PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 Fuel Pump Problems

Johan
25th June 2016, 04:46
Hi Last week after I refuelled my Rover 75 Conn 2.5 V6 (2001) I detected a strong petrol smell in the cabin. I stopped and checked the engine compartment - no smell, walked around the car and detected a strong petrol smell near the filling inlet. Checked the cap, no problem so I thought the petrol attendant had spilled fuel. I drove on but soon a follow road user pulled up next to me and indicated that there was something leaking behind the car. Stopped and checked but could not see anything dripping and continued my journey however I started noticing the fuel gauge dropping rapidly. I then drove home and the following day took the car to my service station and after investigation I was told the fuel pump was defunct. Does this sound right? If the fuel pump packed up surely the car cease to operate? :shrug:
Also, if it is the pump, is there an alternative pump that can be used in stead a genuine Rover part. I believe there a Bosch product that would for the Rover? Does anyone know?
I live in South Africa and to import the part from Rimmer UK is going to be exorbitantly expensive
Please help!!

SD1too
25th June 2016, 09:10
... I was told the fuel pump was defunct. Does this sound right?
No Johan, that is nonsense. Stay away from that particular garage.

Under the back seat cushion are two inspection hatches. They cover the fuel pump (RHS) and the fuel filter (LHS). Remove these covers and you will see the top of the pump and filter modules. If either has been disturbed in the past, they can leak from their 'O' ring seals, particularly after the tank has been filled as in your case.

I think it was T-Cut who posted helpful photographs on how to release the rear seat cushion from its clips.

Simon

Johan
25th June 2016, 17:05
No Johan, that is nonsense. Stay away from that particular garage.

Under the back seat cushion are two inspection hatches. They cover the fuel pump (RHS) and the fuel filter (LHS). Remove these covers and you will see the top of the pump and filter modules. If either has been disturbed in the past, they can leak from their 'O' ring seals, particularly after the tank has been filled as in your case.

I think it was T-Cut who posted helpful photographs on how to release the rear seat cushion from its clips.

Simon
Thanks Simon I shall check this out and let you know :}

T-Cut
25th June 2016, 17:08
Here's a link: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=175

and here's another: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9108

TC