PDA

View Full Version : Engine Management CPU

gourleyb
26th June 2016, 00:47
Hello all.
I have a 2001 Connoisseur that the previous owner hooked up the battery charger to with out disconnecting the battery leads, I believe this fried the CPU as it never started again.
Any one with any similar experience and / or recommendation to get CPU repaired would be greatly appreciated. No one in Australia has the repair / testing facilities.
Thank you and looking forward to comments.
Bruce

Lovel
26th June 2016, 08:54
Hello all.
I have a 2001 Connoisseur that the previous owner hooked up the battery charger to with out disconnecting the battery leads, I believe this fried the CPU as it never started again.
Any one with any similar experience and / or recommendation to get CPU repaired would be greatly appreciated. No one in Australia has the repair / testing facilities.
Thank you and looking forward to comments.
Bruce

Petrol or diesel?

Whichever model I think you need to check the engine management fuses as they may have blown?

If not then Rimmer bros ship worldwide
If petrol
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-NNN000170

Alternatively I thought that club trader Phil-T4 had managed to Virginise petrol V6 ECM's . He would also be able to supply you with a virtual T4 which would allow you to programme in the virginised ECM if you have no dealers competent enough to do it in your area.

SD1too
26th June 2016, 12:02
Just for everyone's information, provided that the charger cables are connected to the correct battery terminals, no damage will result to your car's engine management system.

Simon

FrenchMike
26th June 2016, 14:46
I never disconnect my battery leads when i charge it (at 2 Amp rate) 15 volt limited.

And in summer,i leave a solar charger connected ;No prob

Mike

marinabrian
27th June 2016, 07:28
Petrol or diesel?

Whichever model I think you need to check the engine management fuses as they may have blown?

If not then Rimmer bros ship worldwide
If petrol
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-NNN000170

Alternatively I thought that club trader Phil-T4 had managed to Virginise petrol V6 ECM's . He would also be able to supply you with a virtual T4 which would allow you to programme in the virginised ECM if you have no dealers competent enough to do it in your area.

Bruce, I can provide a virgin V6 ECM, and although not exactly on your doorstep, Bruce Sanderson Egremont (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=6981) is at least in the same state as you, Melbourne.. and owns a T4 machine.

To be fair though, I would be checking the 150A MegaFuse on the engine compartment fusebox main incomer as this blows if a charger is connected with reverse polarity ;)

You need to take this out of circuit to test for continuity though :)

Best of luck and let us know how you get on please.

Brian :D

KernowRover
27th June 2016, 09:10
Just for everyone's information, provided that the charger cables are connected to the correct battery terminals, no damage will result to your car's engine management system.

SimonHi Simon
Can you please explain why when I had a flat battery on my 75 and I connected a charger, in the correct polarity, it set the alarm off?

Thanks

Tom

SD1too
27th June 2016, 18:36
;)Hi Simon
Can you please explain why when I had a flat battery on my 75 and I connected a charger, in the correct polarity, it set the alarm off?
I'm really sorry Tom, I can't. It would probably depend upon what type of charger you have (constant voltage output or not?) and/or the triggering mechanism of the alarm. My guess would be that the current surge may have set it off, but hopefully someone who knows how modern alarms work will be able to answer your question better. :}

I see that you're an ex-electronics engineer, so do you have a theory of your own?

Simon

KernowRover
28th June 2016, 21:05
;)
I'm really sorry Tom, I can't. It would probably depend upon what type of charger you have (constant voltage output or not?) and/or the triggering mechanism of the alarm. My guess would be that the current surge may have set it off, but hopefully someone who knows how modern alarms work will be able to answer your question better. :}

I see that you're an ex-electronics engineer, so do you have a theory of your own?

Simon

Hi Simon

I can't really understand why it should happen, but when this happened to me I rang my local Rover dealer for advice and they informed me that it was a common occuurence. When it does occur you have to wait for the backup battery to run down before the alarm will stop.

Tom

gourleyb
1st July 2016, 03:46
thank you for your reply. It is a 2.5lt. V6 petrol. All fuses seem to be ok and it would have been a 240 volt charger, not a trickle charger. Any place in the UK that you might know of or recommend to send my CPU to be repaired.
Bruce

Phil-T4
1st July 2016, 05:04
Hi Simon

Thanks

Tom

Normally its because the alarm is in its armed state when the battery goes flat, once its has power again, its still armed and detects the bonnet is open and sounds the alarm.

marinabrian
1st July 2016, 07:09
thank you for your reply. It is a 2.5lt. V6 petrol. All fuses seem to be ok and it would have been a 240 volt charger, not a trickle charger. Any place in the UK that you might know of or recommend to send my CPU to be repaired.
Bruce
Have a look at my signature Bruce, it is going to be either an NNN000170 or an NNN000655 ECM

I can certainly sort it out for you, but please remove the 150 mega fuse from the engine compartment fusebox incoming circuit first and test for continuity with a multimeter ;)

Brian :D