PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension

Daveluck
23rd June 2016, 08:30
Hi, what's the best way to test the suspension?

I only ask as the ride seems quite harsh. I have replaced complete struts at the front. However when we go over humps / sleeping policeman I sometime really feel the jolt in my seat.

I've tried pushing down on the rear and the suspension feels quite stiff. There is movement but not much and there is no bouncing / rebound.

Thanks

Dave

T-Cut
23rd June 2016, 17:27
Have you examined the rear springs? They are known to fracture and it can go unnoticed unless given a thorough checkover.

TC

Daveluck
23rd June 2016, 21:53
Have you examined the rear springs? They are known to fracture and it can go unnoticed unless given a thorough checkover.

TC

What's the best way for that? Jack up and climb underneath? Is it worth taking off the wheels etc for better access?

Just seen your PM re compensator. Other commitments pending looking to strip the handbrake down to see what the damage is and I'll get back to you.

Jim Jamieson
23rd June 2016, 22:10
The best way to check for broken rear springs is to remove the wheel.
You can then see right down into the cup of the upper arm where the spring always breaks around the bottom coil.

I reckon MOT testers would require a mirror to see any broken springs when viewed when the car was on a ramp.

One of my 75's passed three tests with a broken rear spring unnoticed.

Kennyeth
24th June 2016, 08:14
The best way to check for broken rear springs is to remove the wheel.
You can then see right down into the cup of the upper arm where the spring always breaks around the bottom coil.

I reckon MOT testers would require a mirror to see any broken springs when viewed when the car was on a ramp.

One of my 75's passed three tests with a broken rear spring unnoticed.

I`l tell you why they were missed.....testers are not permitted/required to grope about in the base/cup with their fingers.
Ken.

T-Cut
24th June 2016, 10:46
Just seen your PM re compensator. - - - -

From someone else I think.

TC

Daveluck
24th June 2016, 15:06
From someone else I think.

TC

Lol yeah you're right. That was from Artic:duh:

Daveluck
11th July 2016, 14:11
OK then, so the springs look fine. I can see and feel no cracks.

Sorry for the questions but I don't really know that much about suspensions.

The ride is very harsh. Sometimes your bum leaves the seat on only little bumps.

When I push down on the back it feels very stiff and rises very slowly.

What I mean by that is, if I open the boot, sit on the edge, bounce up and down, then walk round to the side I can watch the car rise for a second or 2.

I've no idea if that is normal or not.

Any suggestions

chris75
11th July 2016, 16:58
The rebound is controlled by the shock absorbers . Sounds like the rear shockers are next on your list :}

barney bear
11th July 2016, 17:15
Our car passed a couple of MOTs with broken rear springs, I only noticed them myself when I was checking the rear arms for corrosion. If the car is rising that slowly I'd be replacing the shocks, and having a proper look over every coil of the rear springs, one of ours was broken at the top and the other at the bottom so It's not always the same place they break.

Daveluck
11th July 2016, 22:48
The rebound is controlled by the shock absorbers . Sounds like the rear shockers are next on your list :}

Ordered a pair of Monroe rear dampners for 100€ delivered!to my door.

Doesn't look too bad a job...

Coups
11th July 2016, 23:04
Ordered a pair of Monroe rear dampners for 100€ delivered!to my door.

Doesn't look too bad a job...

I've Monroe on mine. Made a real noticeable difference. But mine had been really wallowy, bottoming out and generally feeling 'loose'. Great for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMGRS
11th July 2016, 23:10
Good on you for fitting decent items - Monroe kit is top notch.
Dead (and I mean dead!) rear shock absorbers on my first ZT-T caused a similar feeling - the car just didn't 'settle' well after any kind of road undulation or speed hump.

Daveluck
15th July 2016, 16:34
Rear dampners turned up today. Stripped and fitted both in around 2 hours. A very enjoyable job to do, nice and straight forward.

Both dampeners were kaput. Pushed them in and neither returned. One sprayed oil everywhere, so well past their time.

Got an extra 10 - 15 mm ride height.

Driving is unbelievably better. The ride is definatley quieter inside the cabin, my bum doesn't leave the seat going over bumps and my kidneys are not taking a pounding.

I've also lost what I called my ' ghost knock '. Each time I went over a bump I got this very light secondary knock...but its gone!

However, got back and the big fat red man was back!! But I've had new seats fitted so needed to clean the contacts on the airbag connectors. Did both in under 15 minutes and now no more fat man.

So, I think the old girl is ready for her first mot. Need to get that booked in.