PDA

View Full Version : ECP wishbone bushes any good?

Mike24
26th June 2016, 12:12
I have been experiencing various clunks and creaks from the front suspension recently and discovered today that the passenger side front wheel rocks back by about half an inch when I put my foot on the tyre and push backwards. I am reasonably confident that this means the lower suspension arm bush is shot. I have a five hundred mile round-trip planned for Wednesday/Thursday next week and would like to sort this out before I go, so I was thinking I would pick up some bushes from ECP tomorrow rather than rely on the post. The ECP ones are Qdrive; I wondered if anyone has had any experience of these, or whether I would be better to postpone the job until I can get some from DMGRS. I would be grateful for advice on any aspect of the job.

marinabrian
26th June 2016, 12:25
I have been experiencing various clunks and creaks from the front suspension recently and discovered today that the passenger side front wheel rocks back by about half an inch when I put my foot on the tyre and push backwards. I am reasonably confident that this means the lower suspension arm bush is shot. I have a five hundred mile round-trip planned for Wednesday/Thursday next week and would like to sort this out before I go, so I was thinking I would pick up some bushes from ECP tomorrow rather than rely on the post. The ECP ones are Qdrive; I wondered if anyone has had any experience of these, or whether I would be better to postpone the job until I can get some from DMGRS. I would be grateful for advice on any aspect of the job.

I would hang fire MIke, and treat yourself to something like this......LINK (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIRSTLINE-FSK6365-WISHBONE-BUSH-LH-fit-Rover-75-/291709703840?fits=Car+Make%3ARover%7CModel%3A75&hash=item43eb40d6a0:g:UqMAAOSwyTZUYdjE)

The offside one can be found HERE (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIRSTLINE-FSK6366-WISHBONE-BUSH-RH-fit-Rover-75-/291292828903?fits=Car+Make%3ARover%7CModel%3A75&hash=item43d267d4e7:g:FTwAAOSw54xUYctY)

TBH Firstline are what were OEM Unipart manufacturers, and I've had a set fitted for over six years in my own car ;)

Brian :D

Mike24
26th June 2016, 12:28
Thank you for the quick reply and advice Brian; can I assume that the job isn't too urgent?

marinabrian
26th June 2016, 17:45
Thank you for the quick reply and advice Brian; can I assume that the job isn't too urgent?

Not with that amount of play Mike, do it after your road trip ;)

Mike24
26th June 2016, 19:49
Thanks Brian, I'll order the bits and have a go at the weekend!

marinabrian
26th June 2016, 23:34
Thanks Brian, I'll order the bits and have a go at the weekend!

No bother Mike, the "how to" ;)

This job needs to be done with the weight of the car on the suspension, i.e. on ramps and not axle stands if you wish to make your life easy :)

Drive the car onto ramps, undo the two M14 bolts (18mm hex) this is best done by using a standard 18mm combination spanner fitted upside down, with another ring spanner looped through the jaws of the open end to give you a bit more purchase.
Once the bolts have been cracked, wind them out using an 18mm flexible headed ratchet spanner, however on the front bolts, do not attempt to undo them completely using the ratchet spanner, otherwise you will jam the spanner between the bolt head and the anti roll bar bush securing bracket ;)

Once you have removed both bolts, then knock the old bushes rearwards off the suspension arms, wedge the arms against the subframe with a block of wood to give a bit of reaction to your knocking action ;)

Refitting the new bush

Press the bush into position on the arm using a water based lubricant not washing up liquid

I normally use a commercial grade of KY Jelly for this, as I get out of date ultrasound transmission gel for free, but liquid soap, or green original Swarfega are suitable :)

Insert the rearmost bolt, and turn anticlockwise until you hear/feel a "click", now with fingers only screw clockwise until you are happy the bolt is not cross threaded.

Now tighten the rear bolt to the point it is just nipped, and pulls the bush parallel with the subframe flange.

The front bolt can now be fitted, if the bolt hole is not aligned, with a 10" shifting spanner fitted over the loop of the bush, the bush can be rotated around the now fitted rear bolt to allow you to align correctly.

A M10 bolt can be used as a podger to roughly set up alignment too

I made the mistake of doing this job for the first time with the car on stands, six hours later......well last time I did it both sides from start to finish, took 45 minutes, and while I was on a roll, I did the ones fitted to my dad's car too

So today's top tip, this job must be done with the weight on the wheels, so ramps, not stands

Best of luck

Mike24
27th June 2016, 06:37
Thanks once again Brian; a really clear "How to". I am in the fortunate position of being able to use the inspection pit where I work (I live on site) and plan to have a look this morning to check that the ball joints are OK. I think I discovered last week the source of a long-term problem that has been baffling me ever since I got the car two years ago. As summer approaches and the weather gets warmer, I find that after a few miles of driving I get a rattling/tapping noise from the front suspension. Once or twice I have wondered if it was a creak rather than a rattle. Last week, after a twenty mile drive the noise was present again, so I tried bouncing up and down on the driver's side front wing. Sure enough, this produced a loud creaking noise. When I tried the same thing the next morning there was no noise! I'm hoping that changing the wishbone bushes will cure this. If not, I at least know that it's something to do with the suspension!

Mike24
27th June 2016, 12:52
I had a poke around under the car this morning to see if there were any obvious problems apart from the wishbone bushes. The ball joints seemed fine, but the passenger's side bush had parted company altogether and the driver's side looked like it could go any minute. I remembered that I had bought a First Line wheel bearing for my previous car (Honda Accord) from a local auto parts shop, so I thought I'd give them a ring to see if they had any Rover 75 bushes in stock. They did, but at a considerably higher price than the Ebay ones. However, shortly before I got rid of the Honda (December 2014) I had bought the replacement wheel bearing from the same shop, but never got round to fitting it and had lost the receipt. Would they give me something in part exchange for it?? Yes they would! I drove down at about half eleven, but had to hang around to get the manager to OK the refund (£32) on the bearing, drove back and got the car over the pit. As a number of people have noted the access is limited and the bolts were tight. I had a friend helping, and between us we had both sides done by 1pm. I feel much happier about the 500 mile round trip I have to do to Plymouth and back on Wednesday and Thursday, and am very grateful to Marina Brian for his advice on parts and procedure.