PDA

View Full Version : My MG's cooler fan went crazy.

KingKong in the North
24th June 2016, 06:36
Hi. This is my first post here, so please be gentle if this is a dumb question.
When I bought my MG it had this annoying sound with the AC on coming from the compressor, I went ahead and changed the fan resistor but the noise still remained, altough I think it worked quietly far longer than before.
I took the car to the AC service and learned that the system had only about 140 grams of juice in it.
They filled it up and the compressor sound went away but after the operation my cooling fan went full throttle. If I turn the AC off it shuts down.
A buddy of mine who works with cars says it's possible that it's supposed to be like that but I refuse to believe that this car is supposed to sound like a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- fighter jet when the outside temperature hits 22 Celsius.

Bonus question: What gear oil should I use with this one? It has 140000 km's and the service book says the gear oil has never been changed.

The car is an MG ZT-T 190.

RogerHeinz57
24th June 2016, 07:08
Hi.
Cooling fans are not my Forte, but some do become quite noisy as they age.

Assuming you have the right transmission unit for a 190 (Manual), the oil used for these is MTF 94. This sometimes can be a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- to get hold of, and if this is the case, your local Land Rover dealership would normally stock this as it has been used by them for some models for some time. Expect to pay £9 to £12 per litre.
If you have an auto, I am unsure of the fluid used, but there is a how to on here, failing this - A T-4 Dude will be able to do this 100% right using the dedicated MGR procedure.

Hope this helps.
The Cardinal.

KingKong in the North
24th June 2016, 07:45
Hi.
Cooling fans are not my Forte, but some do become quite noisy as they age.

Assuming you have the right transmission unit for a 190 (Manual), the oil used for these is MTF 94. This sometimes can be a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- to get hold of, and if this is the case, your local Land Rover dealership would normally stock this as it has been used by them for some models for some time. Expect to pay £9 to £12 per litre.
If you have an auto, I am unsure of the fluid used, but there is a how to on here, failing this - A T-4 Dude will be able to do this 100% right using the dedicated MGR procedure.

Hope this helps.
The Cardinal.

Thanks John, my car is indeed a manual.
I went to my local car parts shop the other day.
There was this kid who looked like he was 12. He had never even heard of this car brand but said I should buy this super expensive red line oil then he went ahead and tried tried to sell me some other stuff that was about a quarter of the prize.
My "local" Rover dealer is in Vantaa, which is about 700 kilometers from here.
British cars aren't popular in Finland because historically they don't usually do well in our climate, so there aren't a whole lot of Rover experts here.

neilll
24th June 2016, 08:14
Looks like your having a heatwave in Lapland at the moment, average June temperature is 0 degrees C!!!

KingKong in the North
24th June 2016, 08:21
Looks like your having a heatwave in Lapland at the moment, average June temperature is 0 degrees C!!!
Well that's definitely not true. Summers in Lapland are quite warm.
Right now the sun doesn't even set, so it's daylight non stop.
Summer days usually here in the southwest Lapland are about 15-25 C but can get as hot as 30C.

Georgies Dad
24th June 2016, 08:45
Right now the sun doesn't even set, so it's daylight non stop.
At least you do not have to worry about the lights:D

T-Cut
24th June 2016, 10:43
They filled it up [with refrigerant] and the compressor sound went away but after the operation my cooling fan went full throttle. If I turn the AC off it shuts down.

It sounds like aircon system over-pressurisation. My first suggestion is to check the condition of the condenser. The fins on the cooling matrix are prone to corrosion and become detached. They flake off when touched. The front bumper has to be taken off to check the matrix.

TC

NickAX54
24th June 2016, 16:23
Mine was on full with the air con, replaced the condenser. That fixed it
Nick

Organiser
24th June 2016, 18:59
Toni,

Go into the Traders section of the forum and find the Jules' Shop section, you will find in there all the problems that happen to the aircon system and what you need to fix it.

Tom.

KingKong in the North
28th June 2016, 19:15
Toni,

Go into the Traders section of the forum and find the Jules' Shop section, you will find in there all the problems that happen to the aircon system and what you need to fix it.

Tom.

Thanks Organizer.
Someone just came by and offered me 2500€'s in exchange for the car and I get a 2001 BMW 320.
I like BMW's but I like this car too.
However I like money more, so sadly my MG ownership career was short.
If the BMW is solid I'm going to take the offer.