PDA

View Full Version : Help Please.... I think I need a new fuel pump!!

MDMH757
27th June 2016, 07:42
Good morning all,

Please help... Doing my usual routine this morning taking kids to school...

did my oil/coolant checks (all ok), got in car MG ZTT (1.8T), turned key car fired up briefly then died (ie, just stopped).... have tried starting again, after leaving it (while took kids to school in wife's car)... turns over but doesn't fire, which has got me thinking it could be the fuel pump??? anybody got any ideas....

If it is fuel pump? anybody know where I can get one at short notice around liverpool/manchester area... does Mat (DMGRS) stock them? also is there a thread or "how to" for replacement.

Any help would most appreciated....

Cheers

Maurice:eek:

MDMH757
27th June 2016, 08:00
.... Just been reading up on this for more info.... could it be the filter housing coming apart??? ie need an orange clip.... if so, where would I get one?

Cheers

Maurice

Ravinder
27th June 2016, 08:05
Did you get the inertia switch message on your display?

MDMH757
27th June 2016, 08:19
Hi Ravinder,

No I don't think so....
What does it look like?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

murphyv310
27th June 2016, 08:27
Hi.
Could well be filter separation, also could be the pump fuse or relay.
Try and get an assistant, get him to switch on the ignition while you listen at the filler cap, you should hear the pump for a few seconds, if it runs at least you can discount the pump, relay and fuse, making the filter problem most likely.
Cam sensors can fail but usually not in the way you describe. Can you check the error codes?

MDMH757
27th June 2016, 09:44
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your reply.... It isn't the fuel pump (although I did replace the fuse as it had 30A not 20A??? as stated in Haynes Manual.... can hear the pump when turn key.

Checked the filter too.... don't think it is that either as the seal between the two parts (Top & housing) appears good... not loose, appears to be a good tight fit.

I guess it must something up the front end then... any ideas??? Battery on charge now as had drained a bit.

Cheers

Maurice:eek:

T-Cut
27th June 2016, 09:45
A point to remember about FFS is that continual attempts to start the engine will result in the fuel being transferred to the LHS of the tank. It will do this until the pump as nothing left to err, pump. When that happens, apart from fitting the orange clip, you'll need more petrol putting into the tank.

Your description certainly has the characteristics of Fuel Filter Syndrome so a venture into the tank is on the cards. You'll be wise to fit the clip whatever the cause turns out to be, so get one ordered.

There are HowTos on lifting the rear seat cushion to gain access to the tank port as well as fitting the clip and returning the filter unit to the tank. This last step in itself is a common cause of trouble, so ensure you have familiarised yourself with every step before diving in.

TC

MDMH757
27th June 2016, 09:48
Cheers TC,

Do you know where I can get the orange clips from?

Cheers

Maurice

T-Cut
27th June 2016, 09:56
Do you know where I can get the orange clips from?

I see Rimmer are saying WJC000230 is NLA http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-WJC000230

but Endon Services are still listing them. http://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/search.php?search_query=wjc000230&x=0&y=0

Worth asking and do a Google search on the part number, which usually come up with something.

TC

murphyv310
27th June 2016, 09:58
Hi.
From Rimmer brothers I believe. My car is the original set up which has a different filter and doesn't suffer with this problem.
Cam sensor is a possible as is the crank sensor, a T4 session may be called for if it's not the filter.

T-cut beat me to it. Marinabrian has used a self tapper in the past.

MDMH757
27th June 2016, 10:05
Many thanks to you both T-Cut & Murphyv310

Will check out Rimmers...

Cheers

Maurice

MDMH757
29th June 2016, 21:51
ALL SORTED NOW!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

It was the Fuel Filter Separation.... however the filter top and bottom parts weren't aligned properly about 5mm difference, (surprised its lasted 12.5 years), so had to twist the two parts to line up so i could fit the "Orange" clip (actually white, from ebay), put filter back in the port, added some petrol, as I figured the level would have dropped on the pump side of the tank (after frantically trying to start the car to get kids to school on Monday Morning!!). Turned key and fired up straight away!!! :D:D... checked for leaks... none and then replaced backseat.

Happy bunny now!!! as for the last two days, clocked up about 45 miles cycling to and from work (in the rain!!), so will be glad to get back in the drivers seat again...

Next job..... Front Shocks/strut top mounts/droplinks..... so will be back for advice!!!

Many thanks to T-Cut, Murphyv310 & Ravinder for their word of wisdom!!!

Cheers
Maurice:bowdown::D

DMGRS
30th June 2016, 22:52
The FOC is a fantastic fix - still waiting for XPart to either have some made up, or buy some in so we can stock them. :)