PDA

View Full Version : ZTT diesel Inhibit or not to inhibit

Greenman
22nd June 2016, 20:42
Since disconnecting my battery for 48 hrs to repair the starter motor contacts I have an inhibit issue
It is pretty random, but every now and then the car cranks and does not fire. I can hear the tank pump but the main underbonnet pump is silent.
There appears no pattern or reason
E.g. Last Sunday started car, drove to town, picked up daughter, went to Sainsbury, Shut down the engine, locked it went shopping, came back, started, went to petrol station, stopped engine did not lock car, started ok. Went to topps tiles shut down engine, locked car, bought tiles came out, Cranked but would not start. Tried 6-8 times. no go. Called green flag. Waited for 10 mins, last try and Bingo. Started normally.
Has been fine now every day to work, sit in the car lunchtime, back home, no problems
I should add that the other key does not work either.
I should be very gratefull if someone can shed some light on
Thank you I advance
If it can be sorted I'll keep the car and sort the excess smoke and the rotating rear light fixings and busted drivers window switch.
If not I'm not sure I could sell it to someone ( as it was sold to me)
Richard

klarzy
22nd June 2016, 20:44
Since disconnecting my battery for 48 hrs to repair the starter motor contacts I have an inhibit issue
It is pretty random, but every now and then the car cranks and does not fire. I can hear the tank pump but the main underbonnet pump is silent.
E.g. Last Sunday started car, drove to town, picked up daughter, went to Sainsbury, Shut down the engine, locked it went shopping, came back, started, went to petrol station, stopped engine did not lock car, started ok. Went to topps tiles shut down engine, locked car, bought tiles came out, Cranked but would not start. Tried 6-8 times. no go. Called green flag. Waited for 10 mins, last try and Bingo. Started normally.
Has been fine now every day to work, sit in the car lunchtime, back home, no problems
Thank you I advance
If it can be sorted I'll keep the car and sort the excess smoke and the rotating rear light fixings and busted drivers window switch.
Richard

Have you checked your ECU for water / signs of damp????

johnnyb44
22nd June 2016, 20:57
Does the car only play up when its fully warmed up. If so it could be the cam sensor. These can cause hot starting issues.
Johnny

marinabrian
22nd June 2016, 22:06
Richard, your car has had an "ECU set" fitted in the past, probably to sort out previous water ingress ;)

I would check the plenum chamber and see if there is any standing water in there, also see if there is a tide mark on the pollen filter, which is a dead giveaway.........

If you find the ECM has been wet, or indeed is wet, let me know as I can sort these things out at a reasonable price :)

Sometimes (if you're lucky) you find on cars which have had this type of "fix" done in the past, that the original immobiliser is still bolted to the A pillar behind the light switch module.

Have a look and let us know what you find ;)

Brian :D

Thank you I advance
Richard

Greenman
23rd June 2016, 16:55
Thanks for the info Brian.
What is an ECU set and how do you know my car's had one.
I have poor performance and excess smoke too, has had 160 remap.
Very poor in comparison to my Synergy 75 CDTi

marinabrian
23rd June 2016, 21:15
Thanks for the info Brian.
What is an ECU set and how do you know my car's had one.
I have poor performance and excess smoke too, has had 160 remap.
Very poor in comparison to my Synergy 75 CDTi

Hmm, a 160 upgrade you say? was this performed while you owned the car, and if so by whom, or was this before your ownership.

What I mean by ECU set, are the engine ECM, the immobiliser, and a key transponder.

The reason behind my suspicions about your car having had an ECU set from another car, is the fact only one of your keys work ;)

Brian :D

Greenman
24th June 2016, 17:04
Hi Brian, I've looked through all the history etc I was given, nothing about a remap . Prev owner says it was done in 2012 when he first got it.
One correction. BOTH keys were working before the battery disconnect event, I'd moved to the spare as the main key was showing signs of wear with the MG badge sticking in. But its the spare that now doesn't work, I'm back to the older sticking key
Had a quick squint at the plenum. Someones done the spyhole on the LH side. All dry, no tidemark and it poured with rain today
If you've got any suggestions I'd be most grateful
Richard
PS I was interested in the posts on synergy v remap and your suggestions re MAF replacement. are the BMW maf's still available

cb750chris
24th June 2016, 18:13
Perhaps stating the obvious...
But if the in-tank pump is working and the underbonnet pump is silent, does this not suggest a dying underbonnet pump, with the car not starting due to insufficient fuel pressure?

If you are ever over this was, feel free free to give me a shout and we can have a look at your car on the T4.
Chris