PDA

View Full Version : ABS Sensor/light

bikerdude666
27th June 2016, 08:18
Morning all, just a quick question. While fitting the new abs sensor on the rear a couple of weeks ago, it got stuck and snapped in half while trying to pull it back out. A replacement is on the way, but the MOT is booked for tomorrow afternoon, and I'm not sure it'll be here by then, and even if it is I'm not sure I'll have time to fit it. So would the light go out with the sensor just plugged in and left under the boot carpet until I have time to fit it weds or thurs? Or does it need to be near the magnetic ring to pick up some sort of signal for the light to go off?

If it needs to be fitted, is it going to be possible to fit it without removing the wheel bearing, I guess I'm going to have to try and enlarge the hole, but the bearing is only 2 weeks old, but took a firm push to fit, so am not hopeful of it coming off very easily. Not without leaving the inner race on the shaft like the last 2.

And finally, if just plugging in wont work, and I don't have time to fit it, is there a relatively simple way of stopping the light showing on the dash just to get it through the MoT?

I can't really postpone the MOT as we're going to legoland on Friday, so need my car, and so need time to fix anything else that might come back as a fail. My wife's car is uncomfortable, ridiculously thirty at the moment, and quite frankly, unlikely to make that sort of trip without the aid of a breakdown truck....

Thanks.

chris75
27th June 2016, 16:29
I think you are going to need the hub off again .
The sensor is known to be sensitive to the gap from the reluctor ring , so I guess a foot or so away in the boot might be too far !
The old broken sensor will need to be driven out , and that will need the hub removing for access. Once out , a light clean up with a round file to clear the rust / muck is all that should be needed . Don't get carried away , just keep trying until the sensor will slide in with a bit of grease on . You don't want it loose .
The MOT test will check that the warning light does a self test when the ignition is switched on , so you can't disable it .
Not what you wanted to hear but it rarely is , is it ? Good luck :}

bikerdude666
27th June 2016, 18:04
Thanks, but it seems being in the boot is fine.... Sensor turned up today so plugged it in and turned ignition on, light comes on for a second or 2, then goes out. The old sensor is removed already, I'll see if the hub will come off easily and then hopefully fit the sensor properly tomorrow, if I don't get a chance, I'll hide the sensor behind the seats for the test and fit it properly on Wednesday.

RogerHeinz57
27th June 2016, 18:14
This maybe ok if the car is static, but may become an issue when moved/driven as the sensor will be unable to synchronise the other 3 wheel speeds with vehicle in motion, and will illuminate the abs light to the test, during the test and on the way home with a failure.

Stick it on before the rain starts Derrick !

bikerdude666
27th June 2016, 19:42
This maybe ok if the car is static, but may become an issue when moved/driven as the sensor will be unable to synchronise the other 3 wheel speeds with vehicle in motion, and will illuminate the abs light to the test, during the test and on the way home with a failure.

Stick it on before the rain starts Derrick !

Hadn't given that a thought, will hopefully have time to try and fit it but I'm on nights this week, so will be sleeping in the morning, then supposed to having some tyres fitted in the afternoon before the MOT at half 3

bikerdude666
28th June 2016, 14:41
Managed to fit it, and managed to do it without removing the wheel bearing, but it was a bit of a pain, hope I don't have to do another for a while. Now sat in the MOT station waiting impatiently, pretty sure it's going to fail though as the tyre bloke couldn't make it in the end so think at the tyres will fail.