:50
Car 12V systems charge at a nominal 14.4V (though has been said, the voltage at the bulb may be lower, especially as the LSM uses PWM on some circuits). The problem with all these 'high-performance' bulbs is that to get the extra light output they burn hotter, which gives a shorter life. Ergo those long-life bulbs burn a little cooler and give less light output.

I've got the Nightbreakers in my main beam, and some Philips long life ones for dipped beam, so I'm hoping I won't need to replace them again under my ownership.

andre372
21st June 2016, 09:53
I've used the same Osram Night Breakers, or were they the Unlimited version... Anyway, they both blew in 3 months time, not at once but very close to each other.
You would expect these to have a shorter lifespan as the filament is thinner to achieve greater brightness, indicates that on the package, too, IIRC.

I didn't notice any difference in brightness etc with my standard reflector headlights so never even crossed my mind to buy new ones.

klarzy
21st June 2016, 11:33
That's why I love xenons, no filaments to damage

Yella Fella
21st June 2016, 11:49
Drive around for a while with the voltage displayed on your dash. This will show the fluctuations and if you have alternator problems?

Menu 9;

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=479038&postcount=1

Heddy
21st June 2016, 15:06
Thanks for posting. I changed a bulb for the first time today. (with the projectors anyway) I've toyed with the idea of upgraded bulbs but the light output seems ample with the std bulbs. Gonna stick to std after reading this thread. As an aside, after 10 mins faffing I decided to whip off the bumper, far easier. I wouldn't have done that without the help of members posts, have done it before now so 10 mins work. :shrug:

hinged_bap
21st June 2016, 17:45
my nightbreakers used to fail regularly. I thought it was a highly strung bulb and just accepted it. However, I was forced to fit a new alternator regulator after the brushes went in mine. After fitting this, not only did i notice the bulbs stayed a constant brightness on increased rpm, i haven't had one go yet.

SCP440
21st June 2016, 18:36
It is a well known problem that they don't last, I have seen some go in a few months but 12 months is more common.

There light output is a lot better but I suspect they have had to tweak the insides to get them to do this legally and this is whey they are so fragile.

DMGRS
22nd June 2016, 23:17
My ZTT used to lunch it's way through many tail light bulbs - no idea why just those, but it was also resolved with a new regulator.

It's worth checking your voltages through the IPK diagnostics. If they're a bit iffy, a new regulator is cheap enough:
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/electrical-electronic-parts/products/rover-75-mg-zt-cdti-alternator-regulator-and-brush-kit-fits-yle000260-and-yle102500

Plezier
5th July 2016, 09:20
I find this odd as have 5 cars with Osram Nightbreakers fitted and none of them have as yet blown the 5 are :-

MGF 75th Anniversary
MGF MPi (97)
MGF VVC (97)
Rover 623
Rover 75

The 75 had some dreadful blueish things that were really bright but gave no defined dip and were next to useless. Changing to the Nightbreakers meant that driving at night was no longer dreaded due to not beign able to see more tha 30 feet in front of the car. Thse blueish things may have looked "Cool" and be ok in a city enviroment but out here were useless.

kbonney88
5th July 2016, 09:37
I too have to say that the nightbreaker plus's I have fitted to all my 75's have been totally reliable too. I think I have replaced 2 bulbs in 4 years.. I will be fitting them to my latest acquisition too.. :)

bl52krz
8th July 2016, 21:39
I have had nightbreakers since they came out. Still working.

Kh44nn
8th July 2016, 22:04
I've used the same Osram Night Breakers, or were they the Unlimited version... Anyway, they both blew in 3 months time, not at once but very close to each other.

You would expect these to have a shorter lifespan as the filament is thinner to achieve greater brightness, indicates that on the package, too, IIRC.

I didn't notice any difference in brightness etc with my standard reflector headlights so never even crossed my mind to buy new ones.

Yeah same story here. I thought they would last longer with the advantage of better lighting. Mine blew in 5weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk