PDA

View Full Version : Strange electrical issue

RPWC
26th June 2016, 20:31
I have a reversing camera on the car, whenever the passenger heated seat is switched on, the camera image disappears.
Switch the seat off, the image returns, doesn't affect the driver seat at all though.

trikey
26th June 2016, 21:36
Is the 12v supply for the camera wired into the seat loom Richard?

klarzy
26th June 2016, 21:50
or is the camera feed wire too close to the seat loom and suffering from interference ??

Ennine
26th June 2016, 22:25
Insufficient data really. Is the camera hard wired or wireless, has it previosuly been working ok with the seat in operation. That would help for a starting point.

Nige

RPWC
27th June 2016, 07:07
Is the 12v supply for the camera wired into the seat loom Richard?
No it isn't Andy
or is the camera feed wire too close to the seat loom and suffering from interference ?? no , it's not,,the camera is wired to the reverse light ,the monitor is powered from t.he cigar lighter,and earthed to the door switch for the interior light.

Insufficient data really. Is the camera hard wired or wireless, has it previosuly been working ok with the seat in operation. That would help for a starting point.

Nige It's hard wired Nigel, and was working fine when I installed it. It just started doing it back in the winter.

Ennine
27th June 2016, 13:53
You've covered the remaining questions so, Does it blank either way around, that is to say, if you have the reversing camera on and then turn on the seat does it blank, or does it just come up blank if the seat is already on and if you turn the seat off does the camera spring into life?
One extra question. Are the reversing lights affected in any way ?

Nige

RPWC
27th June 2016, 16:48
Image is only affected by the seat switching on, switch it off,,image returns,,reversing lights not affected, only happens with engine running too,.
With just ignition on, the image is unaffected when seat is switched on . Start the car,select reverse(auto),image appears in mirror monitor, switch on heated seat, image goes off. Switch seat off, image returns.

steveo
27th June 2016, 18:48
Hi Richard
I had an intermittent fault (working then not ) and it turned out to be a faulty earth connection try connecting to another earth point (temporarily) and then try the seat with the earth in a different position
Regards
Steve

Ennine
27th June 2016, 18:53
The only practical way to progress from here is to check the supply voltages before and during the fault. It is possible that you're losing video signal but more likely the supply rail is going down or doing something strange. You'll need to check it at the monitor and the camera end although I would suspect it's the front end if the display is going down completely and it's not simply blanking because it's losing signal. Voltage check has to be the next logical step.
Does it use a plug-in supply regulator (down to five volts) or straight off 12volts. Sometimes the cheaper 5v regulators can have hissy fits caused by spikes. If you have a slightly dodgy connection on the seat it is a possible cause but check for voltage swing at the device first.

Nige

RPWC
27th June 2016, 19:10
Hi Richard
I had an intermittent fault (working then not ) and it turned out to be a faulty earth connection try connecting to another earth point (temporarily) and then try the seat with the earth in a different position
Regards
Stevewill do that Steve

The only practical way to progress from here is to check the supply voltages before and during the fault. It is possible that you're losing video signal but more likely the supply rail is going down or doing something strange. You'll need to check it at the monitor and the camera end although I would suspect it's the front end if the display is going down completely and it's not simply blanking because it's losing signal. Voltage check has to be the next logical step.
Does it use a plug-in supply regulator (down to five volts) or straight off 12volts. Sometimes the cheaper 5v regulators can have hissy fits caused by spikes. If you have a slightly dodgy connection on the seat it is a possible cause but check for voltage swing at the device first.

Nige
its straight off 12 volts

murphyv310
27th June 2016, 19:20
Hi Richard.
Nige's advice is spot on. I would though check all earth connections, it is possible your sharing a common earth between the display and seat, a poor connection here will effectively reduce the voltage to the display when the motor draws current. Not having a wiring diagram handy doesn't help but if the display is taking it's feed form the same circuit as the seat motors it could be dropping enough voltage to cause it to blank.
If the motor is electrically noisy it could also be the trouble, perhaps decouple the feed to the motor with a capacitor.
Again check the supply to the display when the seat moves and note if it drops much, also do the same on the display.
What are you using as a display, a Navall or other type of headunit?

RPWC
27th June 2016, 21:14
Hi Richard.
Nige's advice is spot on. I would though check all earth connections, it is possible your sharing a common earth between the display and seat, a poor connection here will effectively reduce the voltage to the display when the motor draws current. Not having a wiring diagram handy doesn't help but if the display is taking it's feed form the same circuit as the seat motors it could be dropping enough voltage to cause it to blank.
If the motor is electrically noisy it could also be the trouble, perhaps decouple the feed to the motor with a capacitor.
Again check the supply to the display when the seat moves and note if it drops much, also do the same on the display.
What are you using as a display, a Navall or other type of headunit?

Trev,its not the seat motor, its the heated seat. When the engine is running, vehicle inverse, the display is spot in, hit the passenger side heated seat button,it goes off, turn off heated seat ,image comes back, nothing to do with seat motor.

klarzy
27th June 2016, 21:21
Richard...

In the morning, unplug the big black connector under the seat, this will isolate the heaters.

if you get interference when pushing the seat button then I would look at the earthing, if not I would change the power supply used as you may be getting voltage drop to below the threshold of the cameras operation.

murphyv310
27th June 2016, 23:14
The heater draws a good few amps so if on the same circuit the voltage could be dipping, check the earths as has been said.
Rich although I said motors the principal is the same.

Ennine
27th June 2016, 23:31
I notice you say it's earthed to the door switch for the interior light. At what point have you taken this earth ?

Nige

murphyv310
28th June 2016, 06:45
I notice you say it's earthed to the door switch for the interior light. At what point have you taken this earth ?

Nige

Good point Nige.
There are good earthing points on the inside of the inner wing panel adjacent to the glove box/fuse box.

RPWC
28th June 2016, 07:33
I didn't know that., thanks for that Trev

steveo
28th June 2016, 07:40
Good point Nige.
There are good earthing points on the inside of the inner wing panel adjacent to the glove box/fuse box.

Some good earth points at rear of glove box, and out of sight is a bonus
Steve