PDA

View Full Version : ztt cdti non starter

Robbberd
11th July 2016, 10:51
Hi

decided to clean plenums out on my car , just bought it , it has been standing for a long while so decided to clean out plenums.
i also needed to check out a strange wire that had been piggy backed onto a fuse in the fuse box , the wire ran along into the plenums.

whilst taking out the covers/ecu and pollen filters...the wire decided to come out, it appeared to go through the bulkhead into the car ( prob to fuse box????) i also noticed the ecu had a garage name written on it in pen, so i assume it has been tinkered with , i also removed the battery as it needed charging....now after putting everything back....it wont start....it tries and tries...the starter works....before all this it did atart and drive...there are no warning lights on either....
is it this wire ? has it bypassed something ?? also the keyfob did not open the car remotley before or now ?

any clues ? please

TomRS
11th July 2016, 10:58
Hi

decided to clean plenums out on my car , just bought it , it has been standing for a long while so decided to clean out plenums.
i also needed to check out a strange wire that had been piggy backed onto a fuse in the fuse box , the wire ran along into the plenums.

whilst taking out the covers/ecu and pollen filters...the wire decided to come out, it appeared to go through the bulkhead into the car ( prob to fuse box????) i also noticed the ecu had a garage name written on it in pen, so i assume it has been tinkered with , i also removed the battery as it needed charging....now after putting everything back....it wont start....it tries and tries...the starter works....before all this it did atart and drive...there are no warning lights on either....
is it this wire ? has it bypassed something ?? also the keyfob did not open the car remotley before or now ?

any clues ? please

Long shot but the wire could have been an imobilzer bypass from a uncoded ecu change.
Im not 100% clued up but sounds reasonable.

Robbberd
11th July 2016, 11:39
Long shot but the wire could have been an imobilzer bypass from a uncoded ecu change.
Im not 100% clued up but sounds reasonable.

hmm , i thought it might be something like that , just needed to clarify... I have a ecu/ews/transponder from my old ZT ( long story ) ill see if i swap everything if it works ...i need to move the car asap :eek::eek:

TomRS
11th July 2016, 13:05
hmm , i thought it might be something like that , just needed to clarify... I have a ecu/ews/transponder from my old ZT ( long story ) ill see if i swap everything if it works ...i need to move the car asap :eek::eek:

Certainly worth a shot if you have no T4/TOAF access and you've got some spare bits from your other ZT.
Although might be worth talking to MarinaBrian or one of the other T4 gurus about getting the ECU correctly coded so you can 100% rule that out?

LotusLC
11th July 2016, 13:36
Certainly worth a shot if you have no T4/TOAF access and you've got some spare bits from your other ZT.
Although might be worth talking to MarinaBrian or one of the other T4 gurus about getting the ECU correctly coded so you can 100% rule that out?

First port of call, MarinaBrian ;)

Robbberd
11th July 2016, 14:06
First port of call, MarinaBrian ;)

HI , normally i woujld , but i need to move the car tonight...moving house :shrug::bowdown::duh:

like i say it worked fine apart foprm keyfob not working...now with battery disconnect , the ecu being a replacement and the "wire" issue , i am convinced it is a bypass .

just hope this will be a quick fix , only paid £200 for the car , i must really ask on the forum if anybody knows the car ??
ill dig the reg out

Robbberd
12th July 2016, 08:31
Hi , Please help:bowdown:

changed the EWS/ECU and Transponder , still wont start , ive tried to see where this wire went but nothing is obvious.

ill try disconnecting battery again ?? Do i need a BCU from the same car the new EWS etc came from??

Wire was from fuse box in engine bay,ran through plenum, past pollen filter and into cabin, ive checked BCU and Fuse box , cant see any cut wires or dodgy connections...does anybody know where this wire might have gone, i need to move car asap as moving house..
its trying to start but nothing , no fuel pump etc

marinabrian
12th July 2016, 08:39
Have a look HERE (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1349773&postcount=7)

I bet the wire went to pin nine on the most inboard connector of your ECM, black/pink ;)

Brian :D

Robbberd
12th July 2016, 08:57
hi , thank you Brian

the wire was connected to one of the blank fuse slots in the underbonnet fuse in the engine bay that are reserved for petrol only models ( no F3 ) then it ran to the inside of the car through to what i can only assume behind the glovebox area , its this wire that wasnt connected , ill try and take a picture tonight .:bowdown:

Robbberd
13th July 2016, 15:27
Hi , didnt manage to get any pics , any more ideas i can try ??

" wire comes from top of engine bay fuse box , its been piggy backed onto F3 , then the wire went through to the the area behind glove box , where i can only assume it went to the BCU or fuse box ? does anybody have an idea where it would have connected to ??

its still connected to engine bay fuse box ,, but the wire is just hanging bbetween BCU and Fuse box

thank you:bowdown:

marinabrian
13th July 2016, 15:42
Hi , didnt manage to get any pics , any more ideas i can try ??

" wire comes from top of engine bay fuse box , its been piggy backed onto F3 , then the wire went through to the the area behind glove box , where i can only assume it went to the BCU or fuse box ? does anybody have an idea where it would have connected to ??

its still connected to engine bay fuse box ,, but the wire is just hanging bbetween BCU and Fuse box

thank you:bowdown:

Possibly wired to the fuel pump relay?

Does the fuel pump run on ignition position 2?

Robbberd
13th July 2016, 15:53
no...no fuel pump at all ??

:bowdown:

Robbberd
13th July 2016, 17:10
Would that cause the remote central locking to fail too?.

marinabrian
13th July 2016, 18:33
Would that cause the remote central locking to fail too?.

Now let me see.........

http://saintpetersblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/crystal-ball-1.jpg

Check that you have power to fuse 10 of the passenger compartment fusebox ;)

Or you could hotwire the white and purple to the underbonnet fuel pump to +12 and see if the car will start :shrug:

Have you done the checks I suggested in my earlier post?

Robbberd
14th July 2016, 09:27
HI , struggling at moment , moving house , tools packed , no testing equipment to be found .

i will get straight on it , oh and its been NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- raining everytime lol

thank you Brian